[Event] Freedom Challenge 2014

tubed

Event Name: Freedom Challenge 2014
When: 9 June 2014 - 30 June 2014
Where: Pietermaritzburg to Paarl, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The Freedom Challenge 2014 incorporates the 2300km Race Across South Africa (RASA) and the Race to Rhodes (RTR).

Hopefully this thread like last year will provide those interested in the race with some insight into this unique event which showcases what it is like to race your mtb across our magnificent country.

In our hearts we are all proud South African's, proud of our country and proud of our people - this event enables ordinary riders to traverse the country, to experience its terrain, the winter elements and most of all the people who will enrich their lives. From random acts of kindness when one is failing, to lifelong bonds forged with fellow 'competitors', the Freedom Challenge is not staged, it unfolds each day as the riders literally battle their way to Paarl.

The hub has proven to be the best place to reach the largest number of people enthusiastic about the event, please do contribute whatever you can. The ethos of the Freedom Challenge is that it is owned by the community it touches, please think and take care in posting as the idea is to uplift and promote mtb to a broad section of the community, including the farmers, rural communities and hosts who proudly embrace the riders.

Lastly, to the riders, some of whom were inspired and took up the challenge while reading this last year, all the very best!, see you in Paarl.

Go to Event Page

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[Race to Rhodes this year (first 6 days of FC) at a touring pace.] Me too, and feeling very privileged to have this opportunity. Nerves & Excitement mount as my adventure start day looms closer.. a week to go!

Race to Rhodes this year (first 6 days of FC) at a touring pace. Blogging the journey here makingtrackz.wordpress.com for some insights.

Trackz! Your dedication on makingtrackz.wordpress.com :

"Adventure is selfish full stop. It takes a very special family to allow one the freedom to pursue our dreams. I have such a family".

You hit home man! - It made me realize again just how much I have so much to be grateful for!

To all the Freedom participants, good riding, pushing, portaging, and have a blast. It's all about the journey!

I've been sucked into a little adventure race until last week, so FC has just sommer arrived this year.

The quick read through who's going to be contending this year, means one needs to look at the final batch of race snakes. Group J - tuesday 17 june.

Tweet - just finished EA, his 3rd? FC and he did the last one on a chilled schedule with lots of sleep but still smashed it in something like 14 days.

Smelly smit - his fellow team merrell AR sidekick - toughest lumberjack this side of the amazon - shoe in for first novice. these two will be racing together, will that be faster?

Team Fisher - stof and jigs are back after last year's honeymoon ride.also just did EA, where they over took team merrell on the final leg when tweet was shattered from Mbotyi belly. any thoughts that this is not a race are extinguished...no matter what is said to the contrary..it's a frikken RACE!

Glenn harrison -

the softly spoken hard riding singlespeed meneer is taking this thing seriously, again. can he finally win it?

Tim James - two time winner, one time runner up et al. the bones are older but i'm pretty sure the desire is still there.

This could be the first time since batching started in 2008 that the winner does not come from the final group...but that's another story with plenty of great riders lining up in earlier groups.