2 x 10 vs 1 x 11

Nev1

Do normal people ride with XTR? I thought just the Pro`s do....

Anyhow the point i am trying to make is riding a 1x10 will be alot cheaper.

It sure it will be but, IMHO of course, 1*11 is all about that 10 giving the option to get a much wider spread of gears with just 1 blade, I may however be talking utter rubbish as usual ....

Edited by NotSoBigBen

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently changed to 1x10.put a 30tooth chainring i front and a 42 tooth at the back. Works so well. And you won't lack speed on the flats either. And like the other guys said. 1x11 is expensive and the drivetrain seems to need replacing very quickly. But thats what i heard.. Not a fact.

So you keep up with anyone on 'normal gears' with a 30*11 on the flats? #ekvramaarnet ....

It sure it will be but, IMHO of course, 1*11 is all about that 10 giving the option to get a much wider spread of gears with just 1 blade, I may however be talking utter rubbish as usual ....

Precisely. So - when factoring in the cost of the cassette, one should also factor in the cost of a replacement XT / SLX / XTR chainset (small blade, big blade) and the accompanying cabling (fully enclosed, of course) before comparing.

So you keep up with anyone on 'normal gears' with a 30*11 on the flats? #ekvramaarnet ....

I ride with a 36 up front (26" hardtail) and struggle to keep up on long flats with guys on normal gearing,

maybe im just week and cant spin fast enough.

11 Speed cassette = R3400

10 Speed cassette = R800

So 1 x 10 would be cheap, but 1 X 11 would be expensive...

So then after your initial factory fit 11 speed cassette goes tits up, you can replace it with a 1 X 10 and then it'll be cheap to maintain again?

Good thing with that is that when the one side wears, you can just turn it around and use the other - no wear! Instant new chainring!

If you meaning turn/flip the chainring around then I don't think that is possible.

XX1 defiantly not as the one side of the chairing is machined to fit the spider.

XO1 maybe but I think the chainring is also machined to fit the spider one way, you would also need longer chainring bolts and It will probably move your chain line in towards the frame.

X1 might work as there are 3 different cranks and I think the chainrings are symmetrical where they mount to the spider so only longer bolts and chain line to think of.

Not sure though? Just my 2c.

I changed to 1x10 last year. It cost me approximately R500 for the RF front ring - I already had a clutch derailleur and 11-36 cassette. I carried on using the same chain for a while and am still using the same 11-36 cassette. I find the 34t front a bit high when it gets really steep and may try a 32 t Rapide ring when its time to change the cassette and chain, or I could put a 40 or 42 tooth ring at the back for around R1k.

The l/h shifter now does duty as a dropper post remote lever and works way better than the stock lever. Its a no brainer

Your local riding terrain should be the decider. If you have lots of steep long climbs then it would probably be best to stick with 2*10. I live in PE and find that my 1*10 setup is perfect for the majority of terrain in this region.

1*11 is a complete ripoff, rather do your own 1*10 conversion. Provided you already have a clutch rear derailleur, you'll only need a chainring (Raceface are excellent approx R800) and I went the General Lee route which was around R2k. So off the bat it's far cheaper than a 1*11 and also very affordable to maintain.

I changed to 1x10 last year. It cost me approximately R500 for the RF front ring - I already had a clutch derailleur and 11-36 cassette. I carried on using the same chain for a while and am still using the same 11-36 cassette. I find the 34t front a bit high when it gets really steep and may try a 32 t Rapide ring when its time to change the cassette and chain, or I could put a 40 or 42 tooth ring at the back for around R1k.

The l/h shifter now does duty as a dropper post remote lever and works way better than the stock lever. Its a no brainer

I must admit I'm also thinking of a 32 ring. That, or I need to up my dose of HTFU in the mornings.

So 1 x 10 would be cheap, but 1 X 11 would be expensive...

So then after your initial factory fit 11 speed cassette goes tits up, you can replace it with a 1 X 10 and then it'll be cheap to maintain again?

I don't think you can put a 10 speed cassette on a 11 speed hub.

I must admit I'm also thinking of a 32 ring. That, or I need to up my dose of HTFU in the mornings.

i think you've done enough hardening. you need this:

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/112025429/Sewing_Kit.jpg

to achieve this:

http://anthonypugh.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/retoucher-anthony-pugh-mission-australia-man-a.jpg

:devil: :whistling: ^_^

ps: i bought myself the same kit..so.... :thumbup:

Edited by Capricorn

i think you've done enough hardening. you need this:

How will he eat his pies then?

11 Speed cassette = R3400

10 Speed cassette = R800

10speed slx cassette weighs 50grams more than a xt and costs R500 and i find it works just as good or even better than a xt

I agree with the guys that are saying the 1x10 route is the answer,I converted 2 bikes to 1x10 and must say I am enjoying it .When racing we use our 2x10's.

On a lighter note (no pun intended) my wife is 1,62m weighing about 50kg and she rides a 36 upfront with a 11-36 at the back,living in KZN we have some nasty hills,so gents me included I think we should HTFU!!!!! :whistling: