MTB Race Entry Fees....

Guest silver de lange

26 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I have a colleague who rode the U in 2019. She loved it but acknowledged, its really really hard for a newbie or anyone who does not have a good pedigree in technical riding. Many riders walk half the course.

I heard that one of the organisers mentioned that one problem they had is that most of their entries were one-off, people ride it once then don't return. Seems successful events need a core group of riders that return to do the race (most) years.

Might be worth trying to go the Eselfontein route? Make it cheaper and more accessible to families rather than the 5-star luxury weekend?

Edited by Skubarra

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

They needed to appeal to normal people, not the rich perhaps? That would have been a new market. I'm waiting for the next trail open day.

remember, stage racing was built on the back of the middle class.

Cape Epic team entry cost R8000 in 2005. A decent bike was a little more expensive.

the event built a huge following in 5 years and middle class people could still afford it. By 2008 a team entry  was R14000 and you got a lot for your money. Then it exploded and wanted to cater for the senior to Upper management types, CEO's and business owners these were all product positioning decisions and not value driven. this increase in 2009 was despite the property bubble in the USA adn Europe going booom💥!

Now the USA in heading into recession, interest rates are climbing, Pinkbike is getting excited about aluminum bikes and Europeans are stock piling wood and coal for the winter. Bicycles are a luxury and bicycle races even more so. Entries are down globally

28 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I heard that one of the organisers mentioned that one problem they had is that most of their entries were one-off, people ride it once then don't return. Seems successful events need a core group of riders that return to do the race (most) years.

Might be worth trying to go the Eselfontein route? Make it cheaper and more accessible to families rather than the 5-star luxury weekend?

Many years ago my good friend who pioneered the Amageza Rallye was facing the same problem: make the event difficult enough so guys will know what to expect in the Dakar, but risk lack of participation and end up not covering your overheads (recconnaisance, road books, food, petrol, medical backup, etc etc) OR make it too easy and okes pitch up at the Dakar start line thinking its going to be a piece of cake. Ultimately he decided that as long as the race sustains itself financially, he would keep pushing.

Sadly, Amageza is no longer as Camelman had a fatal gyro-copter accident, but that's a whole other story.

Edited by gemmerbal

31 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Not sure about the low BB height issue. Trail bikes have notoriously low BB's especially the modern ones - 345-350mm) Could not find any Xc bike specs with a quick search. The trails really aren't very technical but do make use of the terrain and require technical climbing skills. The descents can be as fast or slow as you like. That said, its all tiring and if its hot...

XC bikes are around 330 static, lower once you're on it. but yes its a matter of speed.

and it gets hots but its the climbing that kills the enjoyment for many. You really need good balance to climb slowly and get wheel up and over obstacles. The dom kragging doesn't work so well on those courses.

I've ridden those trails pretty quickly on a rigid SS.... BB height won't make much of a difference if you have some skills.

It's not gnar and it isn't 'difficult'. It's just relentless. 

I love riding out there

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Don't understand why this event isn't more popular/sold out, it's great value relative to any other stage race and an all-round great weekend. I'm starting to think that the trails being a bit technical could be the reason... but that doesn't make sense🤔

3 minutes ago, wolver said:

Don't understand why this event isn't more popular/sold out, it's great value relative to any other stage race and an all-round great weekend. I'm starting to think that the trails being a bit technical could be the reason... but that doesn't make sense🤔

Did it for the 1st time this weekend, sitting in pain at my office desk today because of a wipe-out on a technical downhill - so yes, maybe too technical 😂

I agree that Eselfontein has a great setup. I think with they way the organisers approach the event they are more sustainable in the long run than the events going for the "5 star luxury" market. Will definitely go back in future.

13 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Did it for the 1st time this weekend, sitting in pain at my office desk today because of a wipe-out on a technical downhill - so yes, maybe too technical 😂

I agree that Eselfontein has a great setup. I think with they way the organisers approach the event they are more sustainable in the long run than the events going for the "5 star luxury" market. Will definitely go back in future.

Well you made it to your desk this morning, so I'd argue that it's the perfect amount of technical.... if you were lying in a hospital bed, then maybe you'd have a case😂

I think the setup is perfect... free camping (gives you the choice of a good nights sleep in offsite accommodation, my preference), well priced food options in the race village allowing you to eat what/when you like (yes I had the ribs on all three days🤤) rather than the trough feeding times at other races. An all round good vibe.

P.S. The droewors at the water table alone makes this race worth doing🙃 

Edited by wolver

Yeah, Eselfontein is perfect and good value. Should have done it this year. Crashing is part of the game and an opportunity to learn from your mistakes and upskill yourself.

I rode some of Paul Cluver this weekend on a small private event - always touted as some of the best tracks on W2W. They were busy fixing the trails which are in a bit of a state due to lack of maintenance. That said despite this they were so smooth my 26er HT loved them and so very very boring to ride. Not one rock garden, no fun features and some bridges...

Built to cater for the marathon racing industry and that's about it. Ugh.

18 hours ago, Skubarra said:

the Eselfontein event has been around for more than 20yrs and it has evolved a lot. key to sustainability....."evolve".

So in my very humble opinion you guys are answering your own questions there.... Eselfontein is a great setup FOR SOME. As mentioned, it isn't sold out, isn't full. It suits YOUR demographic and interests.

One of the reasons it can keep going despite this is the low cost involved for all parties, you and the organiser. It needs less to turn over every year.

Personal preference, interest and where you feel best has many, many tiers. 

Events that offer more, need more to keep the wheels turning. Recognising when to shift focus is key. Is TheU as an event worth hosting in that vein? Do the farm owners/managers/workers want that as well as the 1 day events, trail running events an open days they also put on?

Isn't the Picket-bo-berg open weekend 'pretty similar' to Esels already?

I dunno, keeping something going for the sake of keeping it going might not be worth the effort 

19 hours ago, Skubarra said:

19 hours ago, wolver said:

Well you made it to your desk this morning, so I'd argue that it's the perfect amount of technical.... if you were lying in a hospital bed, then maybe you'd have a case😂

I think the setup is perfect... free camping (gives you the choice of a good nights sleep in offsite accommodation, my preference), well priced food options in the race village allowing you to eat what/when you like (yes I had the ribs on all three days🤤) rather than the trough feeding times at other races. An all round good vibe.

P.S. The droewors at the water table alone makes this race worth doing🙃 

haha nice to see other hubber seeing the same, i rode Eselfontein 2016,2017,2017 and again this year... loved it as much i did the 1st time i rode it...

this year i opted to spend the weekend in Ceres with my family, mainly because i my "X" riding buddies didn't pitch up to enter... so i rode alone...

Its not really technical its just brutal on the body, no free miles... and if you not switched on small mistakes and lapse in concentration can happen!

10 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

So in my very humble opinion you guys are answering your own questions there.... Eselfontein is a great setup FOR SOME. As mentioned, it isn't sold out, isn't full. It suits YOUR demographic and interests.

One of the reasons it can keep going despite this is the low cost involved for all parties, you and the organiser. It needs less to turn over every year.

Events that offer more, need more to keep the wheels turning. Recognising when to shift focus is key. Is TheU as an event worth hosting in that vein? Do the farm owners/managers/workers want that as well as the 1 day events, trail running events an open days they also put on?

I dunno, keeping something going for the sake of keeping it going might not be worth the effort 

i speak under correction, the organizers and the owners of the farm don't make a cent... all the monies made from entries go into the community(schools in the area etc)...

in 2016 which was the 1st even it was 1500 per team so R750p/p, same in 2017

2018 it R1000p/p and last year and this year it was R1500

so they've definitely got something working to keep it going. for me even though it was just 3 days ago i'm looking forward to next years one

52 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Esels isn't really the same. You pitch for all three days, you camp, there is a village with stalls selling meat to braai, booze and food plus a kids play area and chilled vibe but still a race and an event.

Piket open day didn't seem the same at all - just a ticket to ride  route(s) on the day you'd booked, no timing, race or prize money. Not an event as such IOW but still great.

Another option at Piket is to stay at one of the farms for the weekend. if you select wisely you will have access to some of the lekker trails on that farm.

59 minutes ago, Meezo said:

haha nice to see other hubber seeing the same, i rode Eselfontein 2016,2017,2017 and again this year... loved it as much i did the 1st time i rode it...

this year i opted to spend the weekend in Ceres with my family, mainly because i my "X" riding buddies didn't pitch up to enter... so i rode alone...

Its not really technical its just brutal on the body, no free miles... and if you not switched on small mistakes and lapse in concentration can happen!

promise next year I'll join again 🙃