Fedgroup Berg & Bush 2014 questions

Squier

Do you really think it is necessary to have a "service package" for a 3 day ride?  If something breaks or wears out you can just purchase the required part from one of the technical assistance teams at the event, and they can install it for you, or in my case I will install myself.

True, but how are you going to install a worn out BB? Do you take your tools with you?

I just really need someone to wash my bike if it gets muddy. If you say the technical teams will assist us if something goes wrong? then I also don't see a point in getting a maintenance package

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, but how are you going to install a worn out BB? Do you take your tools with you?

I just really need someone to wash my bike if it gets muddy. If you say the technical teams will assist us if something goes wrong? then I also don't see a point in getting a maintenance package

At most stage races, the technical assistance will not work on dirty bikes.  Your bike needs to be washed by the bike wash service which I believe forms part of your entry costs.

I have a small toolbox with all the important tools, which I take with on camping trips etc, which will be in my car, and my car will be outside the race village.

I serviced our forks and shocks yesterday, and did the hubs and bottom brackets two weeks ago.  I will install new shifter cables this evening.  New chains went on 3 weeks ago.

I will take extra brake pads with, and that is about it.  Whatever else I may need I will purchase over there.

Usual spares,chain links,2 tubes,plugs,maybe a spare tyre,and spare disc pads

It's also weather related but traveling light is the answer

Usually there are a few mobile workshops with all the necessay stuff.....only the weird and very scares stuff might be a problem. Otherwise just lube, ghries, maybe an extra tyre, the normal emergency parts on route, extra butt cream (if you prefer).......and maybe an extra set of climbimg legs. Other than that, a good dose of chilled out attitude and relaxation is needed.

Let the fun begin.

My mechanic will be there. I can recommend him. He also offers service packages: www.mybicyclemechanic.co.za

We're team TreasuryOne, starting in C on the descent. Will probably drop a few batches after day 1.

Can't wait anymore! Still have a couple of stitches to get removed from my knee, but other than that I am rearing to go!

I just hope my knee holds up. Currently suffering from inflamed cartlidge and limited to low resistance, maintenance training. 

PM me your mail address and I will forward it to you

Strangely I got a reply about 15 minutes after my post so all is sorted :-)

Do you really think it is necessary to have a "service package" for a 3 day ride?  If something breaks or wears out you can just purchase the required part from one of the technical assistance teams at the event, and they can install it for you, or in my case I will install myself.

I've done 4 stage races  without a mechanics package and we were fine.  Had mechanical issues as last years Berg and Bush, but the roaming mechanics were brilliant.  Even had one fix my partners bike on the top of Spionkop.  This year however I have decided one.

Its my last time doing Berg and Bush so instead of having to worry about getting my bike washed, checked and lube reapplied, I decided to make my life easy and have someone do it all for me.

Looks like we might get some rain on the three days!

Yip, but doesn't look too heavy. Should be hundreds.

This will be my 3rd B&B, just love this race.

Spionkop is a paved road with 13 (I think) speed humps.

That's work done! Some packing tonight and leaving tomorrow morning first thing!

Packing the rain jacket... Excited as hell!

Archived