Food for thought...trails should not be smoothed out - I agree

Headshot

And the top section of DH0. Which is beyond my skillset at the moment.

It is so far beyond my skill set, i just ride right passed it. Too afraid to even look in that direction.. :nuke:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its interesting that this came about as I was going to ask the exact same question a few days ago. In Karkloof there is a section called Sid Vicious and its basically 3km of rock...at the end of it you arms feel like they are disconnected from your body...its not very technical at all - just rough..I have done it a couple of times but the alternative route is much smoother and more flowing and more fun. My ideal trail is fast flowing with rock sections mixed in to test your ability to shift your gearing or pedalling according to the obstacle while still allowing you to test your skills by going as fast as you possibly can, hit some dropoffs and do all this without hitting a tree or losing the trail

Ya, its not a black and white thing at all. Vasbyt is now flowier than it was before and I love the extra speed you can carry on parts of it. On the other hand I know it so well that its not a technical challenge anymore, just fun. The DH line is another story - I always develop a nervous tension before I ride it because it pushes my skills and bravery a lot more. Tokai has a pretty good mix of everything especially if you take those not to be ridden horse/slippery trails into account. The off camber with tight corners and steepness is something that is lacking elsewhere on the mountain and even at Jonkers. Challenging and fun without requiring massive commitment or risk taking.

Do you think you would score well if it (Vasbyt) as used in an enduro? Would be very interesting to see the results of those who know the tracks like they do the way to the pub...

I think home ground advantage would help a bit, but the pro's are fast anywhere and its not a difficult trail. Some of the faster people from the North don't ride at Tokai much so Strava isn't a good gauge either. Would love to see a race at Tokai though...

I think the point is that not EVERY trail needs to be smoothed out. A variety of options is needed/wanted.

I enjoy the rough trails as well flowy foresty trails and fast smooth trails depending on what I feel like at the time.

As Go Lefty says, the terrain has to support what you are building.

With clever trailbuilding and lateral thinking, trails can be built to accommodate a varied skills set (i.e. A,B,C lines).

Trails need to be built in a manner that suits what the terrain can support. Pointless building steep unarmoured trails in a sandy dusty environment because it will erode so quickly it becomes unsustainable.

The skill level required to traverse the trail is then really up to the trail builders creativity since sustainable does not have to equal dumbed down and easy to ride

Did that DH0 bit this past weekend for the first time on my trail bike. I like! i see there is an even steeper trail coming from the top where DH0 begins. I just looked at it :ph34r: .....

but then i did DH0 all the way down, its actually hard work and technical. I do like the rocks, roots, off camber. and i do like how it changes to "flowy" when dropping into that piece after Vasbyt till the quarry.

Did that DH0 bit this past weekend for the first time on my trail bike. I like! i see there is an even steeper trail coming from the top where DH0 begins. I just looked at it :ph34r: .....

but then i did DH0 all the way down, its actually hard work and technical. I do like the rocks, roots, off camber. and i do like how it changes to "flowy" when dropping into that piece after Vasbyt till the quarry.

DH0, as in the DH0 that goes down on the right on your way to Cobra? That's DH0 - finishes at the Road Gap... DH1 is from the Road Gap down to the next road crossing (the really flowy DH section, in the same area as Boulders) and then over the next road crossing, DH2 starts - which is the REALLY rocky one. Then DH3 is the one that shares the beginning with Vasbyt (big berm) and then splits off to the right...

The top of DH0 is REALLY steep. Starts on the very top fire road on your way to Cobra...

DH0, as in the DH0 that goes down on the right on your way to Cobra? That's DH0 - finishes at the Road Gap...

The top of DH0 is REALLY steep. Starts on the very top fire road on your way to Cobra...

Yes that one, i climbed the jeep track from the road gap - one corner, second corner!! there is a sign board which indicates DH, actually eliminates the upper steep bit. (this is before the fire road to cobra.)

DH2 starts - which is the REALLY rocky one.

REALLY rocky one...? Which "REALLY rocky", where?? :whistling:

Haha! Jokes.. ^_^

Yes that one, i climbed the jeep track from the road gap - one corner, second corner!! there is a sign board which indicates DH, actually eliminates the upper steep bit. (this is before the fire road to cobra.)

REALLY rocky one...? Which "REALLY rocky", where?? :whistling:

Haha! Jokes.. ^_^

LOL. Yeah. I know it starts up top there, and I know there's an entry halfway down. I decided to test out the top section cos, well "how hard could it be?"

Turns out - harder than me.

this question will never be answered, its purely an opinion piece, ive built trails and just decided that im going to build what i like to ride and %^#$%&%$^#@$%^ everyone else, because you can never ever ever please everybody and ive had people says it sucks because - the corners are too tight, the skinny is too technical, its too steep, blabalbalbal

and im not going to spend my time building stuff that doesnt challenge people and put smiles on my face :D

this question will never be answered, its purely an opinion piece, ive built trails and just decided that im going to build what i like to ride and %^#$%&%$^#@$%^ everyone else, because you can never ever ever please everybody and ive had people says it sucks because - the corners are too tight, the skinny is too technical, its too steep, blabalbalbal

and im not going to spend my time building stuff that doesnt challenge people and put smiles on my face :D

:thumbup:

From my own personal point of view, I much prefer riding the Downhill trails. Much more technical with drops and stuff than engage the brain and the muscles in order to ride. I don't carry much speed so any flowy track gets boring quite quickly.

Having said that though, it is just my opinion ... and being on 1 wheel I am in the minority :)

The trail builders have offered to include some Uni specific stuff on the trails, we (the uni community) need to find the time to sit down with the guys to see what we can come up with. The offer has been extended to us, but in true Unicyclist form we've been quite slack in following things up :whistling:

LOL. Yeah. I know it starts up top there, and I know there's an entry halfway down. I decided to test out the top section cos, well "how hard could it be?"

Turns out - harder than me.

i became a bit confused when i saw:

the rock drop, which had big off-camber roots on the left of the drop. 0.5m in front of the rock drop was a sharp smaller rock dead centre in the trail. and to the right of this smaller sharp rock was a boulder :nuke: .

My head said to me " The best line is to hit the drop at speed and land inbetween the smaller sharp rock and boulder..." HAHAHA

i just rolled it, maybe next time

There's no better feeling in the world than pumping your way down a well manicured trail with no rocks that just flows bend after bend, burm after burm and drop after drop...

I vote manicured trails any day of the week....

There's no better feeling in the world than pumping your way down a well manicured trail with no rocks that just flows bend after bend, burm after burm and drop after drop...

I vote manicured trails any day of the week....

Until it gets boring.

Dig smooth trail but also like a bit of rough. Imho I think you actually need both to have well developed, all round skills. Think Fairy Garden or My Roots or even my personal fave Vasbyt as examples. A nice mix of both.