American Classic or Stan's Crest?

GrantRH

Ok, so I finally made my mind up... going for the ACs. Not interested in the race rims, I want the extra control offered by the wide rims. At 1569 (?) grams for a pair they are light enough for my purposes.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does it work with AC if you damage a rim and need to have it replaced and therefore the wheel rebuilt? According to their website they only offer a crash replacement program in the US. And they do not sell individual rims so you have to send the wheel to them for a rebuild.

Anyone been through a replacement rim exercise via the SA agents and can tell me how it works?

take your wheel/rim to your lbs, and they will deal with the local agents cape cycles http://www.capecycle....za/brands.html who will sort everything out

cape cycles will not deal directly, so you have to go through your lbs

AC's done and dusted. With me rocket Ron on front and racing Ralph on back.

Relatively easy refit with cassette etc, but converting the quick releases to 15mm thru-axle took me the better part of the evening.

But they are oh so sweet...post-59482-1405459968,1165.jpg

Relatively easy refit with cassette etc, but converting the quick releases to 15mm thru-axle took me the better part of the evening.

But they are oh so sweet...post-59482-1405459968,1165.jpg

Love it. They look great. :drool:

• 4 months later...

But they are oh so sweet...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1405459965.924841.jpg

Any feedback on these wheels so far? I'm considering making them the next upgrade.

• 4 months later...

I realise this is an old thread, but there has probably been sufficient time to get a real world review on this upgrade.

So Id love to hear how this wheelset is still performing and what your experience with them has been.

Looking forward to a reply

Nothing but great things to say about the AC. I've done a lot of riding on them and they have stayed true throughout. Very light and the wider rims are the way forward... appear more grippy with the wider contact area.

I realise this is an old thread, but there has probably been sufficient time to get a real world review on this upgrade.

So Id love to hear how this wheelset is still performing and what your experience with them has been.

Im currently in the almost identical position the OP was when he did his initial post. In that I have a 2015 Epic Comp and as part of my stepped upgrade path to 1x11 I can either replace my hubs or replace the wheels as part of a wider upgrade. Ive decided to start with the wheels and then move on to the crank ect ect.

Looking forward to a reply

I had crests, dad american classics. He weighs about 20kg's more than me and his AC's are still rock solid, spokes are nice and tight and he hasn't dinged the rim even though his tire pressure can be soft at times. 

My crest, rear wheel specifically needed trueing. 

No troubles with either of them but I am sold on AC wheels. You won't even notice a weight difference, they are nice (better) looking, decals last a lot longer than the ZTR stickers, they fit tires with ease and you don't need to tape up the rims and worry about that admin. 

Wrt price difference, you save with the AC's since you don't need to buy valves or rim tape and over the course of 2 years or so I have had to replace the rim tape and valves more times than I would have liked. AC's you just pop on the tires, inflate and go. No hassles.

I've been riding crests for almost 4 years (on 2 bikes). Recently dented both front & back in same ride - beyond repair. So went for the AC wide lightning and I'm super impressed. Haven't had the ACs long enough to give long term view, but from the couple of rides I've been doing I'm sold on wider rims. I've run the exact same tyre combo (RaRa) front and back before and after the change. The wider rim increase tyre width & contact area; thus giving more grip. Also more grip on higher pressures with wider rim. I would not think twice; AC definately. My wheelsets weigh exactly the same. Sam hubs, same spokes, different rims. So the AC rims weigh same as crests.

Quick question folks

Where can I buy those AC rims in Joburg? I am currently out of SA, unable to

go around the shops looking.

Thanks in advance!

I've been riding crests for almost 4 years (on 2 bikes). Recently dented both front & back in same ride - beyond repair. So went for the AC wide lightning and I'm super impressed. Haven't had the ACs long enough to give long term view, but from the couple of rides I've been doing I'm sold on wider rims. I've run the exact same tyre combo (RaRa) front and back before and after the change. The wider rim increase tyre width & contact area; thus giving more grip. Also more grip on higher pressures with wider rim. I would not think twice; AC definately. My wheelsets weigh exactly the same. Sam hubs, same spokes, different rims. So the AC rims weigh same as crests.

You had AM hubs on crest rims? 90% certain the crest rims are lighter. Crests on AM hubs are super light.

But they are oh so sweet...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1405459965.924841.jpg

This is really useful Grant. Thanks.

Why, or did you, not get Hope hubs?

Quick question folks

Where can I buy those AC rims in Joburg? I am currently out of SA, unable to

go around the shops looking.

Thanks in advance!

I've got a set in stock from a cancelled order. PM me.

Archived