Groupo - Ultegra Di2 or Force22

Tiny K

Ultegra Di2 OR Force22  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Which one?

• Ultegra Di2
    • Force22
    • Athena 11spd EPS

I have been using Ultegra Di2 for the last two months. I built the bike up myself. I had no issues with the build, other than getting the wires over the BB, as Spez wants it. The Di2 shifts well all the time, no issues. The way people talk about the electronic groupsets, the act like there has never been a failure on a mechanical group. I spent every second or third ride having to adjust my rear derailleur, and possibly should have changed the gear cables. No issues with the Di2. Not to mention the braking on the new Ultegra & DAce. It is phenomenal. My old bike had 7800 DA, and the brakes were OK. I had to quickly learn that you need to be more aware when braking, otherwise you are going to see your ASS :mellow: .

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

think of changing while hammering out of the saddle on an uphill and having a perfect shift...

Ah, you mean like Campag ???? :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

I rode Ultegra for about a year, then switched to SRAM red, the newest version. The Ultegra was quieter, but I liked the double tab shifter on sram.

Given the choice now, I would certainly move back to Shimano and go with electronic. No hesitation.

Rather go mechanical Campy like some others have said. No issues. If Nibali can ride it to win the Tour who am I to say its a no go.

Giro: Campy EPS

Tour: Campy RS

Vuelta: .....time will tell.

I've been riding di2 for 2 years. After the initial setup, the derailleur shifts perfect 100% of the time everytime. It's like I have a shifting fairy watching over me. I was frustrated by the mechanical groupset I had before, messing with the barrel adjuster to get it shifting.

Now I just ride. Di2 is head and mechanical is heart.

I have been through a huge learning curve due to the fact that I was an early adopter and my LBS had to learn with me. I have had all the possible failures that you can think of (several times in races) and STILL I would recommend it. Every time I could trace the problem and it was human error 99% of the time. Di2 all the way. Now it is the sweetest thing- think of changing while hammering out of the saddle on an uphill and having a perfect shift...

It's the failure during the race that I want to avoid, especially if I am wanting to up my game for the coming season.

Italian bike = Italian groupset

oh wait its a chinese frame isnt it, in that case use what you want :ph34r: :clap:

If JJ Cycling sell chinese carbon, then I guess so... :P

I have been using Ultegra Di2 for the last two months. I built the bike up myself. I had no issues with the build, other than getting the wires over the BB, as Spez wants it. The Di2 shifts well all the time, no issues. The way people talk about the electronic groupsets, the act like there has never been a failure on a mechanical group. I spent every second or third ride having to adjust my rear derailleur, and possibly should have changed the gear cables. No issues with the Di2. Not to mention the braking on the new Ultegra & DAce. It is phenomenal. My old bike had 7800 DA, and the brakes were OK. I had to quickly learn that you need to be more aware when braking, otherwise you are going to see your ASS :mellow: .

In the 4 years that I have been cycling, I have never had a mechanical groupo failure - 105 / Ultegra, Force.

Also, after changing gear housings, the cable will create groves in the line in which it runs under stress, and will require adjustment periodically until it settles in ;)

I just upgraded to SRAM Force & RED 22spd mixed....all i can say is wow! Shifting is so smooth!! Love it! Also it is quite light...but thats just me.

Don't forget to charge your batteries with Di2...happened to JOC at a race where his batery died...lol!

On "SwissVan's" point make sure it is wired correctly and nothing is rubbing, catching, pulling, etc. The key is doing the job right the first time.

As for the washing. I would happily ride mine under water. :whistling:

First ride out the box 80km from home I got caught in one mother of a thunder storm and the "rain" if I can call it that was bucketing down from all directions. After that ride with no problems I was sold.

Now when washing I use the hosepipe on full blast and have never had the slightest issue. :clap:

every few months I do however out some grease on the battery terminals and it's good to go.

Thanks, thats good to know.... I think i knew that but still my brain sends out panic signals when i think of washing it with a hose pipe...

I just upgraded to SRAM Force & RED 22spd mixed....all i can say is wow! Shifting is so smooth!! Love it! Also it is quite light...but thats just me.

Don't forget to charge your batteries with Di2...happened to JOC at a race where his batery died...lol!

It is lighter than Di2 - 350g (or something there abouts) - wanted to go Red22 but the price difference is crazy! Force 22's weight is the same as the 10spd version - just over 2kg's. Di2 is 2.6Kg's

No question... Di2.

I'm not worried at all by rain and the battery lasts forever but most importantly you get quick perfect shifts every time.

I think the battery lasts 2000km and every time you go to ride you just half press a shifter and you can see how much battery is left on the indicator. If its getting low, just remember to charge it after the ride. Or the next ride. Or the ride after that...

If someone runs out of battery in a race they can only blame themselves.

I have Di2 on 2 of my bikes and haven't had any issues over the last couple of years. I even upgraded the 10sp on one bike to 11sp myself. Simple to install and setup / maintain / upgrade with the free software (as long as you get the internal battery and usb charger to plug into the PC). There's also a couple of good sites online to help you if you want to do it yourself.

If something were to go wrong i'm confident enough to be able to buy the spare part/cable and replace. It's literally plug and play.

CWC had a special on the ultegra groupset not that long ago but otherwise i've found parts and cables on overseas sites for a big big discount over local shops if you dont mind waiting for delivery.

I've got a couple of spare parts that i could sell if anyone was interested (10sp rear derailleur, external battery, charger, a couple and cables and a junction box).

Edited by stanlives

It is lighter than Di2 - 350g (or something there abouts) - wanted to go Red22 but the price difference is crazy! Force 22's weight is the same as the 10spd version - just over 2kg's. Di2 is 2.6Kg's

I went for RED shifters, Force RD and FD, brakes, Casette and chainrings as weight saving is minimal and price difference is huge! (I use the powermeter crank so only needed the blades). Could have gone for the brakes but didnt really think of it at that time, lol.