Would you source straight from Taiwan if you could

TaiwaneseFarmer

Guest EdEdEd

I would! And I think the margin the LBS makes here in this country are rediculas would never pay it! Not ever! I am in retail and am dealer of a top motorcycle brand and I dream of the margins that cycle shops run at! I rate the more grey imports the better! How often is there actually a warranty on a frame?

Mr Wyatt will looove you!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they are.

A better way to put it is the two famous ones.

Both Giant and Merida have become branders and assemblers a long time ago.

The real manufacturing work gets done at a multitude of medium to small sized OEM factories.

With China and South East Asia entering into the bicycle world market with trade agreements. Most of the smaller and medium sized factories here in Taiwan have moved unto high end stuff.

Great Carbon stuff etc.

Most of the high end American and EU stuff still gets made here.

Lots of high quality to be had, from here as well as Japan.

Guest EdEdEd

Yes, they are.

So what are you doing in Taiwan? Farming? :eek:

Trader.....with my eye on a piece of farmland :)

Can take the boertjie out of the platteland, but not the platteland.................................you know the drill :)

No I wouldn't because where do I go if I have a warranty claim. Also the livelihood of the SA Business.

Thank you, you have a good point.

1. Warranty, back to the supplier and then to manufacturer, like they do in EU and USA.

2. This is an emotional issue to an extent, yes they have to make a livelihood. Then again, so does the supplier and the consumer.

Each has the choice of where to spend their money and how they choose do that is also up to them.

Thank you for your opinion.

I appreciate it.

Edited by TaiwaneseFarmer

Would you source from a registered trading company directly out of Taiwan for your components?

Higher end stuff will of course be cheaper, and group buying on tires etc will save a lot of money.

What would be your concerns as a customer?

Thanks.

Expat in Taiwan

What products are you talking about here?

A link?

Easy to say the goods must be sent back for a warranty ect.........who pays for the broken teeth?I've seen some really bad quality frames and wheels in the last while.

Would you lick your own nuts if you could?

I can, but like importing my bits and pieces and working on my bike, I prefer someone else to do it for me......

What products are you talking about here?

A link?

Easy to say the goods must be sent back for a warranty ect.........who pays for the broken teeth?I've seen some really bad quality frames and wheels in the last while.

Gummibear;

Like I stated before, it was a question, not an offer.

I think that with the advent of online bike shops like CRC and much more international travel prices in SA have become a bit more rational. I think I paid less for a Fizik Gobi saddle a year ago at CWC than what it was selling for 5 years ago in my LBS. Prices on items like chain wheels, chains etc seems to have stabilised to match online shops.

An overseas based friend bought a top end Spez MTB in SA on price when he could pretty much have bought anywhere in the world as he travels a great deal (pardon the pun).

The useless bloody ront is our main source of pain.

But maybe there is still a niche or two. I would only buy if prices were massively less for closely comparable items..

Give us some detail of the high end products available, minimum order quantity, shipping time etc. Only then we can compare and evaluate.

Broker;

Like I stated before, it was a question, not an offer.

I WANT TO ADD TO MY ORIGINAL STATEMENT why I WONT DEAL WITH YOU

i wont deal with you because of your attitude, you constantly saying

IT WAS NOT A OFFER IT WAS A QUESTION

i can only imagine your *** attitude when there is a warranty ISSUE if you so arrogant now

For me its a thin line between price and convenience.

If i can drive down to the bike shop and get the same part for 50 bucks more than online, i would do it. But to wait weeks and weeks to save a couple of bucks does not equate to me.

I am however waiting for some parts from the east, and with the wait, the items still come in wayyy cheaper than any similar itmes available locally.