Wolwefontein MTB Trail, Darling WC.

jonami

In the West Coast we have a severe lack of decent trails, however we managed to locate this little gem, Wolwefontein, just outside of Darling.

I've done jonkershoek (nothing ever compares) and many other cape trails, but Wolwefontein really is gem.

Loads of single track, switchbacks, ramps, climbs descents etc.

The farmer very kindly allows cyclists to ride with a payment of R30 in an honesty box.

Go check it out.

Been meaning to get to this trail for a while now. Where is the entrance/honesty box?

Been meaning to get to this trail for a while now. Where is the entrance/honesty box?

At the parking area on the farm, there are a couple of liability notices and you can't miss the box its right there. note there are no ablutions at the parking area, so you'll have to be creative along the trail ;)

At the parking area on the farm, there are a couple of liability notices and you can't miss the box its right there. note there are no ablutions at the parking area, so you'll have to be creative along the trail ;)

Thanks

Two routes:

Red - about 22km and 490m of climbing

Green - think it is 10km haven't ridden the green one yet

• 8 months later...

Rode the Wolwefontein trail (red) for the first time today and was very pleasantly surprised! They have done a marvelous job there. In some respects I even enjoyed it more than some local Cape Town trails as it has not been overused as what we encounter around the northern suburbs. It is mostly single track on farmland and koppies. Also includes a few sections that is a lot of fun!

Not quite close enough to CT for a ride after work, but definitely a weekend option. And with all the fires recently, Wolwefontein is a destination I will consider more often!

• 2 months later...

After the congestion of the Darling Brew race last week I took some friends to ride the whole trail this AM. Not one other rider there - it was an absolute blast!

After one heavy rainfall though, it was already showing signs of run-off so I hope it will be fine in winter or they can build some rain channels. Massive bonus though - cos of the soil type my bike was clean after an hour and a half of riding! :)

• 2 years later...

I rode this trail today (Jan 2018) and sadly I have to say it is in dire need of some maintenance. Many of the trail markers are damaged or missing making it difficult to follow and a few of the wooden bridges are broken leaving nails protruding from the pieces of wood. Its a shame really because you can see there once was a lot of work put into making these trails. 

I would suggest finding somewhere else to ride until some work is done on this farm.

• 5 months later...

Just spoke to the trail owner and got some good news:

- Trail maintenance was done for the DBX 18 race, so the trails are good to go

- There is now a bathroom at the start as well

Please remember the honesty box and contribute to this trail being kept up & running for us

(They do not make a profit at all, it's for the love of the sport)

• 2 months later...

anyone ridden this trail recently ?

Im down there in 2 weeks time and would like to ride it if its in good condition. 

anyone ridden this trail recently ?

Im down there in 2 weeks time and would like to ride it if its in good condition. 

Hi  i tried to contact them about 6 weeks back  about site map state of trail and markers etc.etc and site was unresponsive .Coincidentally Today 18/09/2018 I got a message apologizing for the delay in reply but they are working on funding to get the trail active again."message has since then disappeared from this morning"was i dreaming"

anyway  We ended up riding Ikwato 

ok found their response  again 

Wolwefontein Hi. Sorry for the late reply. We are waiting for some funds and time to upgrade the the trails a bit and also make new site. This will be done before DBX19 (may 2019)

Edited by HowardSteele