Locally Manufactured Narrow Wide Chainrings for 1x10

kay9components

Good day MTB enthusiasts

I have noticed an increase in interest among MTBers wanting to go the 1x9/10 route.

Myself and a mate have taken the iniative to do some research into manufacturing our own Narrow Wide chain rings locally to try bring the price down and make a little money in the process.

Initially, we will only manufacture 104BCD 32T chain rings. These seem to be the most popular. They will be annodized to increase the hardness.

The chain rings will be cut out of 7075-T6 Al which is the same aircraft grade alu used for SRAM xx1 chainrings.

If all goes well we will start to introduce more variations to the market.

(30T, 34T, 36T and so on...). Hopefully some SRAM versions later on as well.

If sufficient interest is shown, we will go ahead with an initial order.

We are trying our best to get the chain rings onto the market at under R500.

Please leave a comment on this thread if you have any questions or send me a PM if you are interested.

post-60310-0-58730600-1401971663_thumb.jpg

The latest rave now is all 1 x 11 , no longer 1 x 10 or 1 x 9, will this still work for a 1 x 11? (Excuse the stupid question as i don't have any knowledge on the topic, nor am i interested in going this route. I am just trying to learn here)

'cut'...lazer cut?

Interested in how serious your tooling/technique is, or if this is a enthusiastic hobbyist type process.

best of luck

The latest rave now is all 1 x 11 , no longer 1 x 10 or 1 x 9, will this still work for a 1 x 11? (Excuse the stupid question as i don't have any knowledge on the topic, nor am i interested in going this route. I am just trying to learn here)

The NW front chainring provided is not too thick for the respective chain will work for any of the options you described.

You may also want to consider a 40, 41 and 42 cassette cog as currently most are importing these to give them the bailout gear at the back to go with the NW chainring.

'cut'...lazer cut?

Interested in how serious your tooling/technique is, or if this is a enthusiastic hobbyist type process.

best of luck

The parts will be CNC milled

You may also want to consider a 40, 41 and 42 cassette cog as currently most are importing these to give them the bailout gear at the back to go with the NW chainring.

+1

We are looking into this as well..

I have done extensive research into getting the 40T One up chainrings made locally.

You would have to have the discs laser cut and then a dedicated jig made up and then the "ramps" CNCed. The front NW chainrings are simpler but would still need CNCing.When I got costing I could get a very competitive price, about R500 selling price per 40T, but would need to manufacture 100 units at least to be viable never mind making a massive profit. Abondoned the idea after that, wasn't looking to make money just basically help guys out and get mine free in the deal.

The Rapide NW are a great deal, wouldn't be able to make it much cheaper locally I reckon unless in massive quantities and then run the run of sitting with the stock!!

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

This is a great idea. I would also suggest looking at a better quality 16t cog if you're looking at the 40/41/42 cassette cog too. On pricing, I picked up my RaceFace NW 34t for R540 at Tool-up Cycles.

This is a great idea. I would also suggest looking at a better quality 16t cog if you're looking at the 40/41/42 cassette cog too. On pricing, I picked up my RaceFace NW 34t for R540 at Tool-up Cycles.

My plan was to use an original One up and duplicate it just changing the inner design to avoid copying it exactly. Would've done the 16T too. Had to factor in the cost of buying the "sample" and then not be tempting to just use it though.

If anybody gets it right there would have to be some sort of warranty, if the shifting doesn't work you will have a lot of unhappy people.

That being said, I would be keen.