Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand completely - I'm the importer for a dirt bike brand in SA, but working for Yamaha sounds much better!  Especially pre release testing!

I wouldn't turn my nose up if they came knocking

I know their Gauteng Area Manager has just resigned.  You should try and contact the HR department......

I know their Gauteng Area Manager has just resigned.  You should try and contact the HR department......

If that was CT I'd be all over them like stink.

Really hope the Africa Twin is a proper DS bike. From what I've read it certainly looks like it. I'd prefer a smaller engine, but that's just me apparently.

attachicon.gifRD500R.png

Wish Yamaha would build this.

Won't happen, I know, but a person can dream.

Yup that won't happen.....*but* I still have a few mates over in Japan at the factory, and while they will never ever ever confirm or deny anything, they did "strongly hint" that they are busy working on some type of 2-stroke - given the chatter on the web, it's likely to be a YZ300 electric-start with direct injection.......

Yup that won't happen.....*but* I still have a few mates over in Japan at the factory, and while they will never ever ever confirm or deny anything, they did "strongly hint" that they are busy working on some type of 2-stroke - given the chatter on the web, it's likely to be a YZ300 electric-start with direct injection.......

That would be awesome!  It would dominate the market if it came about.

And be the final nail in the coffin of my business...

That would be awesome!  It would dominate the market if it came about.

And be the final nail in the coffin of my business...

You never know with those guys, they have a habit of developing stuff and then at the last minute they can the whole project.  But I've also heard it from one of the guys I know who heads up the Africa division of Motul - they were asked to help develop a new 2t oil so it seems pretty legit.  And given the direction Yamaha has taken lately with the MT09 and MT07 (both very un-Japanese designs) I think they have decided to rock the boat a bit.

Andymann, should a person manage to find an 80's vintage RZ500 V4, will you still be able to find parts for it, or is that a lost case also.

More especialy updated / uprated crank. That was the weak part of that design. Ran needle bearings, but they were soft, and seized easily. White metal bearings would be the winner there.

Andymann, should a person manage to find an 80's vintage RZ500 V4, will you still be able to find parts for it, or is that a lost case also.

Wow nice find!  Not New Old Stock - those bikes have become so collectable that the few that do have them have pretty much bought all the last stuff from Japan.  There are a few parts which were interchangeable from other models, but engine parts, and most cycle parts are pretty much unobtanium!  But, there are loads of guys here in SA, and also over in Aus who will be able to help you find stuff, so it's not impossible.  And there are a few smart guys who have done some clever engine mods to remove all the weak points so you can at least get the ride the things without being scared of something breaking.

So, if you do manage to find one, understand that you are buying a real collectors piece, and to make it collectable, you are going to have to spend some real cash!

I wish I could find one, even the RD350 Elsie's and RZ350YPVS  is very hard to come by.

I had the pleasure of taking Neels Van Niekerk's 500 for a spin in the mid 80's. What a bonkers machine, front wheel was more in the air than on the ground.

Ah well, a man can dream, can't he? :whistling:  

I wish I could find one, even the RD350 Elsie's and RZ350YPVS  is very hard to come by.

I had the pleasure of taking Neels Van Niekerk's 500 for a spin in the mid 80's. What a bonkers machine, front wheel was more in the air than on the ground.

Ah well, a man can dream, can't he? :whistling:  

Can you believe in a moment of weakness I sold this, and all the spares I had which was about 85% of another complete bike.....

post-15215-0-08162900-1431590640_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andymann

If that was CT I'd be all over them like stink.

Really hope the Africa Twin is a proper DS bike. From what I've read it certainly looks like it. I'd prefer a smaller engine, but that's just me apparently.

Not so much.... There is a small part of the market (and apparently it is growing...) that would love a choice of proper 650 DS adventure bikes that you could ride into Africa and also do the technical goat paths closer to home with. I know a few mates that are hanging onto their KTM 640's for that reason.

Can you believe in a moment of weakness I sold this, and all the spares I had which was about 85% of another complete bike.....

You silly man, you.

Clean bike with Bosson pipes. You'll never find that again.

If you aren't already slapping yourself, I will slap you!

But don't worry, Its happened to more than one of us. I moved from the RZ50 to RZ125 to RD350. Then sold the 350 when I got married! Moment of weakness as the marriage lasted less time than I had the bike!

Edited by DPG

If you aren't already slapping yourself, I will slap you! :D

But don't worry, Its happened to more than one of us. I moved from the RZ50 to RZ125 to RD350. Then sold the 350 when I got married! Moment of weakness as the marriage lasted less time than I had the bike!

Same here, RZ50 to RZ125 to RD350LC - sold it to buy RD350YPVS. Sold YPVS to buy a car (a Golf nogal - bad move, but that's a story for another day)

Later on bought a basket case RD350LC (ex track bike, got it in a few boxes) and rebuild / customised it to the hilt. Stayed in Botswana at the time, and motorcycling there was a dangerous affair at the time, so I gave it to my Nephew as a 21st gift, ANOTHER BAD MOVE. :whistling:

Then got me a XS Eleven Special (another basket case) which I rebuild and customised. Sold that when the youngster became a teeanager, to remove any chance of him pulling the same stunts I did as a teenager.

Now, I'm too old to be playing with 2-Strokes. :blush: :ph34r:

Edited by Wannabe