One of the reasons we're looking forward to moving to Spain :-)

Bonus

Kranswurm I was there two week ago to see my dad not in Sintra but Algarve. Weather was hot ,love the small restaurant bread ,cold meats and cheese don't forget the wine . Came back with a extra 6 kg heavier . Have to ride it off . Enjoy

I was there for a week and got back yesterday

Love the place

Unfortunately had my phone nicked out of my front pocket on a tram and lost all my pics

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear your point and of course SA like any other country has its challenges, but lets take Canada for example, a first world country for sure, but in the news, now today, is a big story about a guy who in his truck, ran down and killed a rider on a motorbike. He was found to be DUI - Driving under influence - most likely alcohol, but here its seldom stated if its alcohol or narcotics.

At his trial it was also found he had a previous conviction for DUI.

Throughout the trial ABATE (a big motorcycle rights lobby group here in the USA) petitioned noisily outside court.

He got miserable 4 years, wholly suspended and his license was suspended for 12 months, the court found he had a low self esteem and various other personal problems, it was suggested he undergo social rehabilitation treatment.

Everyone is hollering its a crying shame,.......sound familiar.?

Driving under the influence is a big deal in SA too, believe me, and convictions are plentiful, you just never hear of them because the media likes to focus on the one that gets away, that's what sells, anarchy, mayhem, lawlessness.......not convictions and the due process of law.

If I listen to any conversation here in Canada they lament the exact same thing we do, traffic, irresponsible drivers, DUI issues, speeding, ...... its all the same, the world in general is very small and social ills are very much the same everywhere, for every issue you find in SA someone will find you a carbon copy elsewhere.

For Muti murders you won,t !

Spain is awesome, I had the privilege of riding there last month. They have a 50km dedicated dual cycle lane from Madrid to the village we where went mountain biking from into the mountains. It was packed with riders all day long. Nice and safe - which I can relate to after I got taken out by a taxi on last Saturday on Allendale road :thumbdown:

One of the Tour de France Climbs that we plan on being within driving distance of . . . .

The sign tells you that the Climb is open but the Ski Station is closed post-4874-0-19313900-1407214203_thumb.jpg

I hear your point and of course SA like any other country has its challenges, but lets take Canada for example, a first world country for sure, but in the news, now today, is a big story about a guy who in his truck, ran down and killed a rider on a motorbike. He was found to be DUI - Driving under influence - most likely alcohol, but here its seldom stated if its alcohol or narcotics.

At his trial it was also found he had a previous conviction for DUI.

Throughout the trial ABATE (a big motorcycle rights lobby group here in the USA) petitioned noisily outside court.

He got miserable 4 years, wholly suspended and his license was suspended for 12 months, the court found he had a low self esteem and various other personal problems, it was suggested he undergo social rehabilitation treatment.

Everyone is hollering its a crying shame,.......sound familiar.?

Driving under the influence is a big deal in SA too, believe me, and convictions are plentiful, you just never hear of them because the media likes to focus on the one that gets away, that's what sells, anarchy, mayhem, lawlessness.......not convictions and the due process of law.

If I listen to any conversation here in Canada they lament the exact same thing we do, traffic, irresponsible drivers, DUI issues, speeding, ...... its all the same, the world in general is very small and social ills are very much the same everywhere, for every issue you find in SA someone will find you a carbon copy elsewhere.

My limited experience of Canada (Vancouver) was vastly different. Perhaps it was because we rode mostly in West Vancouver (the more affluent neighborhood). We found that motorists, bus drivers and truck drivers obey the speed limit (I think it was as low as 45kph). They wait until it is safe to pass and pass by using the oncoming lane, rather than try and squeeze past you on the road. The first few rides it was quite disconcerting to look back and see 10 to 15 vehicles waiting patiently to pass. When I pulled over to let them through a passing cyclists asked me if I had a problem? I said no, I was worried that the cars would get impatient. He just laughed and said "Welcome to Vancouver!"

Edited by GLuvsMtb

• 1 month later...

We've seen some lovely countryside during this years Vuelta - although they didn't quite go through the area we're interested in moving to.

Looking forward to putting our plans into action now :-)

What an image!!

Belgium, Holland and Swiss Land are also pretty cool like that.

COOL being the operative word......with WET being the other one

Unfortunately had my phone nicked out of my front pocket on a tram and lost all my pics

This kinda makes Grumpy's point, in another way.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've just entered TransPyrenees 2015 and very excited to experience this part of the world - and there's no better way to really experience a country than to ride across it on a Mountain Bike. Anyone else interested in joining us? Check out www.transpyr.com

I have returned from a month's holiday to Spain. The road network is brilliant and the drivers do take care.

The roads are full of cyclists including a lot of lone riders, females included.

The passes around the Sierra Nevada mountain range are filled with riders every weekend. We stayed in the hills outside Malaga and you often saw MTB's going up or down after dark in the evenings by their lights.

The cities have huge scooter computer populations including young girls to old grannies.

My two cents worth, the Spanish population are fortunate not to have any of the Saffas aggression which makes for a harmonious lifestyle. The average Spaniard is by far poorer than us in SA and gets on with life as best they can.

Started our Spanish lessons tonight. Bit tricky with the masculine and feminine stuff, like French, but we'll get there.

:-)

Yeah that stuff is quite tricky, took me a while to get used to it. Also remember that they speak different dialects of spanish in different regions - i cannot remember them, but the basics stay the same. I would move to spain in a heartbeat. Specially their country side. We had a look through some of the properties for sale in Deia, but wow it was crazy expensive. The country side has some beautiful places. Lots of old small towns all over the place. 

You wont believe how jealous i am right now reading your story. 

All I can say is GO FOR IT and have fun! :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Now I am going to cry in the corner.

Oh also, LOTS of place to ride. Bicycles everywhere all over the place, and motorists and cyclists respect one another. 

Sun sets quite late, well it did when we were there, so after work people are quite active (jogging/cycling). very nice vibe at that time. 

My brother left SA last week.  Went to France (near Cannes) to go and work there.

One thing that is absent... Trash everywhere. Streets are clean.  People have respect for others.

This kinda makes Grumpy's point, in another way.

At least he wasn't shot or stabbed for his phone... A common enough occurance here in SA.

I do miss the European light summer evenings.

There will be things about SA that we will miss too though, I'm sure.

You guys and girls will all be invited to the house warming once we get there though, ok?

B.

Edited by Bonus