Prep for 2015 Freedom Challenge / Race to Rhodes

I saw this year there a few places where you could choose to use an alternative route . I assume the "shorter"routes are also the tougher routes (depending on the weather) .

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:clap: Wet weather ?!!! Was this predicted by Nostradamus ? . I see that Peper spray can also be used against some dogs in there . Hear somebody got attacked by a dog and got a few teeth marks in his leg as reminder !

It only happen to those that smell human, why to clean, to little sweat....

I saw this year there a few places where you could choose to use an alternative route . I assume the "shorter"routes are also the tougher routes (depending on the weather) .

Not really an assumption you can make... Take the previous discussion - for a physically strong individual thats confident re their hiking, Lehanas (shorter route) maybe easier than the round about route. For someone who isn't strong at walking with a bike on their back but is a strong rider the long route on the road might be better. So both can be 'easier', depending on the rider. In this case, I believe the round about route will always take longer - it's simply that much further.

Nstikeni is another example - both options as tough as each other, but an individual will prefer a specific route. I personally prefer the long route and can be quicker on it than the 'shortcut' but it's still a tough stretch...

Ryan if I look at your photo it looks like you prefer the hike-a-bike sections . :thumbup: .

Planning the route you are going to take is obviously a decision you have made long before the race ? While I am not training yet maybe good idea to get those maps out .

Ryan if I look at your photo it looks like you prefer the hike-a-bike sections . :thumbup: .

Planning the route you are going to take is obviously a decision you have made long before the race ? While I am not training yet maybe good idea to get those maps out .

there's quite a bit of hike-a-bike, never mind what you prefer.

Haha - there's no other option where that photo was taken (actually exiting the Ntsikeni stretch on to the district road) - beaut hike-a-bike climb on 'tennis ball' shape and size rocks.

Planning the route is a necessity as it helps get your head around the task that lies ahead. But you must be open to changing it - organisers may be forced to change it, or they may suggest 'shortcuts' (use at your own perel) along the way, or you hook up with riders who know sections, you would've avoided, very well and you end up going along with them...

Studying the maps IS part of the training. We spent hours looking at maps, google earth and routes from recce rides - my riding buddy was particularly good at this (google maps etc) and we spent a large amount of time discussing options from memory against viewing maps and google landscapes that he would have layed out on his desk.

And Google Earth too.

I've learnt loads by using the downloadable maps and plotting the course using Google Earth. I've reached as far as Rhodes now, and in my mind I've already seen quite a bit of the route now.

I think that studying the alternative routes when they come (trail splits, then joins again later) is a good idea. Many of those shorter direct routes are hike-a-bike through a river valley, etc. In great weather, take the straight line shortcut. In *** weather with lots of rain & mud, stick to the longer route if it's more of a road than a goat track.

The other consideration is if you reach a section at night. If I was going to try tackle Lehanas at night in the rain, then going around via Philipsrust is a no-brainer.... might be a better idea.

[Edit: I get the feeling there is no such thing as a 'no brainer' on the Freedom trail.]

there's quite a bit of hike-a-bike, never mind what you prefer.

Hike-a-bikes also give you much needed time out of the saddle. As MTBeer says, you can't always avoid them - but that isn't a bad thing.

Good effort - Google maps really brings things "too life" if you can't get out on the trail itself.

I see you're in KZN - if you haven't been out on the trail and are keen give us a shout and we can head out for a day.

Hike-a-bikes also give you much needed time out of the saddle. :thumbup: As MTBeer says, you can't always avoid them - but that isn't a bad thing.

especially when you packed your backpack like a chop and it weighs a ton. :thumbdown:

especially when you packed your backpack like a chop and it weighs a ton. :thumbdown:

Couple recce's and a discussion with Mr Dreyer sorted that problem out :thumbup:

Marnitz, I've been looking at Lehana's pass today. The FC map shows 2 routes to the top:

1. The direct route straight up (hike-a-bike)

2. A longer route around to Philipsrust and then up Naude's Nek. Looks like a decent enough jeep track up to the top, ridable most of the way.

My question is, even though the route around Philipsrust and up Naude's Nek looks ridable most of the way, is it really still worth the slog straight up with your bike on your back? How much time is saved?

It all depends on who is riding and if the wind is howling, I have done both ways, the longer route is easier and much more ride able, if you're a strong rider like Tim James who prefer the longer route, it might be done in the same time as Lehana's, but then you need to stay on you're bike, if you're going to push it will take you longer but with less effort.

Lehana's is a bliksem, I prefer doing it at night and if you don't mind carrying your bike it will take you more or less 3 hours to the top, the mountain shelters you from the wind but only the last 2 km. You've got more shelter on Lehana's than on the long way round, there might be times on Lehana's on the ridge line when you would experience serious gusts which will probably blow you over, but you can shelter on the other side of the ridge line.

If you going the easier long way round and if the wind is howling you will experience constant wind the last 5km on the way to Naude's Nek, and you will experience serious head winds near the top.

I see Lehana's as preparation for what's waiting for you, the next few portages isn't ride able and the sooner you get use to carrying your bike the better.

The long way round took me 2 hours longer than going up Lehana's, we actually wasted another hour in finding the start, don't know if Chris has corrected it yet, but you need to ride another 16km to the start of the long way round, not 8 km as stated in the narratives, from the Lehana's turn off. The long way round you can do in a 4x4, Lehana's I won't even attempt on a off road bike. The longway round is something similar to Sani Pass.

I prefer carrying a bike, at times I'll be faster carrying my bike than pushing it, and when I push my bike it's at about 5 - 5.5 km/h, you can do an exercise in really rough terrain, carrying is faster than pushing unless you don't have the upper strength.

Enjoy !!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good effort - Google maps really brings things "too life" if you can't get out on the trail itself.

I see you're in KZN - if you haven't been out on the trail and are keen give us a shout and we can head out for a day.

Thanks Ryan. I'm without an mtb at the moment (stuck to the road for now). In the next couple of months I'll start buying up parts for a build, so will probably hit the trail from next year.

Don't know if I missed it on here , but who entered already ?

the smart/committed guys who saw the early bird price(new innovation, that one)

Archived