Permit for table mountain?

rock

You need an activity card for Table Mountain...

Day permits are only sold in tokai but are valid for tokai and Table Mountain.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DD TMNP does not own a single square cm in the whole of the Cape Peninsula nor does SanPark

They are there to manage the area for us and not doing a good job at all.

I have lived here many decades and the Table Mountain range has never been in such a poor condition as now.

The problem is who to complain to - seriously.

Who to hold responsible.

There are serious issues regarding erosion - allien plant invasion - poaching - poor state of infrastructure - CRIME.

(rant off)

i went for a trail run (more walk than run) on sunday morning - gave the mtb a rest because of the wet weather we are having.

i entered the signal hill trail at Top Road in Fresnaye, went around lions head (above the Clifton houses) to that intersection of Campsbay road and the cable car road.

Now its clearly indicated on the green park boards that there is no MTB'ing allowed and a R500 fine will be issued if caught and so on.

3 mountain bikers came past me on that section of my run. The first one coming past, i said something like "you know you're not allowed to mtb here ... " and i could not even finish my sentence, as he flew past me, and told me off - couldn't hear what he said, but i assumed he told me to f-off.

the next couple of guys that came pass, i didn't mention anything to.

I don't understand these riders attitude. They know they may not be there, but hey - the rules just don't apply to them. There are so many Mtb trails in the area that we are allowed to use, why not stick to those trails?

Suppose one or two rogue riders isnt the biggest problem to have - but i have a massive problem with these individuals' attitudes - it was almost like "how dare i tell them they are not allowed to cycle here".

you're spoiling it for the rest of us

Edited by boristheblade

About a dozen of us were on Tafelberg Rd yesterday at 3 to scatter Alison's ashes.

(It's worth finding out more about Alison, my cousin's daughter.)

We were a little way past the barrier barring access to the end of the road, near the little rock pool.Each of us lit a candle, and after a brief tribute, we released purple (her favourite colour) balloons. At that point, two TMNP officials wandered over to ask (very politely) what we were doing. Shortly after that, a TMNP double cab arrived with a few more officials inside. One of the officials told my 70something aunt she should put out her candle, which unlike ours was stubbornly refusing to die.

They were the first parks officials I'd seen since we arrived at the spot about half an hour earlier. I suppose it was just coincidence.

Edit: Alison's mother was pregnant with her, but didn't know it at the time, when they visited us in Cape Town in 1995, so she has a local connection besides just having SA grandparents who emigrated to Canada in the 1960s. Table Mountain seemed like a good place for a homecoming.

Edited by pbp2007

This will annoy most of the people posting here........ but here goes anyway! TMNP own all of the land, which they are kind enough to allow us to use! You are happy to pay ridiculous prices to park at Cavendish Square to go watch an expensive movie but moan when you have to pay to go and ride in what is most probably the best "nature reserve" in the world! What do you pay to ride at any commercial mountain bike trail park these days? Is the experience at any of the trails in TMNP comparable to any commercial mountain bike trail park? Some thoughts to ponder! Just thought I would throw the cat amongst the pigeons!

More like throwing your name to the wolfs ... rather gather some facts before making such bold claims

DD TMNP does not own a single square cm in the whole of the Cape Peninsula nor does SanPark

They are there to manage the area for us and not doing a good job at all.

I have lived here many decades and the Table Mountain range has never been in such a poor condition as now.

The problem is who to complain to - seriously.

Who to hold responsible.

There are serious issues regarding erosion - allien plant invasion - poaching - poor state of infrastructure - CRIME.

(rant off)

Although I agree that TMNP are a bit of a nightmare when it comes to the activity permit nonsense and the access that mountain users have for the various activities. I disagree about them doing an otherwise bad job. There is constant path maintenance, money spent on developing infrastructure, policing of hot spots and a very effective ranger service for hikers who get lost. The state of most paths is excellent, the route markings are good (a lot better than the old metal signs). Some may disagree, but it is important to give credit when it is due.

Been using these mountains for the past 45 years - not anywhere the same in all the aspects I mentioned.

Crime is my biggest bugbear - the worst is that the half of it is not recorded. And petty issues are picked on.

Bollocks!

+1

And also for example of them "policing" the mountain:

3 mtb'ers stopped by a Sanparks bakkie with FOUR officials in the bakkie. Looking for permits. In what world is that effective policing? Use your one guy in the bakkie to make sure we got our permits, sure. But four???? The other three could be on bikes or on foot doing some real policing trying to stop the bike-jackings and muggings....

what is the rule re night riding? after work say 17.30 to 19.30.

I do have an activity card.

+1

And also for example of them "policing" the mountain:

3 mtb'ers stopped by a Sanparks bakkie with FOUR officials in the bakkie. Looking for permits. In what world is that effective policing? Use your one guy in the bakkie to make sure we got our permits, sure. But four???? The other three could be on bikes or on foot doing some real policing trying to stop the bike-jackings and muggings....

I wonder who will win the sprint down the mountain ... the bakkie or the bike :whistling: :ph34r:

If it was actually safe to walk, run or ride on Table Mountain, I'd consider buying a permit.

• 8 months later...

So just been doing some checking on all of this as I am planning a ride this weekend. Tokai office is closed as there is no-one riding the Tokai trails - with this is the only place to get day activity passes. So you can only purchase a year pass. I am pretty sure I will do this more than once in the next 365 days but I am not convinced I am going to ride table mountain 10 times this year....

Surely if you cannot buy a day pass they cannot legally police access! 

It's called a catch 22

You remember that ticket stub I photographed and said there will be repercussions?