Nissan Trailseeker 2 Hakahana

Muggins

Lost lost lost... A small group of us went off into the distance at around the 40 km. Then as I got back to the initial point where I thought the wrong turn happened another small group rocked up asking me where to go... Once I got back to the actual root the markings where everywhere. Don't know how we missed them or if they were replaced.

Is it possible to get the routes before hand and load them onto a gps? I know the bigger stage races have started doing this... will be making a purchase shortly if this is the case.

No they weren't replaced...Sorry for your lost. You must have been seriously head-down.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only assume that when I went into the catchment area the scanner did not register me. Odd because as he scanned my number he still asked if my name was Greg and I replied yes.

i thought it was muggins

The split after the 3rd water point was the problem, marathon went left, half went right. Problem was cars had parked in front of the boards and somebody was waving everyone down the half turn,

Might be worthwhile to add another board 50m after a split to confirm you are on the right path, but was still a very lekker ride.

I so wished at one stage that I had taken that split right and finished with the half marathon race. The one at the 4th water point that is. From then on I was only cursing life.

i thought it was muggins

Well Johan only old numb nuts here has this sort of luck.

Hills Hills Hills and more Hills is what this game is all about. Then just when you think you have it in the bag as far as hills go then you get Hakahana hills thrown at you.

But I must say still my favorite mtb trail.

Guest notmyname

70/40/20/10 are generic distances. rule of thumb is 10% either side. As you noted all publications regarding the actual route were 65k (including the profile) and Wessel strives to be within 1-2% of that for the actual race. Which BTW is very impressive (bearing in mind that things changed on the ground up till the last evening)...

No complains Johan. Thank you for all the effort. It was a Great day on the bike definitely not for sissies.

Well done to Hakahana, Nissan and Advendurance once again for putting on one of the best MTB events in SA!!

Thoroughly enjoyed the half marathon!!

I have ridden at Hakahana many times and what surprised me the most is that i hardly recognized any of the trails... Again, well done!!!!

Hi Johan, Great route thanks.

What was the total ascent for the marathon route. My Garmin measured 1581m and I would like to verify the accuracy?

I felt like Wolraad Woltemade : making 2 trips in my small bakkie to shuttle riders back the end. I found a few groups coming from Atteridgeville on the road as I was going home. Picked riders up and dropped at the finish. All did more than 80k by then. I am sure they must be gatvol...

Man that was tough, note to self, you need to train before attempting this race again..last year I was fit and I loved the route.. this year I am not fit, it was my first MTB race for the year, think I have been on my MTB about 10 times since Jan.. I couldn't handle any of the technical stuff, I was walking down stuff I loved going down last year.. I usually get irritated with guys slowing me down on the tech stuff, but I think I slowed a LOT of guys down.. to all the A batch guys I may have slowed down on the tech stuff, many apologies.. Great route overall, thanks for a great race..

Hi Johan, Great route thanks.

What was the total ascent for the marathon route. My Garmin measured 1581m and I would like to verify the accuracy?

mine got 1350m and a guy that finished with me had 1300 flat. both 910xt

Hard as hell! Was shattered at the end of the half marathon. Started cramping at 10km. Never happened to me before. Was so bad I had to get a rub down form the paramedics at the end :eek:.

On that note, what is the best cramp treatment during a race? Saw some USN cramp prevention tablets at discem yesterday?