Fedgroup Berg & Bush 2014 questions

Squier

So, a bit more than a month to go before my first Berg & Bush. Other than a quick knee op for my partner, preparation is still going well.

Who else is riding? How many have you done?

I am riding the Great Trek solo and my wife is riding it with a friend. We have done bucket loads of long distance low intensity riding in preparation for Transbaviaans.

We have started some high intensity training this week, and we'll do at least two rides a week on technical terrain with jumps, drops, rock gardens and switchbacks.

I cannot wait, really looking forward to all the singletrack on my 150mm travel bike.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am riding the Great Trek solo and my wife is riding it with a friend. We have done bucket loads of long distance low intensity riding in preparation for Transbaviaans.

We have started some high intensity training this week, and we'll do at least two rides a week on technical terrain with jumps, drops, rock gardens and switchbacks.

I cannot wait, really looking forward to all the singletrack on my 150mm travel bike.

I did the first great trek and it was superb...super chilled. I was on a team and my partners knee konked out on day 1...so day 2 and 3 I was on my own. I gave it absolute horns...was probably the best 2 days I have ever had on my bike. I descended spionkop faster than a rabbit on heat

Any recommendations of rides in JHB or surrounds that will give a similar experience (from a technical perspective) to Berg & Bush? First Stage Race....

Any recommendations of rides in JHB or surrounds that will give a similar experience (from a technical perspective) to Berg & Bush? First Stage Race....

I would say that Thaba trails is pretty comparable in places to the B&B terrain. As an added "bonus", that little cement climb reminds me of the Spionkop climb... only a third of the length. You would need to do 3 loops of Thaba for proper effect.

The Eqstra today was also good training for the hill sections.

Need to get some distance in over the next 2 weeks. 80+kms... maybe a couple of loops of Modderfontein. Just to get some endurance into the legs.

I'm doing my first B&B partnered with my dad, also our first stage race. Super keen :clap: Can't wait for the Spionkop climb, I'm definitely going to try and go all the way! Can October come already!

Some info please,we are buying a entry of someone so its a bit last minute,what is the story with the cars on day one.

Do you go from base camp to the start and how far is it.

We both enjoy downhills so super amped.

Driving from PE so is the Freestate the best route.??

Some info please,we are buying a entry of someone so its a bit last minute,what is the story with the cars on day one.

Do you go from base camp to the start and how far is it.

We both enjoy downhills so super amped.

Driving from PE so is the Freestate the best route.??

Day 1 starts at a place called "The Border Post" and finish at the race village outside Winterton. There is a shuttle service at R400 per vehicle that takes your car from the start, to the finish of day 1.

Days 2 and 3 start and finish at the race village outside Winterton.

We are also travelling from PE, but we need to drop the dogs on the farm in the Karoo, so it will be easier for us to drive through the Free State. Driving through the Eastern Cape interior is not too bad. I drove from PE to Underberg on those roads at the end of 2013, and it was fine.

Edited by Brian Fantana

One of D4 productions edits from 2011 - there is a lot of singletrack but you can also pass in lots of sections ....

As i demonstrate at 20:52 in the video .... hahahaha

for those of you who havent done it before or are noobies this year. .. IMO it is THE best stage race in KZN! ... Sani was cool - but the fun factor at B&B cant be beat! ....

Boat Trip

Spionkop Descent!

Puff Adder descent! ...

BUMMED they took out the zipline though - that was always a hit!

for those of you who havent done it before or are noobies this year. .. IMO it is THE best stage race in KZN! ... Sani was cool - but the fun factor at B&B cant be beat! ....

Boat Trip

Spionkop Descent!

Puff Adder descent! ...

BUMMED they took out the zipline though - that was always a hit!

.......the refreshment tables on route......and locals' support......

......and evening vibe......with food and drink!

Edited by BarHugger

Morning all, I was supposed to be competing in the "Descent" is year but last weekend I fell and broke my collar bone. I have an entry that is going begging please send me a PM if you are interested, the entry will be for 2 riders. Tomorrow is unfortunately the last day for substitutions so sorry for the late notice but I'm not going to be ready in time.

***Entry has been sold***

Edited by Ryan-0