2014 Knysna Cycle Tour (Road)

Aedon

Missed it this year and was wondering how well the new road route was received?

Did it suit the mountain goats?

I thought it was great, a hundred times better than the old route. Awesome scenery, great climbs and on good roads. Also there were hardly any cars once you were off the N2.

I only did the MTB ride but have heard from a number of mates that the 2 extra climbs on the new section were extremely tough and probably not for the average roadie.I overheard someone who had just finished saying he will never do it again.

Just checked the new route..looks interesting with all those turnarounds.

http://www.knysnacycle.co.za/images/routes/road_summary_2014.jpg

I got 'suckered' into doing both the 80km Mtb as well as the 109km Road events :eek: note to self : wayyyy to early in the season for this. Thankfully we dodged the rain, but what did come down on Friday night did ensure a heavy, muddy & wet ride. The Road event gets a thumbs up for taking us off the N2, buuuuuut if we're gonna have to suffer for a full 109km over those rolling hills :whistling: I for one would appreciate being timed for that and not the 100km as shown on racetec :thumbdown: what's with that ?!

• 3 weeks later...

I have no idea how they can let 1000's of cyclists ride on a national highway without road closures. Not for me thanks.

I have no idea how they can let 1000's of cyclists ride on a national highway without road closures. Not for me thanks.

Plenty of space, and loads of traffic cops. very very very few road races have full road closures.

I think it was a great ride this year! The route was challenging, it was nice to get off the N2, some great scenery at the top. There was no issue with being on the N2, plenty of space. Best part of this ride is that the first climb creates very equal groups foe the remainder of the ride. Great test of the legs.

Did both the 80 and 109, The road was tough the day after the MTB, but thats how one grows....so they say.

The very first steep one suited me perfect, I died on the second one, I didn't have any power left in my legs by the time we reach that.

Also on the downhills, it was quite a headwind and my sticks were battling. I would definitely do it again, both.

I loved the new route...the climbs was perfect! Longish climbs which we don't get often in races. There was a small break in the beginning but we managed to catch alot, only a few got away...last climb there was a attack by some Abantu and BMC guys where I followed...finished in about 2:58 if I remember correctly. Will definitely be back next year!