How often do you fall?

1. The question should be how often do you NOT fall.

2. If you aren't falling, you aren't trying hard enough.

3. Chicks dig scars.

There is your answer.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First learn proper MTB technique on flats. When you are comfortable only then switch to clipless. I started on clipless and fell often, mainly because my balance etc. wasn't good enough. Since riding flats my control of the bike through using my legs better and proper weight distribution have resulted in less fall of late. Also you are more willing to take on obstacles because you know you can bail.

Bought some 661 DH style protective gear for elbows and knees. Keeps me nice and save!

Interesting thoughts, although I am comfortable in the clipless maybe I should give it a Franklin and Bash. Ooh what a mixture such a pretty picture. Sorry mind ran away with me there.

I would suggest going for a bike fit as well....

Why do you think that will help?

Interesting thoughts, although I am comfortable in the clipless maybe I should give it a Franklin and Bash. Ooh what a mixture such a pretty picture. Sorry mind ran away with me there.

Haha! I ride with full cycling kit (stywe broekie en al) with white scater shoes.

eelvio - happy to meet up and give you a couple pointers. Hit me up with a PM if you keen

If that offer is going around I would be super stoked to take you up on that! Maybe throw in some Windhoeks as a thanks! :thumbup:

Some interesting answers and probably good advice. Thank you everyone for getting involved.

I have to say though that I am not scared of the clipless pedals,or the terrain as such. I must admit I did not like Cobra first time or 2nd but today I was pretty fast and happy.

I think that fatigue, fixation and speed(lack of) are probably top of my list of causes excuses.

I am interested in thought of riding flats for awhile and going back to clipless but my mind says its a backwards move :wacko:

I think the frequency at which you fall is very closely related to the risks you are willing to take. If you fall frequently, it probably means that you are riding at the limits of your ability without being intimidated by it. That's a good thing!

If you ride like a girl you'll never fall, but you'll also never smile!

Some interesting answers and probably good advice. Thank you everyone for getting involved.

I have to say though that I am not scared of the clipless pedals,or the terrain as such. I must admit I did not like Cobra first time or 2nd but today I was pretty fast and happy.

I think that fatigue, fixation and speed(lack of) are probably top of my list of causes excuses.

I am interested in thought of riding flats for awhile and going back to clipless but my mind says its a backwards move :wacko:

I don't know. I'd like to try flat pedals, but the cost of new pedals and shoes have stood in my way so far. I don't consider it to be a backwards move, I'd rather argue that it makes you a more complete cyclist if you can get to a point where you can ride equally as well with cleats and flat pedals.

Its probably safe for your OH to buy some new shirts now...

Well lets not get ahead of ourselves ;)

Enough to know you never stop learning, not enough to ever think I've had enough!

I must admit I did not like Cobra first time or 2nd but today I was pretty fast and happy.

Cobra is a tricksie critter, you're not doing too badly if you're riding it. But watch out, it can be your best friend for months and then, out of nowhere, an endless nemesis. Maybe it's just me though <_<

Since I learned how to back-flip over roots and rocks I have been falling much less...

Irregularly, but more often than I'd like and much more than I care to admit to.

I think the frequency at which you fall is very closely related to the risks you are willing to take. If you fall frequently, it probably means that you are riding at the limits of your ability without being intimidated by it. That's a good thing!

If you ride like a girl you'll never fall, but you'll also never smile!

The other day I was passed by a girl. She went by so fast I thought my chain had snapped.

Archived