DIY QR frame modded to TA

Hi guys,

Looking for some insight on a mod I have undertaken.

I have a Momsen SL629, carbon frame. It is a QR frame. My fork is a Rockshox XC30, also QR.

Being a technically minded individual I have taken it upon myself to try and improve my bike with minimal financial burden.

My wheels are Sun ringle inferno 23's running on SRAM M406H hubs. They are QR with a 4mm skewer.

From the pictures below you will see that I have replaced the hollow threaded rod/skewer combo with a M8 rod. There are 2 nuts used to locate the cones, thus there is adjustment on these still. The rods then slip into the drop-outs comfortably and are secured with a Nylock nut. The inner nut and nylock nut then grip the frame/fork eliminating any chance of the shaft coming out while riding.

It runs smoothly so far, haven't trail tested it yet, but will tonight.

So here goes, give me your feedback.

Brilliant solution?

Insane to even consider?

post-35569-0-47538000-1403790353_thumb.jpg

Old skewers showing the old hollow rod and skewer through it

post-35569-0-95949700-1403790309_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-51499800-1403790317_thumb.jpg

Front fork with new 8mm TA

post-35569-0-83944100-1403790323_thumb.jpg

Back end with 8mm TA

post-35569-0-54449900-1403790344_thumb.jpg

Back wheel showing 8mm TA with nut setup for clamping onto frame

post-35569-0-38469700-1403790331_thumb.jpg

a - hope that is high tensile threaded rod - should be ok if it isn't, but there is more margin in hi-tensile rod.

b - I don't think you have enough engagement on the nylock locking section I the one picture it looks like it barely engages the thread.

been mentioned before as a quick fix when some have had their TA stolen from the bike storage on stage races, so will work and don't think you will have any issues

You have actually taken away an award winning invention to speed up wheel removal and replaced it with the same technology used in a 90s pick&pay special. :whistling:

But, besides that, if you can use an Aluminium shaft with a quick release function, then that would be something.

Other than that, it will stiffen it up a bit.

Edited by JA-Q001

with the frame and fork "resting" on the threaded rod, is that not the same as having it rest on a serrated knife?

just thinking that if the part of the shaft was smooth where the frame / fork interfaces it would be a little more sound a solution

You have actually taken away an award winning invention to speed up wheel removal and replaced it with the same technology used in a 90s pick&pay special. :whistling:

But, besides that, if you can use an Aluminium shaft with a quick release function, then that would be something.

Other than that, it will stiffen it up a bit.

+1

Not a good idea up in front.

Using a disc brake produces an ejecting force on the front wheel. A standard QR compensates for that with large heads on the QR bumping up against the lawyers lips on the fork. Your nuts look like they can slip past.

Also, the clamping mech on the wheels has changed and you have to redo the cone adjustment. That is, if they were adjusted properly for QR in the first place.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

After looking at it a bit closer this has really not gained anything. The hollow shaft used with the skewers rests on the frame and fork drop outs and they are 8 and 9mm front and back. So basically the skewer is just a nut holding it down. I never test rode it as I had concerns with everything coming loose on the jump jump along the trail.

It was still an enjoyable experiment, even if just to prove to myself that it can be done. Unfortunately I would need to upgrade my rear hub and fork to go to TA.

Thanks again