exxxxxxxxxxtra wiiiiiiiide bars

sadamhussein

+100 on wider bars. I have just gone from 730mm to 785mm with a slightly bigger rise. Noticeable increase in leverage. Same 50mm stem. Top tube length also plays a role. If you are already stretched out on a long TT with a short stem, don't go super wide. I am tall and have a bike with a shortish TT by today's standards so wider makes perfect sense. I find wider bars an absolute bonus in the tight tricky stuff up and down hill. So much more leverage and easier to balance too. Ever tried riding you bike with your hands on either side of the stem??

Edited by Headshot

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya Greg Minnaar must be a real novice you know with his 808mm bars, maybe you can give him some lessons!

before you guys cry yourselves to sleep because your beloved hero's happen to be following the wide bar fad that has now been brought into question, just remember that greg and co have been winning races LONG before the wide-bar-fad.

and just because a extra wide bar works for a dowhhill bike which has geometry that's super different to 99% of bikes being sold out there, doesn't mean it's a good idea to put it on a 29 inch xc bike that will never attain the same speeds and require that amount of control.

it's a fad. mark my words.

before you guys cry yourselves to sleep because your beloved hero's happen to be following the wide bar fad that has now been brought into question, just remember that greg and co have been winning races LONG before the wide-bar-fad.

and just because a extra wide bar works for a dowhhill bike which has geometry that's super different to 99% of bikes being sold out there, doesn't mean it's a good idea to put it on a 29 inch xc bike that will never attain the same speeds and require that amount of control.

http://www.lollymerchant.com/files/3770802/uploaded/fads-fun-sticks-single__56969_zoom.jpg

VS

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/d3/32/14/d33214954035657e01546b9dd98a03ee.jpg

:ph34r: :whistling:

They also raced DH with saddles at full XC height. The sport evolves...

It is of course possible to go too wide on the bars. As you go wider you gain a lot of leverage on the bars up to a point, then you start losing leverage and your position is pulled too far forward.

But that sweet spot for your shoulder width coupled with a short stem is heaven. It gets you pressing on the front of the bike for front traction without having your body all the way forward. It means you can get back over the (dropped?) saddle quickly and further. And this fore and aft movement with a shorter cockpit has a much more dramatic effect on managing the bikes front to rear balance - for weighting or unweighting either end.

Check what nathrix did, he rode a 650b and it was.......

I'll send you some wide bars, tried it out. Then you won't have to believe your own kuk you talking!

I predict this will be the next fad..... :ph34r:

http://cdn.instructables.com/FG2/T7MU/GLC2849Q/FG2T7MUGLC2849Q.MEDIUM.jpg

I fitted flats bars to my road bike last year as an experiment as I never rode in the drops.

Unfortunately the roads where I live are narrow and home to 30ton coal carriers and white mine bakkies so the bike never gets to show its stuff.

I predict this will be the next fad..... :ph34r:

http://cdn.instructables.com/FG2/T7MU/GLC2849Q/FG2T7MUGLC2849Q.MEDIUM.jpg

Can you make me some.... Pleaase

Can you make me some.... Pleaase

How wide? remember you don't wanna conform to the current fad so I suggest as narrow as possible ne :whistling:

who remembers this fad? :wacko: stupidest idea ever

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_xXnIGRxDyQ0/S9t1c06yp4I/AAAAAAAACHY/Axp4NTPGPpI/s1600/DSCN1905_edited-1.jpg

exactly. ...That ghetto ss conversion is fugly.

Assuming that is a 'Merican's bike based on the street signs perforated steel post

exactly. ...That ghetto ss conversion is fugly.

Assuming that is a 'Merican's bike based on the street signs perforated steel post

And the flipped bars :eek: just gross -_-