MTB Race Entry Fees....

Guest silver de lange

1 hour ago, Meezo said:

Its not really technical its just brutal on the body, no free miles... and if you not switched on small mistakes and lapse in concentration can happen!

Don't want to derail this thread and begin a debate on what is technical and what isn't, but I disagree with your take... and I'm in the camp of the more technical the better!

Anything becomes technical if you go fast enough, but there are sections (albeit not too long) at Eselfontein that are fairly technical for the average mountain biker. For example think about that section on day 3 around about the 20km mark before you start descending, it's quite rocky and tricky regardless of speed and is a little bit like trials riding. Of course you can get off and walk it, but staying on the bike is a technical challenge. 

Edited by wolver

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, wolver said:

Don't want to derail this thread and begin a debate on what is technical and what isn't, but I disagree with your take... and I'm in the camp of the more technical the better!

Anything becomes technical if you go fast enough, but there are sections (albeit not too long) at Eselfontein that are fairly technical for the average mountain biker. For example think about that section on day 3 around about the 20km mark before you start descending, it's quite rocky and tricky regardless of speed and is a little bit like trials riding. Of course you can get off and walk it, but staying on the bike is a technical challenge. 

So you saying I'm going too slow 😥

I agree though... so hence my "not really" . I do think i take the average mountain biker for granted

Think i might have been chasing yur tail for most of day 3... You finished about 100m ahead of

7 minutes ago, Meezo said:

I agree though... so hence my "not really" . I do think i take the average mountain biker for granted

Think i might have been chasing yur tail for most of day 3... You finished about 100m ahead of

Hahaha... if you want to interpret it that way, yes! Oh wait, you beat me so you can't😂

Case of mistaken identity, not me that you finished behind🕵️‍♂️

6 hours ago, wolver said:

6 hours ago, Meezo said:

Well, to be fair the really technical stuff at Eselfontein isn't part of the three day event. But the three day is the right amount of technical in my opinion. And (once again in my opinion) it's the best three day race in the WC. Best stage race actually. 

On 10/17/2022 at 11:24 AM, Headshot said:

So, I heard this weekend that the U 2022 never happened and that only a few people entered. At R9500 pp for 2.5 days it was as elitist as they come, but I still find it surprising because I think there are still enough punters out there with deep pockets.

I think the real reason it was under subscribed is because the trails are too proper and require bike handling skills that other events like the W2W simply do not require. Thoughts?

I suppose there are many factors. I never really thought to do Joberg2C, but now that it’s done and replaced with go2berg I am actually considering it. So basically joberg2c without Sani2C. ?From what I gather Joberg2C never really got traction, so I am at least not the only one who never really considered it. 6 days opposed to 9 days makes way more sense in my diary and I’ve done 3 Sani2C’s, so not really fussed about doing that again. 

I don’t think pricing was the main driver for the limited uptake in joberg2c as it seemingly offered very good value for money. It was also not overly technical or tough by all accounts, and had amazing trails on the route. Maybe it was as simple as 9 days are too many days for mass uptake in a mtb race that is not the Epic (8 days if you count the prologue).