Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

Charl van der Spuy here.

Followed online for a quite a few years - with the pics of Steve and Tim haunting me to do it.

Rode in 2011, got my arse kicked, fell on ice on a concrete drift into Slaapkranz and broke some bits.

Went home with my tail between my legs out of Moordenaars and on a plane home from Bloem.

Went back in 2012 had the ride of my life with some of the best okes ever.

Will be back one day.

When people say the hub is dead - I say read the FC threads - proof that social media can be constructive and very useful.

Haven't written a blog/ update this year as I think the FC website is great with the daily contributions of Glenn, Carl, Fiona, John and Mike (before he got distracted).

Plus I think I need to requalify - wearing the shirt from 2012 is stretching it a bit.

Lastly I am not sure the FC needs any promotion anymore - it is fully subscribed this year and has a momentum of its own - there are many disciples here ready to convert anyone who shows the slightest interest or enthusiasm.

RASA 2015 is now truly in full swing and looking at today's weather and what could be on the way next week - game on!

(ps don't do twitter)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

umm, is the entrance to the ladder going to be an issue this year again ?

The answer likely hasn't changed from the last time you asked it :)

you mean 'die Leer'? looks sorted with a positive comment from the landowners wishing all riders good luck - earlier in the thread

umm, is the entrance to the ladder going to be an issue this year again ?

As per the answer to the same question of yours on pg48.

edit: Tom beat me to it while I was paging back for you...

I took this clip on Mpharane Ridge 2014 in the strong wind. They do lift a bit in the beginning to show how the wind floats the bike and then further you can see how the wind side swipes the bike. The actress is Janine who this morning became 2nd lady to make Ntsikeni in less than a day and according to Mike W one of less than 10 ever to do it in a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhFxhrCj4UA&feature=youtu.be

ok. back to the race!

looks like Tim has made a break and is now riding alone, just starting a scratchy bit.

I think he's made his intentions clear, he's going for win#3

Andrew barnes was a late entry, not sure what his plan is, but he will not be on a holiday schedule.

Marnitz is riding in a group - that is always slower.

this hectic weather could shuffle it up a bit, and the race snake guys could hit some serious issues getting over the rhodes=>molteno section. But I can't see any clear dark horses emerging from the early groups(GO johan rissik!)

questions for those who have been following a bit closer than me:

is there any leaderboard spreadsheet?found it on webpage, scroll below FB widget

the tracking system is great, looks really reliable. I do miss two functions -a) timestamps b)previous day's history. or am i just not working it correctly?

Why does this race not have a much bigger profile????

So exciting!

I was entranced the first time I saw the 1hr documentary back in 2010/11 - can't remember when...

Awesome event that I hope one day to participate in.

Why does this race not have a much bigger profile????

shhh... that's how we like it...

My name is Carl Scholtz and I am a FC addict

makingtrackz.wordpress.com

Also do the daily FC report every 2/3rd night

Whip Bearer, Windmill Keeper but no blanket so I participate in conversation with humility

:-)

Carine Reyneke, Ride2Rhodes 2009, before it bacame a race. Had the great honour of meeting and riding with Freedom Challengers for 6 days on the way to Rhodes, and ever since addicted to their blogs, tweets and mumblings while they're out there.

For those that has not seen the hotel on top of the mountain.  Luckily the door was unlocked and inside was 2 mattresses with blankets and a wood stove (if you have the energy to light a fire). We heard rumours of the door closing on people and locking then inside so we kept the door open for the 2 hours we spent there waiting for the sun to rise.

post-53742-0-21827100-1434550807_thumb.jpg

post-53742-0-15687300-1434550816_thumb.jpg

post-53742-0-98824200-1434550823_thumb.jpg

Carine Reyneke, Ride2Rhodes 2009, before it bacame a race. Had the great honour of meeting and riding with Freedom Challengers for 6 days on the way to Rhodes, and ever since addicted to their blogs, tweets and mumblings while they're out there.

Was this supported or unsupported?

There is still a Ride - this is now a supported version of the Race.

For those that has not seen the hotel on top of the mountain.  Luckily the door was unlocked and inside was 2 mattresses with blankets and a wood stove (if you have the energy to light a fire). We heard rumours of the door closing on people and locking then inside so we kept the door open for the 2 hours we spent there waiting for the sun to rise.

It isn't a rumour...

And... great ride Eddie  :thumbup:  Stuff of legends.

Eddie you are insane, when we heard you where on your way up Lehanas that late in the day, you immediately earned legend status.  You did however look slightly "glazed over" when we drove past you on our way out of Rhodes - not sure if you where exhausted or your eye balls where frozen.

Well done on an incredible achievement - R2R is one thing, but Lehanas at night - nuts!!

I'm guessing it gets dark about 5pm this time of year in kzn?

Tim is still not at masakala, after having left at 4:30am he has taken a long time today. quite a push through to malekholonyane through queens mercy floodplains. i wouldn't be surprised if he holes up till maybe 2am. before leaving again. and would expect Andrew to catch up sometime tonight.

Archived