Sani2c 2015

Gringo

i can see the threads the week after sani .. GPS not accurate, distance not accurate.

Lots of complaints that the GPS points were not accurate ....

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sani riders

We've just touched down after a great Joberg2C where we charged all 800+ riders GPS's and phones over the 9 days. We have a few days back in the Cape Town office before we head back up to K Z Natal to support the Sani2C. 

Last year we only followed the Race. This year we will be providing retail and free charging service for all three events: Trail + Adventure + Race. 

Glencairne - retail 

Product retail and support

Pre-order collection point

MacKenzie Country Club - free charging for Amped devices

The Power House will supply free reloading for all Amped products. If you have an Epic, Joberg2C, W2W or other Amped product, you're part of the club, so please bring your Amped in for reloading. 

Jolivet - free charging for Amped devices

​For those of you who haven't visited the new revamped Jolivet, you're in for a good surprise. Come and visit Amped in the new Chill Zone barn, where we have a permanent charge bar built to ensure that you stay charged all the way to the sea. 

We're looking forward to another great Sani! 

See you at Glencairne. 

The Amped team 

i can see the threads the week after sani .. GPS not accurate, distance not accurate.

Lots of complaints that the GPS points were not accurate ....

With JHB there were very few issues! People also have to understand that last minute changes to the route is also possible. We had to take a detour through the sugarcane fields with JHB2C due to the farmer harvesting on our final day. They did put proper route markings up for that section but that will obviously through out your total stage distance...

I am all for GPS after JHB2C. It works brilliantly and is very easy to follow. The nice thing is that they have programmed in distances to the waterpoints etc as well which is very helpfull for pacing yourself!

Been sick with Flu this entire week, damn i hope i can ride on Tuesday.

Go and get a 'Jet Fuel' drip. Also had a slight cold hit two days ago. Doc sorted out quick quick, a mix of immune boosters, vitamins and all the other good things that they plugged into me. Cold that started is now on the way out.

Am not seeing why everyone is hung up on the GPS... what different is it to a normal race with minimal markers.

You follow the racers in front of you and the route is pretty well laid out... at the point where you would expect markers to give you the direction (if you have no one to follow), just check your gps to see which way to go... so instead of looking ahead for a rout marker... you briefly look down at the gps... and that is only likely to be at a point where there is more than one option to go...

Just uploaded the GPS data to the garmin - how easy is the breadcrumb thing to follow?

I've used them quite a few times in the UK and they're fine to follow, and that's on much smaller and fiddlier trails than Sani. You will quickly get a scaling on the screen that suits your speed and eyesight after that it's even easier, even my Mrs could follow the trail when she tried it last weekend!

I used the files they provided last year and it worked perfectly (except for a small change after the 3rd waterpoint on day 2). It is really nice to know exactly how far it is to the next waterpoint (or finish!) and the distances are accurate. You tend to look more at it in the beginning, but once the novelty wears off you tend to look at it less.

After last years Sani I also started plotting out some of our group rides and then loading it into the Garmin. It really is a great tool and easy to use.

HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF - rear swing arm has just been delivered to LBS. MASSIVE thanks to Grant Usher at Sprocket and Jack and the guys at Probike (Scott) for pulling this rabbit out of a hat

I spoke to Matt from Easybike yesterday. They are busy uploading the courses onto Garmin Connect which you will then be able to send to the 310/910XT device.

You cant import it yourself - I tried

I found a work around but it takes time.  You have to use Garmin Express and import the .tcx files as an activity.  Then convert it to a course and make sure you untick "stay on road" and tick "km markers".  You can then send them to your device.  That's the easy part.  The difficult part is Garmin Express does not recognise the supplied .tcx files so you have to create them yourself by converting the .gpx files to .tcx files using a tcx converter.  I used http://tcx-converter.software.informer.com/download/

THanks gents!! Sorted after 3 days of frustrating myself!

Just uploaded the GPS data to the garmin - how easy is the breadcrumb thing to follow?

(I have never trusted a breadcrumb trail in the past - more likely to get eaten by birds than get you home safely.)

Also my Garmin tells me I last cycled on the 12 April  :eek: it's going to be a long painful 3 days.

May the force be with you!

My sani partner (ex military) always has the best advice which applies to ALL situations in live and here goes:

"It's important not too panic."  ;)

Guys and Gals, we will be absolutely fine.  Us humanoid are wonderful at adapting and GPS is the future, get used to it. 

Coming for you from C batch...

Anyone know of a a person / team whom have booked the shuttle service and not going to use it?

For a mate whom got an entry recently

Anyone know of a a person / team whom have booked the shuttle service and not going to use it?

For a mate whom got an entry recently

Pm sent

It's simple, I am going to use the stars to navigate! My forefathers did in it in 1488

Am not seeing why everyone is hung up on the GPS... what different is it to a normal race with minimal markers.

You follow the racers in front of you and the route is pretty well laid out... at the point where you would expect markers to give you the direction (if you have no one to follow), just check your gps to see which way to go... so instead of looking ahead for a rout marker... you briefly look down at the gps... and that is only likely to be at a point where there is more than one option to go...

I agree, we don't even have one between the two of us........but then again we're not exactly push to be front of A batch!

Archived