Courier Costs for Warranty Claim

Nicko

When it comes to e-commerce orders, any returns need to be paid for by the customers. Most e-comm stores have branches where you can drop goods off for them to return which wont cost you anything, except in petrol getting it there.

if you want a courier to collect from your house, that courier will charge you, it has nothing to do with the company who sold you the goods. That said, if said company runs their own vehicles, then they would collect free of charge, like Zando when ordering clothes.

I had a warranty claim on a crankset. Had to pay the courier costs which annoys the crap out of me. When I have a warranty claim on my BMW, they don't charge me to courier the parts to the dealership. Daylight robbery if you ask me.

If you purchased the crank from a shop and returned it to the shop then the courier fees are for the shops account/or their supplier not yours, making you pay is just passing the buck, not cool.

If it is a online store warranty claim its your responsibility to get it to them and back, as the store is the place of purchase but I have also heard speculation that maybe just getting it there is enough and the store must cover getting it back to you, not sure though, may be store specific on that one.

If you purchased the crank from a shop and returned it to the shop then the courier fees are for the shops account/or their supplier not yours, making you pay is just passing the buck, not cool.

If it is a online store warranty claim its your responsibility to get it to them and back, as the store is the place of purchase but I have also heard speculation that maybe just getting it there is enough and the store must cover getting it back to you, not sure though, may be store specific on that one.

Hi , bike was bought at my LBS , crank spindle was bent after about 3 months . Had to pay courier costs. LBS told me that's how the agent operates. to make it worse the warranty set cracked where the pedals screw in. Was sent another set, left crank was a 172.5mm and right crank 175mm. I only picked it up 3 months after the fact as I was using my mtb far more. Agent said sorry I should've picked it up right away and wont help me. So I've bought a 175mm left crank at my own cost. Not a happy bunny.

From what I've heard (and i could be wrong), Chainreaction Cycles will cover the cost of transport on any warranty related claims.

If a company in the UK can cover the costs to SA, why can't a Cape Town company cover the costs to Durban. And they still complain when people buy from CRC and not local.

Thats not really a fair comparison. Crc has economies of scale on thier side, a small little sa online shop doesnt make enough profit to cover those kind of expenses.

Hi , bike was bought at my LBS , crank spindle was bent after about 3 months . Had to pay courier costs. LBS told me that's how the agent operates. to make it worse the warranty set cracked where the pedals screw in. Was sent another set, left crank was a 172.5mm and right crank 175mm. I only picked it up 3 months after the fact as I was using my mtb far more. Agent said sorry I should've picked it up right away and wont help me. So I've bought a 175mm left crank at my own cost. Not a happy bunny.

bull****, the lbs is taking you for a ride, contact the agent directly or check with a different shop and confront y

The owner of the offending shop. If you still have issues change shops and make it known exactly why.

Edited by DaddyG

Yo Nicko, best guys to use are postnet. Cheap and cheerful.

In this case, it's common practice for the client to return the defective item to the store in question. If it were Leighs Cycle Centre, for example, you'd have to drive it there yourself....

That's out and out bullcrap.

I bought a brand new carbon handlebar from a CT online retailer.

When I received it it was scratched. I mailed them and told them I was not prepared to accept a damaged part.

I was told to send it back to them at my expense where they would examine it and determine if it was a warranty case or not.

As I told them: it was sold as a new product. If their packaging was bad and resulted in damage from transportation, why must I suffer as a consumer? I paid for an undamaged, new item

King_Crispy in your case I agree with you. If you received item damaged due to their bad packaging it's their fault.

I had quite a bit of angry people at one stage when doing warranties for marzocchi.

To give an idea of how warranties worked.

You as the distributor buy replacement parts from the supplier and it gets shipped to you with your choice of air or water freight.

So the part costs you the part, plus the transport.

When there is a warranty, you claim the part minus the shipping cost to you. You get a minimal labour fee for this. However you don't get to claim any shipping fees to and from the customer/bikeshop.

Now you might argue that it's your product so it's in your best interest to provide a back up service.

However with forks for example comes out on all different bikes so the company that imports the bikes get the money not you. So we actually lost all the way.

And the bigger the company the easier it is to absorb those kind of costs.

I can't say for other shops or distributors but that's how it worked for us.

^^ Lbs that sold the bike with shock or shock on its own should be paying the shipping fees/delivery to get a warranted part repaired, not the customer? If an lbs expects that then it makes sense to rather order online in the first place as there is little advantage shopping at the lbs, maybe it's just some lbs that take a chance like that?

Sadly must agree with this thread.

I am currently stuck in the same boat with CT shop, part broke in first usage, now its my cost and problem to return it.

Not only that but have had to buy another replacement part as I needed one ASAP, and have now paid twice for the fitment and technically 3 rounds of shipping (1st part, 2nd part and now to send 1st part back) :wacko:

Yo Nicko, best guys to use are postnet. Cheap and cheerful.

In this case, it's common practice for the client to return the defective item to the store in question. If it were Leighs Cycle Centre, for example, you'd have to drive it there yourself....

I used to use postnet, but the post office overnight service is cheaper. I posted a wheelset a few weeks ago, Postnet wanted 1200 bones volume charge where as post office charged 250 bones for the same item.

But if its under 1kg i think post net are 99 bones to deliver.

Is it not time that somebody forces the bike industry to comply with the consumer protection act. From what I understand this act forces the seller to cover any incidental costs related to a warranty if the claim is within 6 months