Sram rear hub bearing replacement

dalem44

I have realised that since Sani, my rear hub bearings are grinding and have pretty much seized. I have decided to fix this myself since I pretty much do everything else on the bike without hassle but the hubs have me stumped.

Firstly, I have never done a hub bearing so I am not too sure how to go about it.

Secondly, It is a Sram X9 rear hub and there is no info on it online besides an exploded view on the Sram website.

I haven't been able to find any videos on YouTube, not have I found a tutorial on the interwebs.

I have disassembled the hub to a point but cannot get any further.

I cannot seem to remove the black nut pictured below.

Can anyone give me some pointers, or better yet, a tutorial on how to remove X9 hub bearings.

Thanks!post-5240-0-90830000-1401303128_thumb.jpg

That's not a nut it is a dust seal. You should just be able to pull it off. The nuts are behind the dust seal. It's better to take the rotor off first as you don't want to get it full of grease.

Edited by PeterF

That's not a nut it is a dust seal. You should just be able to pull it off. The nuts are behind the dust seal. It's better to take the rotor off first as you don't want to get it full of grease.

By the look of it that is an aluminium compression nut and he will need the correct size cone spanner to unscrew it.

By the look of it that is an aluminium compression nut and he will need the correct size cone spanner to unscrew it.

+1

I'd also take the rotor off so that you don't take chunks of skin off your knuckles.

Sorry, you are right. I did not see the flats in the shadow. I have older sram x9 hubs and they have a dust seal with the nuts behind it.

Actually still not 100% convinced that that is a nut. Try grab it with a pliers and give it a pull (the dust seal/nut that is). :devil:

It is definitely a nut but I have nothing to counter rotate against in order to turn it off

It is definitely a nut but I have nothing to counter rotate against in order to turn it off

There should be a nut(pair of nuts) on the other side of the hub

Print you exploded view and keep it on hand since all the parts and the way its put together will be shown and when you see the pic and the parts in real time things will make a lot more sense. you will need cone spanners to.

Look to see if the inside of the axle can take an Allen key.

If not we usually put it in a vice with a special clamp, you could also use a vice grip (not best though) and grab it, use a piece of rubber or something to try and limit scuffing.

If not we usually put it in a vice with a special clamp, you could also use a vice grip (not best though) and grab it, use a piece of rubber or something to try and limit scuffing.

I have looked to see if the axle can take an Allen key but it is round, so that's not it.

I tried with a small clamp but I am scared I mess up the threads of the axel. I will give a vice grip a try at some stage today and see if that holds it.

When I do get the nut off, how do I remove the bearings?

Thanks for all the help thus far

I have looked to see if the axle can take an Allen key but it is round, so that's not it.

I tried with a small clamp but I am scared I mess up the threads of the axel. I will give a vice grip a try at some stage today and see if that holds it.

When I do get the nut off, how do I remove the bearings?

Thanks for all the help thus far

Whats on the opposite end of the axle?

You can also double nut the other side - just thread 2 nuts onto the axle and tighten them against each other - then hold those 2 together either in a vice, or with a spanner - it will not damage anything.

Alternately you can use a stud puller chuck to hold the axle - but decent ones are expensive.

The other end is just the threaded axel. There is a rubber dust cap? and below that is the bearing.

See image below as well as the exploded view

post-5240-0-83413700-1401346347_thumb.jpg

post-5240-0-06270900-1401346944_thumb.png

Pull the freehub off and use the 2 nuts marked 3 as your double nuts.

You are in any case going to have to take the freehub off.