Should I get concerned? Cracked frame?

Rudi Pollard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That cutout looks kinda deformed. You're right to be worried.

i think the paint just cracked off. you can still see (barely) the outline of the hole. its pretty symmetrical. but the inside edges of that keyhole must be ragged. bit unusual for cracks to be radiating from it as the purpose of the hole is to relieve stresses that build up in materials with notches.

For those who dont know abit about fracture mechanics, for crack propogation to occur, there must be a localized build up of stresses in the material just ahead of the crack. When the localized stresses exceed the yield stress of the material, the crack jumps into the area of high stress.

That is why sharp internal corners in stressed components are a big no-no: they focus the stresses into a very small area increasing the risk of cracking. Chamfering with a gentle radius distributes these localized stresses over a wider area, dropping the stresses to below the yield point of the material. Same reason why the notch in your seatpost ends in drilled out hole that may or may not be slightly bigger than the notch.

Is your seatpost the correct size for the seatpost on the frame?

Is your seatpost the correct size for the seatpost on the frame?

Not 100% sure what you are asking but yes it is the correct diameter seatpost for the frame. It as a 400mm post and it is definitely not at its maximum extension.

Not 100% sure what you are asking but yes it is the correct diameter seatpost for the frame. It as a 400mm post and it is definitely not at its maximum extension.
yes, was asking that. sorry for the awkward phrasing. Edited by Capricorn

Stop asking questions on the hub............take to a Secialized dealer and ask how long it will take for a new frame to arrive.

You said that it is 2012, so it must still be under warranty. Paint shouldn't just crack without some form of movement in that spot. If there is enough movement for the paint to crack, there will be enough for the carbon to crack too.

Stop asking questions on the hub............take to a Secialized dealer and ask how long it will take for a new frame to arrive.

You said that it is 2012, so it must still be under warranty. Paint shouldn't just crack without some form of movement in that spot. If there is enough movement for the paint to crack, there will be enough for the carbon to crack too.

not necessarily. Carbon still has quite abit of compliance in it, probably a lot more than that of paint. You can't guess at this stuff: best way is to remove the paint.

Agreed in general: take it back to the shop for assessment. But don't be shy to ask the internet either: it can be helpful so as not to be BS'd by the store.

There is nothing wrong with getting another opinion (or a few dozen) here before going ahead and taking it to be looked at.

The owner has now armed himself with more knowledge if the bike shop are difficult about this.

With regards to the seatpost, only 7cm of the seatpost must be in the frame according to the manual (2013 carbon medium frame). That is past the max insert on the seatpost though (you can see the max line out of the frame)

Edited by koukie

With regards to the seatpost, only 7cm of the seatpost must be in the frame according to the manual (2013 carbon medium frame). That is past the max insert on the seatpost though (you can see the max line out of the frame)

Mine has quite a bit left so the max line is still in the frame. That is definitely not what caused the issue here

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I will definitely take it to the shop as soon as I have some free time. I only realised this late yesterday afternoon after washing the bike, and I wanted to confirm if my suspicions are correct or not. Will let you guys know how this turns out

I rode a Specialized frame like that with similar cracks for 3 years after it had been replaced under warranty (back when I worked at Specialized)... They are definitely paint cracks, Perhaps Specialized will warranty it under their 2 year paint warranty but considering its a 2012 model they may not....Depends on date of actual purchase.

Guest Smimby

You have it wrong way round ....not ONLY 7cm but MIN 7 CM.....

Here is an picture of the exact year and frame the OP is has.

2012 Epic expert.

post-29158-0-12015100-1405328954_thumb.jpg

EDIT

Adding the extract from manual for 2013 frames

post-29158-0-49290500-1405329204_thumb.jpg

Edited by Smimby

You have it wrong way round ....not ONLY 7cm but MIN 7 CM.....

Here is an picture of the exact year and frame the OP is has.

2012 Epic expert.

post-29158-0-12015100-1405328954_thumb.jpg

Haha, that is what I meant! Obviously you can adjust it as much as you like as long as there is still 7cm in the frame.

That is a tongue in cheek comment (before I get flamed)

I rode a Specialized frame like that with similar cracks for 3 years after it had been replaced under warranty (back when I worked at Specialized)... They are definitely paint cracks, Perhaps Specialized will warranty it under their 2 year paint warranty but considering its a 2012 model they may not....Depends on date of actual purchase.

always wondered what happened to cracked frames when they get replaced. what happens to the seriously f@#$% up ones?