I rode a 650b

nathrix

259 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a 650b

• Absolutely YES
    • Never EVER!
    • I already have one (650b).
    • I have a 29er
    • I'll keep my 26" cause 650b is not that significant improvement....
    • Don't care about wheel size!

Shame poor you , Who care what you think did you won a stage on the epic or came in the first 20 of a XC world cup race, if not you opinion is a Zero for us.

I only managed a 35th place at a WC race....does my opinion count?

35th placed car from the entrance

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You still haven't told us what bikes you are comparing

The bike as a whole makes more of a difference than just the wheelsize.

At the risk of be criticised for not placing on the podium, I also favoured a 29er over the 650b, specifically because it would take less out of me over 3 days. For the podium finishers they probably don't worry about that, which is also why hardtails still feature.

You still haven't told us what bikes you are comparing

The bike as a whole makes more of a difference than just the wheelsize.

Errr, geometry makes a massive difference in how a bike rides, but wheel size remains wheel size and each one has a purpose.

Errr, geometry makes a massive difference in how a bike rides, but wheel size remains wheel size and each one has a purpose.

Yes of course, but just stating that 650B sucks doesn't really give the full picture now does it?

Guest Omega Man

Yes of course, but just stating that 650B sucks doesn't really give the full picture now does it?

I rode a 650b on the weekend and I liked it.

Actually it does, for his intended use and purpose most likely, so let's ask him what he uses his bikes for.

You must be mad to think selling your beloved 26" for almost next to nothing and spending your hard earned cash on a 650b which is not that much of an improvement. Geometry perfect, high end plush parts, 27.5" wheels...uhm, feels like I'm riding 26" wheels, that sucks! No brainer. Not a significant improvement on 26" wheels buddies, although you think so, but that's in your heads and you need to justify forking out so much money in head all the time you ride it....

People who kept their 26" bikes are laughing their a$$ off at you okes, just saying...

The way I see it D is in line with what you saying, my biggest gripe is lack of tyres...for big rigs we have alot of choice and availability, whereas the 26 inch crowd get crazy specials....The 27.5 guys have neither, they must be satisfied with the "krummels"...

Guest Omega Man

You must be mad to think selling your beloved 26" for almost next to nothing and spending your hard earned cash on a 650b which is not that much of an improvement. Geometry perfect, high end plush parts, 27.5" wheels...uhm, feels like I'm riding 26" wheels, that sucks! No brainer. Not a significant improvement on 26" wheels buddies, although you think so, but that's in your heads and you need to justify forking out so much money in head all the time you ride it....

I have to say I kind of agree with you. But people want to know why. Saying stuff like 650b is crap gets people upset. I think PURELY based on wheelsize there's not enough of a difference between 26 and 650b to bin the 26 and buy a 650b. But bikes are way more than wheelsize. But that's just my opinion.

I've got an Intense Tracer and I rode a Rocky Altitude on the weekend. The things I liked on the Rocky over my Tracer were more to do with the length of the bike and the ability to lock out the rear than anything to do with wheelsize. I never noticed much difference ito wheelsize tbh. I did enjoy the bike. I liked the high speed stability and the way it climbed on the road. But when I got back on my Tracer I wasn't exactly bummed.

For me personally if I was looking to buy a new bike I'd look at a long travel 29er. (There I said it) I rode the S Works Enduro a few weeks ago. For me that's the best bike I've ever ridden. But Sadly My wife isn't orange and she doesn't drive a Range Rover and we don't live in Constantia so 110k for a bike ain't gonna happen.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest EdEdEd

So wait.... What you are ACTUALLY saying is that 26" sucks? Now that you better take back!

So wait.... What you are ACTUALLY saying is that 26" sucks? Now that you better take back!

Shurrup man, don't put words in my mouth...

I'm not saying 26" sucks at all, I still have my GT Zaskar LE with v-brakes with mavic sl cross rims (hanging on the wall).

I'm saying it must be sucks selling your 26" and "upgrading" to a 650b thinking to yourself, hell buddy, what a significant improvement in technology. But don't take my opinion seriously, I'm just a fun riding back marker.

post-4329-0-19914400-1401774016_thumb.jpg

I have a 26 and a 27.5.. never rode a 29. But I am happy with my 27.5 with 120mm .. I have lots of fun.. which has resulted in sometimes wanting to have too much fun and I end up at the ER.

Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Gen

I got the missus a 650B Juliana Furtardo Primero 140mm Carbon Enduro Weapon ...

And she loves it ... its not about the wheelsize - its about the Geometry and suspension design ...

I personally wouldnt go to 29er as I think they all ride like crap! - Fair enough they are the best option for 99% of our races here in SA - but I still hate the ride ...

So I would go 650B rather - but thats just my opinion as a world champ :whistling: :whistling: hahahhaa