Attacked on Helshoogte

Gerlach

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On your IDT

Make sure your doors and security gates are locked please, you dont want a gun in your ribs while doing a sufferfest session

WHAHAHHAHHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! Chukky!! best one ever man!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't think that's going to work with me. I normally use a wide leather belt with holster but its uncomfortable plus a tad heavy. all I need is for it to fall out and euthanize some poor gun free sa soul. I was thinking more on the lines what the cash and carry security guys use where its mounted on there chest( minus bullet proof vest)

SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL BE A TAD UNCOMFORTABLE.

Chaps, sincere question.

I live in the UK and a bunch of locals have asked me to arrange a cycling/tourist week for them around the Argus next March. Is it worthwhile to do rides in/around Stellenbosch?

I seriously dont want to ruin friendships and at tis rate, I am not sure its worth the chance.

Am I just being paranoid?

iT WILL WORK IF YOU STAY IN LARGE GROUPS. IF THERE ARE ANY WOMAN JUST BUNCH THEM IN. YOU CAN ALSO LOOK TO RIDE IN THE BRACKENFELL/ DURBANVILLE SIDE. NICE LONG OPEN ROADS WITH SOME LEKKER ROLLING HILLS.

Incident 1: Bike jackers attack with stick, get bike but no biker badly harmed

Incident 2: Biker buys gun, defends himself with gun and attackers run away, no one harmed.

Incident 3: Bike jacker buys gun and shoots biker off his bike, biker doesn't even see it. Person harmed and bike stolen

You guys are onto something here, bunch of geniuses!

Dogmatix - you are correct. like you said you wont see it but im not worried about that. its what happens now. no incident is the same and as much as we all say "it will never happen to me"...its when it does and what you are going to do about it. like I said earlier on, all to there own. I love my bike like I love my loved ones. its not negotionable. one must be a fool if they think the government or police is going to help you.

Chaps, sincere question.

I live in the UK and a bunch of locals have asked me to arrange a cycling/tourist week for them around the Argus next March. Is it worthwhile to do rides in/around Stellenbosch?

I seriously dont want to ruin friendships and at tis rate, I am not sure its worth the chance.

Definitely.. big groups will be fine.

Incident 1: Bike jackers attack with stick, get bike but no biker badly harmed

Incident 2: Biker buys gun, defends himself with gun and attackers run away, no one harmed.

Incident 3: Bike jacker buys gun and shoots biker off his bike, biker doesn't even see it. Person harmed and bike stolen

You guys are onto something here, bunch of geniuses!

If you defend yourself and the attacker runs away I would suggest you try maybe going to a shooting range and practice a bit !!

Chaps, sincere question.

It all depends...on how many winetastings you'll be doing .. :)

On a more serious note I think there will be quite a few cyclists about ..so most likely safer then ..

Dogmatix - you are correct. like you said you wont see it but im not worried about that. its what happens now. no incident is the same and as much as we all say "it will never happen to me"...its when it does and what you are going to do about it. like I said earlier on, all to there own. I love my bike like I love my loved ones. its not negotionable. one must be a fool if they think the government or police is going to help you.

I guess we are between a rock and a hard place, at this rate it is inevitable that the thread will come along one day "Rider shot for bike on a local trail", when that day comes I feel sorry for what cycling in this country has come to. Each to their own, it's your life

If you defend yourself and the attacker runs away I would suggest you try maybe going to a shooting range and practice a bit !!

If the attacker is unarmed he will get away probably? As said in another thread, there is quite a big distance between the head and the trigger

I guess we are between a rock and a hard place, at this rate it is inevitable that the thread will come along one day "Rider shot for bike on a local trail", when that day comes I feel sorry for what cycling in this country has come to. Each to their own, it's your life

That days already here !!

If the attacker is unarmed he will get away probably? As said in another thread, there is quite a big distance between the head and the trigger

:w00t: if the attacker is unarmed then he's not really an attacker . If he got a stick or a rock in his hand he is armed and dangerous .

MY MATE WAS SHOT IN THE LEG ON THE R44 GOING PAST CLOETESVILLE ABOUT 2 YRS AGO. YOU DO WHAT YOU NEED TO AND WE WILL DO THE SAME. :cursing: :cursing:

:w00t: if the attacker is unarmed then he's not really an attacker . If he got a stick or a rock in his hand he is armed and dangerous .

If you scared of a stick you shouldn't be on a MTB....

MY MATE WAS SHOT IN THE LEG ON THE R44 GOING PAST CLOETESVILLE ABOUT 2 YRS AGO. YOU DO WHAT YOU NEED TO AND WE WILL DO THE SAME. :cursing: :cursing:

You betta getta shootin rambo, lots a killing to be a done :thumbup:

no offence taken, but we can deny it or look the other way- its going to happen whether you like it or not. and for the record should our paths every meet and you in danger, I will protect you as my fellow cyclist , whether you like firearms or not.

Chaps, sincere question.

As other's have said, in a decent size group you should be fine.

BUT - you need to stay as a group on climbs etc. Stragglers 50m or more off the back may as well be riding alone, and can be picked olff without you hearing.

Ride social and stick together and you should enjoy some fine riding. Can especially recommend Franschhoek Pass, both side, and the coast road from Gordon's Bay through to Kleinmond. Many other good rides too.