Candy vs Egg Beaters vs SPD Pedals. GO! (for MTB)

KeaganB

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've switched from Shimano 520's to Crankbrother's Candy 2's. Have to say that I don't regret the switch at all. Maybe if I used a higher end SPD pedal it would have been different? I enjoy the "float" the Candy's allow and the extra contact with the pedal.

My feet doesn't get as tired as with the 520's on longer rides, maybe I just set the cleats up better on the shoes for the Candy's. I used to get cramps in my right calf even with the cleats the furthest back with the 520's and was able to move the cleats forward since I started using the Candy's.

I agree with the Spider, Look over Crank Bros for me on the mtb. Mine is now in their 3d year during which they saw some hectic abuse at times, and still going strong. I find them easier to unclip and lower maintenance (no rebuild yet) than my Eggbeaters. I do mis the easier engagement of the 'beaters - 4 possible clip in positions vs 2.

Look's crappy road pedal design should not detract from their excellent mtb pedals.

Edited by Christie

• 1 year later...

After every ride now i clean my SPD pedals well and apply new lube. (hate any squeaks). Would this not relate well if i bought a crank brothers pedal?

I stay in the garden route so generally muddy conditions.

Do you have trouble with the plastic end caps or does yours have metal ones?