[Event] Chris Willemse Cycles Durbie Dash

CWC Online

I also did the Light by linea winter series @ R150 per race.

Its obviously a much much smaller event with only 300+- riders so marshal and traffic cop and ambulance costs are much lower. Also no water points at all and only 1 route distance so you cannot compare the 2 events.

This event will prob attract well over 1000 riders so you need a lot more marshals, traffic cops and ambulances and sweeper vehicles.

Also this is for charity so I assume some of the funds are going towards the local charities as well.

R150 vs R220 is not that big of a diff. Also LBL races were out in stellenbosch/paarl region so work in fuel costs?

The last LBL race from Worcester to Stellenbosch worked out very pricey but I didnt care as I thoroughly enjoyed the race and experience.

Just some perspective.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paid 100 Randelas for the West Coast X just recently.

Wazzup with this entry fee?

Can't remember it edging over 200 last year?

Out of principle (the one of being robbed blind) I will not do this race.

A pity, as it is in my backyard, so to speak. Then again, I can ride the exact route anytime I want.

That R220 will be well spent when I stop for brekkies at Muggs...a leka Gr8 American brekkies with bottomless coffee...and still have alot of change left to stop at Ridein the next day :thumbup:

We at CWCycles are very proud to be the main sponsors for the Durbie Dash this year. Our plan are to help Durbanville school making this event a big one on the calender and hopefully we will be able to get bigger and better prizes in the nexct couple of years like we did with the old Burger/Sanlam event where we use to have great prizes which includes a vehicle as a main lucky draw prize.

I am sure some of you will remember that one year we had more than 11000 riders. Why cant we all help making this event a big one again.

We can only acheive this with the input and help of every cyclist. I just want to make it very clear that we at CWC is not involved in the organising of the event BUT are helping with the sponsorship and getting some great lucky draw prizes.

Please send us your possitive ideas.

Sorry Chris Willemse, i fail to see how i can give positive ideas at those entry fees for a race...

Disappointed.......

:thumbdown:

This event will prob attract well over 1000 riders so you need a lot more marshals, traffic cops and ambulances and sweeper vehicles.

R150 vs R220 is not that big of a diff. Also LBL races were out in stellenbosch/paarl region so work in fuel costs?

Just some perspective.

Bankie I don't agree with your reasoning , last year there was also about 1000 entrants and the entry fee was R110. So how do one justify a 100% increase for basically the same event?

You might need more personnel for a bigger race but you also get more entry fees so cost per cyclist shouldn't be that much more expensive.

The petrol cost angle is true if you live in Durbanville, but a lot of cyclists don't live in Durbanville so for them it is almost irrelevant if they travel to Durbanville or Stellenbosch when it comes to fuel.

For me it is not so much the R220, of course we can afford it, but the principle. Why do they charge double what they did last year for the same thing. Why is the pricing so out of line with most other events?

Sorry Chris Willemse, i fail to see how i can give positive ideas at those entry fees for a race...

Disappointed.......

:thumbdown:

Entry Fees has more than doubled from last year!!

Bankie I don't agree with your reasoning , last year there was also about 1000 entrants and the entry fee was R110. So how do one justify a 100% increase for basically the same event?

You might need more personnel for a bigger race but you also get more entry fees so cost per cyclist shouldn't be that much more expensive.

The petrol cost angle is true if you live in Durbanville, but a lot of cyclists don't live in Durbanville so for them it is almost irrelevant if they travel to Durbanville or Stellenbosch when it comes to fuel.

For me it is not so much the R220, of course we can afford it, but the principle. Why do they charge double what they did last year for the same thing. Why is the pricing so out of line with most other events?

+1000 000

We at CWCycles are very proud to be the main sponsors for the Durbie Dash this year. Our plan are to help Durbanville school making this event a big one on the calender and hopefully we will be able to get bigger and better prizes in the nexct couple of years like we did with the old Burger/Sanlam event where we use to have great prizes which includes a vehicle as a main lucky draw prize.

I am sure some of you will remember that one year we had more than 11000 riders. Why cant we all help making this event a big one again.

We can only acheive this with the input and help of every cyclist. I just want to make it very clear that we at CWC is not involved in the organising of the event BUT are helping with the sponsorship and getting some great lucky draw prizes.

Please send us your possitive ideas.

My suggestions -

I see an event which now cost double what it did last year and which pricing is out of line with other funrides for no obvious reason. Maybe give an explanation on the website on why the price has increased so much, if all the extra money goes to charity it's fine be me, I would just like to know why I'm paying more. The old 99er website (not the new one) had a nice section in their FAQ's on why they are more expensive than most other funrides, I might not have agreed with it 100% but at least I could follow their reasoning.

If you really want to grow your event push for road closures, even if it is just partial like the dangerous final stretch on Adderley street, I will happily pay more for that rather than lucky draws.

My suggestions -

I see an event which now cost double what it did last year and which pricing is out of line with other funrides for no obvious reason. Maybe give an explanation on the website on why the price has increased so much, if all the extra money goes to charity it's fine be me, I would just like to know why I'm paying more. The old 99er website (not the new one) had a nice section in their FAQ's on why they are more expensive than most other funrides, I might not have agreed with it 100% but at least I could follow their reasoning.

If you really want to grow your event push for road closures, even if it is just partial like the dangerous final stretch on Adderley street, I will happily pay more for that rather than lucky draws.

True, What percentage of people even care about/stay for the lucky draw? I guess 30-40% if you're lucky? So that is not likely to draw a lot of people. I have never heard anyone say "Wow, I can win a car in a lucky draw at that race. Definitely going to enter.". That being said, I understand as a title sponsor of the race, 11000 entries and lucky draw prices are why you are involved. Nothing wrong with that.

Adding more actual value to the race - there in lies the true value. As Skubarra suggests, maybe consider road closure for some sections. I for one would then have entered, even if the price doubled from last year.

On another note, I don't feel it is fair to say anything bad about CWC regarding this race. I think you guys have a very nice shop and run a decent business, and even appreciate you getting involved in the local races. But if you are only a sponsor, and do not receive ANY financial compensation whatsoever for being involved here (other than increased sales from the advertising), it might be in your interest to stand up for the cyclists and negotiate a cheaper rate for this race in future. My guess is it will go a long way, and might win you some more loyal customers. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

@ skubarra - I hear you bud and I also think that R220 is steep for a fun ride as I am doing the West coast Express and paid R100 to enter.

I think at R150 they would attract a lot more riders and it would be great if they can tell us how much of the fees goes towards charity.

I can afford 220 Randelas

So, no personal challenge here. I am fortunate.

AND

The fact of the fee not being compatible with other race fees leave a big question, as mentioned before.

!!!

I'm thinking about the family with 3 kids that love to ride their bicycles and do these fun rides. How hard is it now to get in?

I'm thinking about the laaitie with passion and fever for cycling and he comes from a working class background and would not come close to getting in.

I'm thinking that cool prices is a misplaced priority and that the gates must be opened wider for access.

I can afford 220 Randelas

So, no personal challenge here. I am fortunate.

AND

The fact of the fee not being compatible with other race fees leave a big question, as mentioned before.

!!!

I'm thinking about the family with 3 kids that love to ride their bicycles and do these fun rides. How hard is it now to get in?

I'm thinking about the laaitie with passion and fever for cycling and he comes from a working class background and would not come close to getting in.

I'm thinking that cool prices is a misplaced priority and that the gates must be opened wider for access.

Yip, R220 is easy for me to pay. But I am single, I dont have kids and a wife etc. If you have a wife and 2 kids and you all ride its gonna cost you over R1000 rand for the day, taking into account fuel, gels etc. Thats fricken crazy, and most people def cant afford that.

Archived