Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And only R500k, fark me.

Yes very expensive, but I really think that, that raw power from opening the throttle will be an out-of-this world experience.

Or should I just sell the motomia for what I can get and buy a little scooter for commuting, until I can my my NC?

My son has a Bigboy 250 that he rides to varsity. After 18000 km It also has some clutch slip and now it has stripped 3rd gear and he is busy taking it to pieces. But exams have interrupted progress.

He has done quite a lot of searching on the internet. He managed to find a workshop manual on line for a generic Chinese motor that is quite similar to his. The motor is apparently based on an old Honda 125cc motor and most of the Chinese bikes have very similar motors.

He has found shops online that advertise clutch plates and gaskets. Prices are quite cheap. He thinks he should also be able to get gear parts. Piston's, cylinders etc are also available. But he has not reached the stage of ordering stuff yet. Internationally you can order oil coolers, water cooled cylinders and lots of weird aftermarket stuff. Some of the parts on his bike are bit different from the common ones, for styling reasons, and he is battling with things like front brake pads. Identifying and ordering the correct parts is not that easy. 

I don't know if you will find a local workshop to work on these bikes. Trouble is cost of labor is likely to be high relative to the initial purchase price. A lot of the parts and assembly is very cheap, so day to day maintenance has been quite high with random bits failing, falling off or wearing out prematurely. But the core frame and motor are very solid.

If you are mechanically minded, motivated and can manage with alternative transport from time to time, you could go a long way on one of these bikes, but I suspect most people buy them new and stop riding or upgrade before they reach 20000 km.

My son has a Bigboy 250 that he rides to varsity. After 18000 km It also has some clutch slip and now it has stripped 3rd gear and he is busy taking it to pieces. But exams have interrupted progress.

He has done quite a lot of searching on the internet. He managed to find a workshop manual on line for a generic Chinese motor that is quite similar to his. The motor is apparently based on an old Honda 125cc motor and most of the Chinese bikes have very similar motors.

He has found shops online that advertise clutch plates and gaskets. Prices are quite cheap. He thinks he should also be able to get gear parts. Piston's, cylinders etc are also available. But he has not reached the stage of ordering stuff yet. Internationally you can order oil coolers, water cooled cylinders and lots of weird aftermarket stuff. Some of the parts on his bike are bit different from the common ones, for styling reasons, and he is battling with things like front brake pads. Identifying and ordering the correct parts is not that easy.

I don't know if you will find a local workshop to work on these bikes. Trouble is cost of labor is likely to be high relative to the initial purchase price. A lot of the parts and assembly is very cheap, so day to day maintenance has been quite high with random bits failing, falling off or wearing out prematurely. But the core frame and motor are very solid.

If you are mechanically minded, motivated and can manage with alternative transport from time to time, you could go a long way on one of these bikes, but I suspect most people buy them new and stop riding or upgrade before they reach 20000 km.

Good points there, which reminded me that you'll pretty much be guaranteed to get all and any spares for these engines on eBay for peanuts, I'd definitely have a look there at the very least.

mine is on 29500 km. There is a guy in brackenfell who used to own the gomoto shop, went out of business, because of the franchise agreement. but he still works on the cheap and nasties. 

Perhaps you can give him a call?

I also changed the calipers to go with the new brake pads. 

20w40 multi grade, not synthetic.

Those twisters have a very good reputation!! 

Just remember you need to use a Motorcycle specific oil in the engine - a lot of Multigrades which are designed for cars also have an additive added which is not compatible with a wet clutch (apart from some race bikes and some Ducatis, all motorcycles have clutches which run in the engine oil), so when you put in a car oil it starts messing with the clutch plates and causes the clutch to slip.

Just remember you need to use a Motorcycle specific oil in the engine - a lot of Multigrades which are designed for cars also have an additive added which is not compatible with a wet clutch (apart from some race bikes and some Ducatis, all motorcycles have clutches which run in the engine oil), so when you put in a car oil it starts messing with the clutch plates and causes the clutch to slip.

oooooo........ oops...  Insert face palm emoji.......

Thanks for this!! It might be the problem with the clutch!

Weekend schedule updated!!

Thanks Andy! Ill change the oil and see how it works. I know how to replace pedals and filters, but  for the rest, ill have to take her in. 

I have never attempted something like taking the engine apart. Who knows, perhaps I am not to useless once I do it...

Replacing or inspecting the clutch plates is not a tough job at all.

-Drain oil

-Sometimes you may need to remove a kickstart lever, gear shifter, etc depending on which side it is but otherwise a few small cap bolts and the side cover should be loose

-Then remove and inspect clutch, replace as needed. Maybe cleaning them might work.

It is probably best to have someone show you the first time. Check Youtube, amazing DIY/how-to videos out there that may show it step by step for your bike.

My Triumph tiger 800 has sooooo many good videos for everything from chain adjustment to valve clearances

I know what cover you are talking about. that is also oozing oil on warm days. it is on the gear shifters side.

The monza does not have a kick starter for some reason......