WIGGINS DROPPED FROM SKY FOR TDF 2014

Waynehans

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Froome has been very carefull NOT to be aligned with SAF too much. His team's support base is UK. It worked well - I feel less and less as if he represents me. Having your girlfriend fight your fights in public is certainly not my or my mates' style.

Well the thing is Chris is obliged to act like a Brit, even though he has hardly if ever lived there, he referred to "starting from home" this week during the recon of the 1st stage, which was a bit of a laugh. But that's sport, opportunism abounds. Ask Zola Budd.

The Wig has a bit of a precocious temperamental persona, but he is the 1st to admit it. So what, look at Cav and his public tantrums, everyone seems very forgiving and forgetting of that, innit.

And the what Team GB crumbled last year at the worlds, it was all about Chris there, but he totally folded without support. I don't think he turned in one podium result post the tour last year. Maybe the issue of his split of the loot could have and should have been settled in private, perhaps one 2 many hot heads / loose cannons at play there?

I think Team Sky is a mess now in many ways: broken team spirit, perhaps too much money going around there. The Wig should split ASAP. This year he has been riding well, and has a great team player, doing massive pulls. Got rid of that silly mod hairstyle. Chris is on a high & mighty PR roll, even more almighty expectations, whether he delivers or not remains to be seen,

Robert Millar has he say

"Chris Froome might be a better bike rider than Bradley Wiggins, he might be more considered in his interviews, never saying the wrong thing or swearing, but in terms of character it's the politician versus the rock star. PR spiel or an actual opinion, now there's an easy choice."

Well the thing is Chris is obliged to act like a Brit, even though he has hardly if ever lived there, he referred to "starting from home" this week during the recon of the 1st stage, which was a bit of a laugh. But that's sport, opportunism abounds. Ask Zola Budd.

The Wig has a bit of a precocious temperamental persona, but he is the 1st to admit it. So what, look at Cav and his public tantrums, everyone seems very forgiving and forgetting of that, innit.

And the what Team GB crumbled last year at the worlds, it was all about Chris there, but he totally folded without support. I don't think he turned in one podium result post the tour last year. Maybe the issue of his split of the loot could have and should have been settled in private, perhaps one 2 many hot heads / loose cannons at play there?

I think Team Sky is a mess now in many ways: broken team spirit, perhaps too much money going around there. The Wig should split ASAP. This year he has been riding well, and has a great team player, doing massive pulls. Got rid of that silly mod hairstyle. Chris is on a high & mighty PR roll, even more almighty expectations, whether he delivers or not remains to be seen,

Well said

Can't verify, but apparently Wiggo's comments were broadcasted on BBC first. Interesting twist since it's Sky's major competitor commercially.

In my opinion, that team has never been a happy team. All work and no play. So you would kind of expect a type of rebel like Wiggo to push the boundaries through the years with his behaviour and comments.

Robert Millar has he say

"Chris Froome might be a better bike rider than Bradley Wiggins, he might be more considered in his interviews, never saying the wrong thing or swearing, but in terms of character it's the politician versus the rock star. PR spiel or an actual opinion, now there's an easy choice."

Hmm, very valid piece of writing by Millar in my opinion. I said earlier, Wiggins was the name and persona that made SKY, he was the reason the money at SKY were prepared to back a British racing team and Millar just re affirms that stance.

I especially like this paragraph.

Things are pretty desperate when a national hero like Bradley Wiggins, first British winner of the Tour, one of the most successful Olympians, BBC Sportsman of the Year, honoured by the Queen, feted and admired throughout the land isn't at the start of a Tour de France in his own country.

It's pretty low to take that opportunity from him. The team can try to hide behind excuses and so-called reasoning but it shows a total lack of respect for what he has given to Team Sky.

It is a big call not to take Wiggins. It may come back to haunt Sky, one incident with Froome on he cobbles and their GC plans could go up in a cloud of dust. Crazy imo to pay such a strong rider, but not being able to use him.

I am not a fan of Wiggins, the threats of withdrawing from the tdf, walking away from Garmin etc does make him look like a prima donna. Imo Sky had some trick up their sleeve (Argon gas or something) that the other teams did not know about, without which Wiggins would not have won. Porte, Froome will also be on more even footing now that Conto, Nibali etc are on level terms again.

Conto: Doping cheat stripped of multiple Grand tours. Without his Bruneel blood bags, he looked more like an ordinary climber. If he is super strong all of a sudden, I would not hesitate to question his integrity.

Froome: He could have handled the Wiggens situation better, imo. With LeMond vs Hinault, Conto vs Lance, the stronger man sucked it up, and won in the end. Froome is being a bit of a brat.

Wigins: He is simply not that strong, in ToC he won agains mostly American local. He even got dropped on one mountain.

Come now Christie, he has been streets ahead of his competition this year, he has been flying, in contrast to Froome who has yet to clock a win. ;)

I have always been a 'Berto fan but we need to remember there are multiple reasons why an athlete may appear to be a little worse than what we remember of them at their peak, and its not always drugs, just like us, they age, lose interest, or the years of injuries and damage to the body can no longer be patched over with some spit, Deep heat and a lot of hope,.... like any mortal they also reach a point they simply cant compete at that level anymore.

I think 'Berto has one more tour win in him and this year is it, then I think its pretty much over, he is 5 years older now and its unlikely he can continue as a potential tour winner much longer.

We need to be realistic as well, playing the "Oh look it was the dope that did it, now he is just average" card isnt fair mate,.... I know you understand the situation well, probably better than most, but I think we do need to be fair in what we assume, because often there are other factors too.

All that said and back to Wiggins, I think he should be at the tour.! :D

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

In a perfect dream World, its rider signings happening in a month and a half and a team pays up Wiggins contract, signs him up now and includes him in a new team to ride this years Tour and we have a race on our hands...In a perfect dream World

Imagine that.

Whoohoooo

Roid rage catching up with team sky... Too many princesses in the team.

Ha, Ha, Yeah, maybe, did you read the opinions below that copy, this one is....well Priceless!!.

http://cdn.gigya.com/gs/i/comments/avatar_32x32.gifnother well written article by Robert - got it nailed !!! If Sir Brad does not ride ?? Team Sky will need to employ the SAS to protect Mr Froome from the British fans and he is going to get really abused when it gets near Spain after his PR/girlfriends comments about Contador on her twitter account.

orbeas2 hours ago

another well written article by Robert - got it nailed !!! If Sir Brad does not ride ?? Team Sky will need to employ the SAS to protect Mr Froome from the British fans and he is going to get really abused when it gets near Spain after his PR/girlfriends comments about Contador on her twitter account.

another well written article by Robert..Got it nailed!! If Sir Brad does not ride??, team Sky will need to employ the SAS to protect Mr Froome from the British fans and he is going to get really abused when it gets near Spain after his PR/Girlfriends comments about Contador on her twitter account.

Nice discussion

Sky Pro Cycling management has failed to resolve a key conflict in their ranks and one that's been simmering for years now - so much for professionalism.

Here's not a marginal, but MASSIVE gain, they could've attained!

Imagine the strength and depth of the TdF if both riders were aligned, clearly briefed in their roles and set out to serve the team's objectives, and not their own power plays.

I reckon other teams will feel relieved.

Imagine which Sky team they'd rather face.

After reading Millar's piece, I must admit to changing my opinion on Wiggo ever so slightly.

Froome is the better Tour rider - no doubt there - and Wiggins has the huge motor.

The strength of leadership should be there to corral these galloping egos and forge them into a fighting unit.

Although it may seem unlikely now, we should not be surprised to see Wiggins at the start in July.

It would make for an intriguing edition of the race!

I dont think we must completely forget that Brad started most of this by being a pain in the arse. He must have thought he was untouchable. Even if he does make it back in by some miracle, the terms will have changed a lot.