Candy vs Egg Beaters vs SPD Pedals. GO! (for MTB)

KeaganB

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shimano XT SPD's are the best. I've also destroyed 3 sets of different model egg beaters.

Spd all the way!! Crank brothers anything will fail prematurely!!

I have had a XTR SPD go foobar on me recently, but it was 3 years down the line though. All the others I have, have been hassle free. There is a Richtey option as well

http://cx.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/gallery/ritchey-logic-paradigm-clipless-pedals/thumbs/thumbs_t448_0e31105a8b6e52c4b4a8e139f3348bbc1.jpg

So I put on egg beaters on my spez which I bought today, by the looks of it I made a mistake. Must say I only rode it down the road and love the ease of clipping in and out.

There are some supporters of Look pedals, yep they great.......for 4 months.. Then you throw them away.....far away.

Had them on all my mtb for the last while, returned to Crank Bros Candy. They got some nice new ones that have bushes in place of bearings and can be rebuilt completely.......oh and for the price of the titanium Looks I replace three bikes with Candy......and they have new limited float cleats.............yes I'm a fan

can't say I've destroyed any Crank Bros Eggbeaters since Since 2003 and the last two sets I"ve had are still going strong.

Only reason I went back to ATAC was I wanted the feeling of a more connected platform under my foot while still having float and rotational freedom. Once you ATAC, there's no going back

I've done 3,000+ km (measured with garmin edge) with a set of candy 3 pedals. I've recently rebuild them (complete rebuild kit). They've taken some beating over the years, but still does the job. I believe (based on my experience) they're great! They shed mud; they're tough. I've regularly cleaned mine (once every 3 months) and greased the needle bearings. So i think if you look after them they can serve you well.

I also had problems with the egg beater pedals wearing through my carbon soles and I had to get those egg beater protection plates.

Beware and I think they should actually sell them with the pedals and not as an accessory that you only realize is available after the damage is already been done.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=22308&category=113

http://pedaldamnit.blogspot.com/2007/11/eggbeater-shoe-shields-for-carbon-fiber_15.html

I've been riding Candys now for about 2 years and have had no issues. I've had 2 pairs though but replaced my Candy 3s with Candy 2s, after I found a good deal on thehub, not because I had to. Those pedals are now on my spinning bike and there's nothing wrong with them.

For me, there's a big difference in terms of comfort between the SPDs and the Crank Bros. I used to struggle with sore feet on long days in the saddle on the SPDs, which the Candys have completelry eradicated. Have done two Sani2c's now with them, and have had no issues. Also, the rotational float is a big plus, especially if you're prone to ITB.

Two years down the line, I'm still very happy with my move to Crank Bros.

What kind of riding do you do? If you do more distance/jeeptrack on your bike than aggressive riding where your pedals are going to be hitting logs and rocks, I would say your options out of the above recommendations can be based on looks, weight and clipping feel - considering you do the basic lube servicing annually - possibly rebuild every couple thousand km's. Obviosuly there are other pros and cons for each - in regards to body geometry which I have no frame of reference for - so no opinion other than personal experience.

If you however ride rough terrain often where your pedals will be taking shots - I would recommend SPD's - something like the XT's or trail cage versions. They are secure, take shots time and time again without hassles (no Time puns used or intended) and they are good looking, decent weight and Shimano support/parts are available pretty much anywhere.

SPD's all the way. I've got 424's with the cage platform in both my Pyga and Yeti and they great for trail riding. Another option I saw was a trail clip less pedal from Funn. Just google it. Looks to have the same clipess system as a Shim SPD but has a great Ali Platform around it, with a few pins so its basically the best of both worlds.

SPD's all the way. I've got 424's with the cage platform in both my Pyga and Yeti and they great for trail riding. Another option I saw was a trail clip less pedal from Funn. Just google it. Looks to have the same clipess system as a Shim SPD but has a great Ali Platform around it, with a few pins so its basically the best of both worlds.