What distance race?

CraigCCW

I have done a few races, but longest distance I have ever done is 35Km (it was a really flat race). I am really wanting to do more distance, and there are a few races coming up with a 45km option, but I am not sure if I will be able to do that distance and still enjoy it.

I know that I won't know until i try it, but any advice on how to measure ones ability to do certain distances would help greatly.

If you want to race 45km then do a 45km ride at least once before the race.

Go out and ride that distance a few times,make sure you doing a reasonable amount of ascending.and then judge how you feel.

Even better yest go and train for a 60km event and then the 45km will be a breeze.

I always find that the excitement of the race and all the other competitors riding with you helps to push that extra little bit out of you that you didn't know you have.

Enter for the 45km and take it easy.

1.Check where the pack you finished on the races you did. Front third, mid third, tail third? Check the longer race results to give you an idea of how long you are going to take to finish it if you end up in about the same part of the race.

2.Check how much total climbing the longer race have. Route profile is available for most of the bigger races.

3.Check how technical the route is. Lots of difficult single track, rough loose descents or easy jeep track. Route descriptions are available but somewhat unreliable.

Yes, you should go for it but also prepare for it. Using the above, you can work out what to train for.

if in doubt, choose the longer option.

a long hard day in the saddle makes you stronger and builds character. Plus, you can't be called a cyclist unless you have blown completely on a bike ride/race with another 40+km's to go

if in doubt, choose the longer option.

a long hard day in the saddle makes you stronger and builds character. Plus, you can't be called a cyclist unless you have blown completely on a bike ride/race with another 40+km's to go

Aint that the truth.

Hi I've done the tour of durban 105km road race now I want to do the compendium 45km mtb race bush. How does the distance compare with the road to the bush.im just hoping I would manger the 45km

Believe me when i say, just get on the bike and ride, you will enjoy it, just remember to stay within your own limits, distance is not really the factor to consider, more your own fitness level

I have done a few races, but longest distance I have ever done is 35Km (it was a really flat race). I am really wanting to do more distance, and there are a few races coming up with a 45km option, but I am not sure if I will be able to do that distance and still enjoy it.

I know that I won't know until i try it, but any advice on how to measure ones ability to do certain distances would help greatly.

Just do it...you will surprise yourself. if there is one thing ive learned during my cycling and triathlon years (there has not been many haha) is you can push yourself further that what you think. Your mind is the limit to what you can do

I see you live in the sunninghill are, should go for a ride sometime

I'm not sure whether you are talking about MTB or road races, however I know of many people who have never raced in their life and with a bit of training have gone on to "debut" at the 94.7, finishing it while having a great time as well.

Just enter and do it! ;)