Trail Runners in Tokai...

SpyDude

Come to think of it, they should ban trailrunners going up as well, I find it highly embarrassing and offensive when they overtake me on the bike. ;) :blush:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Descending a steep trail be it on a bike or foot is always fun. Boulder hopping down a kloof even more so.

Can't see why Tokai MTB need a runner to attend the meeting with trail runners. They will bring the runners themselves. Should they also bring a mountain biker with them?

OK, long day done and I can breathe again, so here's my 2c:

1 I have had no issue with sharing the trails with runners. The Trail & Tar guys are always polite. I like that many people use the place because it keeps the muggers out.

2 The numbers of both runners and riders have increased hugely over the past few years. This make sharing bi-directional trails dangerous, be it with riders or runners. It should be dealt with as a safety issue, not a turf war.

3 We need more uni-directional single track in Tokai, especially UP single track.

4 I can see that sharing UP single track with runners could work well

5 I think that strictly DOWN single track should rather not be shared

6 This should be discussed in a grown up fashion between the running and cycling groups. The hot heads should be kept away from the round table

7 I am happy for the Tokai MTB committee to handle this on our behalf, that is exactly why we voted them in

I agree with all of this. and an extra cent.

Should we not take a page out of the proverbial book for preventing collisions at sea but simplified?

The manoeuvrability is key here. Going up should move as we do already. It is easier to stop and move than coming down at a speed where stopping distance is increased. A runnner has way more manoeuvrability than a bike and should give way.

Should we not take a page out of the proverbial book for preventing collisions at sea but simplified?

The manoeuvrability is key here. Going up should move as we do already. It is easier to stop and move than coming down at a speed where stopping distance is increased. A runnner has way more manoeuvrability than a bike and should give way.

There was more but it didn't post not sure why.

Maybe refer to the IMBA rules as well. Should be easy enough to find a way to create a co-operative set of trail rules for all trail users using that as a platform/guideline?

Do you also hit the jumps? The Road Gap could be interesting

i don't even hit the jumps on my bike...far too much of a wuss for airtime.

just to really throw things in the mix....check out these single track specific shoes...North Face Single track Hyasaa

http://ultra.irunfar.com/wp-content/uploads/The-North-Face-Singe-Track-Hayasa.jpg

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/men-39-s-single-track-hayasa-ii.html

Ah snap... the next thing, a runner is going to be injured and then there will be no riding...

Signs, they are needed seriously fast!!

DIPS, we need to collect some loot!

Ah snap... the next thing, a runner is going to be injured and then there will be no riding...

Signs, they are needed seriously fast!!

DIPS, we need to collect some loot!

Nonsense - more like no running if that happens.

But yes, signs are needed. TMNP is a stumbling block there as their signage requirements mean they are not very informative or easy to read...

Nonsense - more like no running if that happens.

But yes, signs are needed. TMNP is a stumbling block there as their signage requirements mean they are not very informative or easy to read...

Tiny and to low to the ground. If you don't know to look for them you'll miss them completely.

Guest Omega Man

threaten that if one of them get hit they want cycling banned

Pierre please stop making inflammatory (arousing or intended to arouse angry or violent feelings) remarks. No one is threatening anything.

The committee is meeting with the trail runners on Wednesday where some common ground is sure to emerge. All of the runner representatives seem very accommodating to me.

*Disclaimer: This post is my opinion and not necessarily that of TokaiMTB.

1.. why have a forum topic called rant and rave, if you do rant you just get kukked out by all the political correctness, you sang a different tune when you weren't part of the committee... that's when i lost ALL respect for you.

2.. why give people the option to express their views under a pseudo-name, lets rather do this in a facebook type environment, force the forum to drop all avatars and fake name and Omga man can instead trade insults as duane b... oh yes, forums are places where people can express their OPINIONS in a public space without fear of retaliation. I feel rocks as long i can get **** that's bothering me off my chest and people actually start to think about an issue.

3... am i not allowed to express my opinion? Is this not a democracy, or are you NOW god.

We both know we don't like one another, there is zero respect either way. I know you might not think so but i have Tokai's best intentions at heart. I might now be the best guy to express it online, but ya... i don't see you taking pot shots at anyone else up top there who agrees with me, so i guess its all personal. Ying and yang i guess hey.

Pierre, I think he is referring to your comment of "threaten that if one of them get hit they want cycling banned"

Did someone actually threaten this?

1. My view is that Duane was fairly diplomatic or at least tried to be
  2. a) Did Duane/Omega Man insult you there? b) Express your opinion, by all means. but if "threaten that if one of them get hit they want cycling banned" is either fact or not, there is no opinion there.
  3. Express your opinion, by all means. but if "threaten that if one of them get hit they want cycling banned" is either fact or not, there is no opinion there.

Thanks bru, i deleted the comment as it was reactionary to Duanes post, and re-reading it decided delete it and just let things be... it was up for like 10 seconds and you posted it right back. (wow... living on the hubb)

Whats your name?

I actually dont want any part of this forum, i have to deal with enough politics in the surfing world.

I have said what i need to say, i am over it. Good bye.

Edited by SpyDude

Thanks bru, i deleted the comment as it was reactionary to Duanes post, and re-reading it decided delete it and just let things be... it was up for like 10 seconds and you posted it right back. (wow... living on the hubb)

Whats your name?

I actually dont want any part of this forum, i have to deal with enough politics in the surfing world.

I have said what i need to say, i am over it. Good bye.

Happened to be up when I opened the page. If you delete it, it doesn't mean it disappears from my screen.

Just asking questions of your statements

Who's being insulting now bru? (wow... living on the hubb)

My name is Dave Petrie. I met you in Tokai with Nathan and sold Nathan his new frame.

There are politics in every sport, whenever something is formalised. Was speaking to someone the other day involved with the Dungeons Big Wave competition this year and reckons the politics is way worse.

You should look at your mates wrt why things were so tense before the committee selection.