I rode a 650b

nathrix

259 members have voted

1. 1. Would you purchase a 650b

• Absolutely YES
    • Never EVER!
    • I already have one (650b).
    • I have a 29er
    • I'll keep my 26" cause 650b is not that significant improvement....
    • Don't care about wheel size!

Guest EdEdEd

Shurrup man, don't put words in my mouth...

I'm not saying 26" sucks at all, I still have my GT Zaskar LE with v-brakes with mavic sl cross rims (hanging on the wall).

I'm saying it must be sucks selling your 26" and "upgrading" to a 650b thinking to yourself, hell buddy, what a significant improvement in technology. But don't take my opinion seriously, I'm just a fun riding back marker.

I know what you are saying... just getting you more inflammed :devil:

I think all this wheel size-schmeel size does make a real difference... (well it does, but whatever)

What matters is that you enjoy your wheelsize and screw the rest...

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You must be mad to think selling your beloved 26" for almost next to nothing and spending your hard earned cash on a 650b which is not that much of an improvement. Geometry perfect, high end plush parts, 27.5" wheels...uhm, feels like I'm riding 26" wheels, that sucks! No brainer. Not a significant improvement on 26" wheels buddies, although you think so, but that's in your heads and you need to justify forking out so much money in head all the time you ride it....

I bought my bike for ..... the bike, wheelsize had nothing to do with it. If Giant had put the "same" bike out in a 26" version I would have bought that one.

The difference in diameter between the 26" and 650B is 25mm, assuming the SAME width tyres.

And the difference between a 650B and 29er is 38mm

I assume the bikes you tested were both hardtails? I don't see the point of 650B hardtails (except maybe for smaller riders), if a manufacturer can't produce a 29er with decent geometry by now then maybe I should steer away from that brand.

But in the great scheme of things you get

• Good 26ers and bad 26ers
  • Good 650Bs and bad 650Bs
  • Good 29ers and bad 29ers

The rest comes down to personal preference and horses for courses.

I'll stick with my 650B Giant Trance and my 26" 1993 Diamondback Apex Singlespeed for now, when finances and time ride allow I will possibly get a 29er (I don't have the luxury of riding time to put a 29er to good use).

I know what you are saying... just getting you more inflammed :devil:

I think all this wheel size-schmeel size does make a real difference... (well it does, but whatever)

What matters is that you enjoy your wheelsize and screw the rest...

Exactly, which is why I don't see the point of the initial post.

When I bought my bike there was only one wheel size. No one ever asked if there was another size of wheel, everyone rode 26". Some won, more lost. Some blamed the bike, others blamed the legs, no one ever blamed the wheel size. Then someone, somewhere had this great idea, 29". The **** storm started. Some ride 26, some 650B and some 29. The same faces are still on the podium regardless of the wheel size.

Exactly, different strokes for different folks. Yes I agree 100%, what matters is that you enjoy your wheelsize and screw the rest...as long is it's not 650b, unless you'r a chick of course :blush:

26" still ok, wasn't suckered into buying it as with 650b's.

When I bought my bike there was only one wheel size. No one ever asked if there was another size of wheel, everyone rode 26". Some won, more lost. Some blamed the bike, others blamed the legs, no one ever blamed the wheel size. Then someone, somewhere had this great idea, 29". The **** storm started. Some ride 26, some 650B and some 29. The same faces are still on the podium regardless of the wheel size.

There's the rub...

Upgrading from 26" to 27.5 not such a significant jump, not that noticeable, still feels like a 26er :thumbdown:

Upgrading from 26" to 29" is a significant jump, you immediately feel the difference, you actually feel that you are going to reach your destination much sooner :clap:

There's the rub...

Upgrading from 26" to 27.5 not such a significant jump, not that noticeable, still feels like a 26er :thumbdown:

Upgrading from 26" to 29" is a significant jump, you immediately feel the difference, you actually feel that you are going to reach your destination much sooner :clap:

If you change the gearing on your 26er it has the same effect

Exactly, different strokes for different folks. Yes I agree 100%, what matters is that you enjoy your wheelsize and screw the rest...as long is it's not 650b, unless you'r a chick of course :blush:

26" still ok, wasn't suckered into buying it as with 650b's.

Its a sad indictment on your life and personality that you are trying to ram your opinions of what you think is best down peoples throats....when everybody can pretty much make up their own mind what wheel size is suitable for them and what they enjoy...

Do you perhaps work for cycle lab and did you come up with those recommendations for wheel sizes? :whistling:

Its a sad indictment on your life and personality that you are trying to ram your opinions of what you think is best down peoples throats....when everybody can pretty much make up their own mind what wheel size is suitable for them and what they enjoy...

Do you perhaps work for cycle lab and did you come up with those recommendations for wheel sizes? :whistling:

Reminds me of this

Step 23: "..... Now choose your favourite wheelsize and be a $^#$ about it..."

I don't care if you don't agree, just gave you my worthless opinion ;) You just don't like me saying that it must be sucks riding a 650b if you are not a girl :whistling: Can't help it if some of you get your knickers in a knot.

BTW, don't work for any bicycle shop....

I have to say I kind of agree with you. But people want to know why. Saying stuff like 650b is crap gets people upset. I think PURELY based on wheelsize there's not enough of a difference between 26 and 650b to bin the 26 and buy a 650b. But bikes are way more than wheelsize. But that's just my opinion.

I've got an Intense Tracer and I rode a Rocky Altitude on the weekend. The things I liked on the Rocky over my Tracer were more to do with the length of the bike and the ability to lock out the rear than anything to do with wheelsize. I never noticed much difference ito wheelsize tbh. I did enjoy the bike. I liked the high speed stability and the way it climbed on the road. But when I got back on my Tracer I wasn't exactly bummed.

For me personally if I was looking to buy a new bike I'd look at a long travel 29er. (There I said it) I rode the S Works Enduro a few weeks ago. For me that's the best bike I've ever ridden. But Sadly My wife isn't orange and she doesn't drive a Range Rover and we don't live in Constantia so 110k for a bike ain't gonna happen.

Thanks dude, thats my coffee all over my keyboard. I am still laughing. :thumbup:

559 is still reigning Enduro Specific champion........ :ph34r:

Beats all these other sizes mentioned here....... :whistling:

I don't care if you don't agree, just gave you my worthless opinion ;) You just don't like me saying that it must be sucks riding a 650b if you are not a girl :whistling: Can't help it if some of you get your knickers in a knot.

Stop being such a Troll dude

If you change the gearing on your 26er it has the same effect

Nope, here I disagree quite strongly.

There is no two ways about it that on a stage of the Epic or J2C equivalent gearing, same rider will get to the end a bit quicker on his 29'er.

Personally I think you are trying to justify getting a 650b, else why are you so desperate and keep dropping the price on your 29er Niner :whistling: as well as trying to justify sooooo hard that a 650b is not for you.....

Sorry for you it does not work for you!

And as you say so yourself and most agree here, your opinion is worthless whatever you say and however you attack people for having a different and probably far more knowledgeable opinion...

As to most peoples opinions on your comments.... YAAAAAAWWWWNNNNN !!!