One of the reasons we're looking forward to moving to Spain :-)

Bonus

Wow this makes me green with envy.

What is a property in N Spain going to cost in ZARs?

I always said that if i could get a posting to Barcelona you wouldn't see me for dust....

Greatest lifestyle in Europe.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, not to burst any bubbles, but we have those signs all over the place here in Toronto, we even have entire lanes (apparently) only for cyclists. The reality however is vastly different.

I have cycled for years in the heaviest traffic in Midrand and been in some exceptionally dangerous situations, I have also had 30 wheeler trucks wait behind me to pass, Taxi's wave me through with a smile, car drivers waveing me to go ahead of them, people parping their hooters and giving a big thumbs up and a wave.

Much like here or anywhere else in the world.

The truth is SA is no exception, and the rest of the world is not some kind of Cycling Nirvana where you will free wheel in safety and freedom, there are short tempered people everywhere, there are people in a rush everywhere, there are people who transgress road rules everywhere and people who don't really care one way or another. Unless you decide to go live in a small village in Outer Mongolia, "population 4" you will have issues using any public road. Sign posts dont mean squat, its the people who, on the day, make or break any ride.

he said one of the reasons. I count a whole lot of reasons in your pic

Well I guess it covers reasons 1 through 8 then..

You missed the small difference between first world countries and SA - if you drive over a cyclist in, lets say, Switzerland, you're in REAL dang First, the cops are likely to care, not just go 'eish!'. No bribe possible so the cops can 'lose' the docket (try that and you'll get jail time), no slap on the wrist because you're of the correct political affiliation/skin colour etc, you'll probable lose your licence for a while (at least). If the court can prove you were under the influence or breaking any law before/during the accident, you'll face severe penalty .Sure they have laws against driving over people everywhere, SA just doesn't give a continental about said laws.

you're wrong...

http://imgur.com/gallery/RXqMri3 - "Mayor of town intentionally runs down cyclists and flees the scene. No arrests made."

it happens everywhere

I love Portugal as well

This is Sintra....I was here yesterday.......

Kranswurm I was there two week ago to see my dad not in Sintra but Algarve. Weather was hot ,love the small restaurant bread ,cold meats and cheese don't forget the wine . Came back with a extra 6 kg heavier . Have to ride it off . Enjoy

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ntDET74uqa8/TEmsCZWG3QI/AAAAAAAADQA/AsV4UKMraqk/s400/Paella.jpg

Paella?

We did a three week trip around Spain earlier this year. I saw a lot of MTB action in the south, near Ronda. The north coast, San Sebastian, Bilbao, Santander etc looks like prime off road area. Verdant hills, beautiful coastal paths.

In my view the European country where the cyclists own the road, is Italy. Two and three Cippolini lookalikes riding abreast in a single lane road with a string of cars patiently following is a common sight.

You missed the small difference between first world countries and SA - if you drive over a cyclist in, lets say, Switzerland, you're in REAL dang First, the cops are likely to care, not just go 'eish!'. No bribe possible so the cops can 'lose' the docket (try that and you'll get jail time), no slap on the wrist because you're of the correct political affiliation/skin colour etc, you'll probable lose your licence for a while (at least). If the court can prove you were under the influence or breaking any law before/during the accident, you'll face severe penalty .Sure they have laws against driving over people everywhere, SA just doesn't give a continental about said laws.

I hear your point and of course SA like any other country has its challenges, but lets take Canada for example, a first world country for sure, but in the news, now today, is a big story about a guy who in his truck, ran down and killed a rider on a motorbike. He was found to be DUI - Driving under influence - most likely alcohol, but here its seldom stated if its alcohol or narcotics.

At his trial it was also found he had a previous conviction for DUI.

Throughout the trial ABATE (a big motorcycle rights lobby group here in the USA) petitioned noisily outside court.

He got miserable 4 years, wholly suspended and his license was suspended for 12 months, the court found he had a low self esteem and various other personal problems, it was suggested he undergo social rehabilitation treatment.

Everyone is hollering its a crying shame,.......sound familiar.?

Driving under the influence is a big deal in SA too, believe me, and convictions are plentiful, you just never hear of them because the media likes to focus on the one that gets away, that's what sells, anarchy, mayhem, lawlessness.......not convictions and the due process of law.

If I listen to any conversation here in Canada they lament the exact same thing we do, traffic, irresponsible drivers, DUI issues, speeding, ...... its all the same, the world in general is very small and social ills are very much the same everywhere, for every issue you find in SA someone will find you a carbon copy elsewhere.

I will give you guys all a clear view of the pros and cons of Espana once we get there! :-)

Meanwhile, of course it won't be perfect, but we're looking forward to it.

B.

Two and three Cippolini lookalikes riding abreast in a single lane road with a string of cars patiently following is a common sight.

What an image!!

Belgium, Holland and Swiss Land are also pretty cool like that.

I will give you guys all a clear view of the pros and cons of Espana once we get there! :-)

Meanwhile, of course it won't be perfect, but we're looking forward to it.

B.

Have a great adventure.

Send those pics now... Enjoy!