Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

I am learning that this will be like Mountain Bikes ... you always want to try the next one, then the next one and the next one 

The idea of cleaning a chain and dealing with replacing chains and sprockets does make me feel 🤮

Chains are cool..lil maintenance every now and again.  Replace every so often and they pretty much stress free. 

I wouldn’t discount a bike because of the drive. There are advantages to chains too.

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been wanting to post these for a while.  I accidentally dropped the 660 when I was taking off the rear wheel (Rookie mistake I know!) and broke the plastics on the RHS which were the only undamaged ones.  The LHS ones were broken and badly repaired when I bought it so I was on the cusp of ordering a new set of reproduction plastics from Aus when I thought to just try Custom Creations here in Krugersdrop.  What a brilliant job they did.  For reference, the tank is still original,  They somehow managed to touch up the OEM stickers and repair the damage to a point where you really cant tell they have been repaired.  Super impressed with them!

20240202_125618.jpg

20240202_125626.jpg

18 hours ago, Hairy said:

going to "look at" these two hopefully over the weekend.

image.png.5745de8a9fa1a7a2563714c2ad5d90ed.png

image.png.7782c8d086f541a266ebeddb8ebe8154.png

Both gorgeous, man, that 990 is something lekka for my collection! Please Do Not reveal where it is, nor its price ha ha! See if you can ride the 1190, that acceleration will make you smile! Then take the traction control off…… On a serious note, I find the TC on these bikes to be excellent, you do not feel it being intrusive as I have heard can be so on other models. The dirt mode allows ample spin up when required. It still has 100hp in dirt and rain mode. I use Rain mode too when on the tar in the wet. If not it easily spins the back wheel on a top gear acceleration from 100 kph to pass traffic! LC8 engine is magic…..that thing will sound awesome with that pipe.

sorry…..rambling now……you realise too that I am an 1190 fanboy! 

3 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Chains are cool..lil maintenance every now and again.  Replace every so often and they pretty much stress free. 

I wouldn’t discount a bike because of the drive. There are advantages to chains too.

I do a lot of chain cleaning and lubing and adjustment…..they last ages. I do actually carry a motorcycle chain breaker and suitable links in my two tool kits. I in the 1190 size and one for the smaller bikes…..the 520 link can double to 525 I am told but the 1190 needs 530.

2 hours ago, Andymann said:

Been wanting to post these for a while.  I accidentally dropped the 660 when I was taking off the rear wheel (Rookie mistake I know!) and broke the plastics on the RHS which were the only undamaged ones.  The LHS ones were broken and badly repaired when I bought it so I was on the cusp of ordering a new set of reproduction plastics from Aus when I thought to just try Custom Creations here in Krugersdrop.  What a brilliant job they did.  For reference, the tank is still original,  They somehow managed to touch up the OEM stickers and repair the damage to a point where you really cant tell they have been repaired.  Super impressed with them!

20240202_125618.jpg

20240202_125626.jpg

This looks super good. The plastic tank on my Aprilia RS125 needs some attention, seems I need to ship it to these guys.

22 hours ago, IceCreamMan said:

Them BMW ous are just too damn good at their jobs. And they gave me a superlative deal. Basically wiping out any depreciation first year of ownership. Can’t really go wrong. 

Congratulations, enjoy the bike! 

37 minutes ago, Spokey said:

Both gorgeous, man, that 990 is something lekka for my collection! Please Do Not reveal where it is, nor its price ha ha! See if you can ride the 1190, that acceleration will make you smile! Then take the traction control off…… On a serious note, I find the TC on these bikes to be excellent, you do not feel it being intrusive as I have heard can be so on other models. The dirt mode allows ample spin up when required. It still has 100hp in dirt and rain mode. I use Rain mode too when on the tar in the wet. If not it easily spins the back wheel on a top gear acceleration from 100 kph to pass traffic! LC8 engine is magic…..that thing will sound awesome with that pipe.

sorry…..rambling now……you realise too that I am an 1190 fanboy! 

I am not saying the 990 is R75K

2 minutes ago, Spokey said:

Ha ha, at least I don’t know where it is! …….for now.

I am not saying it is in Durbanville.....for now

Bad jokes aside ... any of you riff raff lining up for the new Kove's?

@Spokey I love the fact that you have such a diverse taste in bikes. It’s clear you love them for the love of riding. People get so caught up in the marketing bs and brand names and loyalty, it’s great to read you perspective.

@IceCreamMan I’m jelly of that 850 GSA, tubeless, cruise control and all the little extras on that bike, makes it almost perfect in my eyes. Enjoy, and please post photos. 

48 minutes ago, RocknRolla said:

@Spokey I love the fact that you have such a diverse taste in bikes. It’s clear you love them for the love of riding. People get so caught up in the marketing bs and brand names and loyalty, it’s great to read you perspective.

@IceCreamMan I’m jelly of that 850 GSA, tubeless, cruise control and all the little extras on that bike, makes it almost perfect in my eyes. Enjoy, and please post photos. 

Ha ha, yeah, I get a kick out of riding my little 125’s around just as much as the big bikes. To be honest though the thrill is related to the distance ridden…..so not too far then! I am  lucky to be the custodian of Aprilia, BMW, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM and Yamaha……there was once a time a Harley almost joined the garage, but as of now……none!

A quick meeting this morning followed by a awesome little ride through the Durbanville Hills to take a look at a little KTM 990 Adv, and then took the following for a little spin in the neighbourhood.

1. 2016 GSA 1200

2. KTM 1190 R

3. KTM 990 adv Dakar 30th edition colour scheme

I wish I could have taken the 1190 for a longer spin.

The GSA felt like the 2018 GS I took out to Kalkbay, and was a good feel.

That "little" 990 feels like fun, lots of fun.

So I left a little more confused, and left wondering if it would be worthwhile trying out the Honda Africa Twin as it falls somewhere between the 1190 and 990.

The air cooled GSA 2010/11/12 is still in my cross hairs .... though after riding the 2016 it might be a matter of selling the HD and MTB now to cash in hand, and add a bit more to this budget over time to get a 2016 and younger GSA. What I do dread is that I would have to use to car then if I go to meetings....so not much of a highlight to me.

I don't like debt, so would rather save up vs taking out a loan to pick up any shortfall on a new bike that has my interest....it sucks, but ja, it also does not suck.

5 hours ago, RocknRolla said:

Will be the first bike I own with cruise control, quick shifter and little spot lights. Might need to buy one of those Schuberth helmets that half open now and look the part. 

Not much in the way of adventure riding here, maybe overkill but hey I will find some adventure some where. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

1 hour ago, sawystertrance said:

..And you haven't mention a Tiger 900 yet, just to add to the confusion. 

does not mean I have not considered it, or been trawling YT RE the 900.