What spokes

sustan

These spokes are strong, you say? How much stronger are they than an equivalent 2.0-1.8-2.0 from another brand? Further, you say they last forever. How long is forever?

No need to get technical now JB.This is my objective opinion.They are, for me, good value for money when compared to other spoke brands.No spoke will last forever due to metal fatigue. At a point in time, which no one can tell, any spoke will brake due to fatigue.I my personal opinion they are well priced and work for me. This might not be the same for other people. Others may prefer Sapim or DT Swiss.

No need to get technical now JB.This is my objective opinion.They are, for me, good value for money when compared to other spoke brands.No spoke will last forever due to metal fatigue. At a point in time, which no one can tell, any spoke will brake due to fatigue.I my personal opinion they are well priced and work for me. This might not be the same for other people. Others may prefer Sapim or DT Swiss.

Hmmm. On a technical forum you did offer advice that pointed to empirical values. Now you change your tune and say it was mere opinion. The OP deserves a good answer or silence if none is forthcoming. Don't bring price, fatigue and other red herrings into a simple answer.

Hi Johan, what would you recommend?

Dave Marshall, Kosmonooit and Droo already gave the answer. Reality is that the OP will have to use new spokes, he hasn't got the choice to use his old spokes since they will be the wrong length, Shimano and Hope hubs having different dimensions. Finally, only use a wheelbuilder that can explain "stress relieving." That is usually the decider issue. Without stress relieving, even the best spoke is prone to premature failure

Edited by Johan Bornman

These spokes are strong, you say? How much stronger are they than an equivalent 2.0-1.8-2.0 from another brand? Further, you say they last forever. How long is forever?

Condescending much?

Condescending much?

Yes well...it is the man who guarantees wheels for a lifetime without spoke breakages...who's lifetime?

It has been said before on these forums that a good wheel builder does not need to advertise or explain the technicalities and metrics of a wheel build, his work will do the talking...

Same as a good cyclist won't shout his mouth off about how he will win the race, he/she will let the legs do the talking...

Condescending much?

I'd go with calling BS before it propagates. If the original claim had been backed up with any kind of evidence, there could have been room for discussion. Unfortunately, since the claim was untrue, there wasn't any evidence, so JB (more given to logic than other peoples' opinions of him) called a spade a spade.

Yes there's more to wheelbuilding than book smarts, but it does help to have a solid grounding in the basics.

While we're about it, a properly stress relieved spoke will never fail due to metal fatigue. Stress relieving, as its name suggests, removes the residual stresses from the manufacture of the spoke and makes sure the material will never exceed its fatigue limit in normal use.