What's the best wearable monitor to get and why

Looking at bluetooth heart rate monitors that can interact with Android?

Looking at Wahoo, Garmin and Tom Tom, all around R800, and the Polar H7.

Which of these are best in terms of:

1. Straps and fitting

2. Batteries - charging or replacement?

3. Spares and support?

My gutt feel tells me Polar should be strong contemder with their good backup?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at bluetooth heart rate monitors that can interact with Android?

Looking at Wahoo, Garmin and Tom Tom, all around R800, and the Polar H7.

Which of these are best in terms of:

1. Straps and fitting

2. Batteries - charging or replacement?

3. Spares and support?

My gutt feel tells me Polar should be strong contemder with their good backup?

I'm with you. They all look great but I'm leaning towards the Polar as it's got the ability to transmit to some of their watches via 5GHz as well as phones via Bluetooth LE. What's not clear is if it can transmit to both at the same time. Bluetooth to phone for Strava and to watch so I can see the heart rate in real time.

From the reviews I've read, they are all good with the Wahoo and the Polar in particular getting really good reviews.

Tx

I think they are starting to make wrist straps that pick up heat rate. Personally I think it a win not having to ware a chest strap.

I use my garmin ant+ strap with my note 3. No dongles. But I must say, that new garmin is looking mighty fine, especially with the ability to receive smart notifications!

Thanks Chris. The straps dont last forever and with Polar its easy to get replacement straps, they are close to us in case we need support.

Not sure if wahoo has good local backup

Garmin accesories expensive compared to Tom Tom and others

Thanks Chris. The straps dont last forever and with Polar its easy to get replacement straps, they are close to us in case we need support.

ummm newbie ( ;) ) question - but who are the polar agents? Can you send a watch to them directly to have repaired ?

Or do you have to go through a retailer that will rip you another one ?

ummm newbie ( ;) ) question - but who are the polar agents? Can you send a watch to them directly to have repaired ?

have sent a watch numerous times via the counter to counter option from the post office.

they send it back the same way.

IHF Products cc

P. O. Box 4021

Halfway House

South Africa

Tel: 011 805 1028

Fax: 011 805 5498

You can send directly to them. They are situated in Midrand. I always drived through and waited for the repair. Have to make an appointment though.

You can send directly to them. They are situated in Midrand. I always drived through and waited for the repair. Have to make an appointment though.

They also always have a cool quick turnaround service at the Argus expo complete with techies etc. That said, Garmin FTW. Unrivalled after-sales service year round.

Just overheard a discussion between my wife and her mate

What's that on your arm

Oh it's a FitBit exercise thingy I got as a gift but I'm still fat .....

Im ordering the Garmin Fenix2. Very good reviews and imo looks better than the Suunto. And getting an awesome deal on the garmin with autostyle vs what its sold for in the shops.

Hello Arthurb,

We are the local distributor for the Wahoo Fitness range. I would like to give you assurance that our support locally on all our Wahoo products are on standard. All products ship with a 1 year factory guarantee.

If you would like to talk to a sales representative please do not hesitate to phone us on 0861 BIZ NIZ (249 649)

Cheers!

I'm with you. They all look great but I'm leaning towards the Polar as it's got the ability to transmit to some of their watches via 5GHz as well as phones via Bluetooth LE. What's not clear is if it can transmit to both at the same time. Bluetooth to phone for Strava and to watch so I can see the heart rate in real time.

From the reviews I've read, they are all good with the Wahoo and the Polar in particular getting really good reviews.

Tx

Hey Chris,

An interesting point on the Wahoo HR Belts. The new Family of TICKR belts have both Bluetooth LE and ANT+ built in, so you can hook up your smartphone (iOS and Android) and you watch (SUUNTO, Garmin, Bryton) at the same time.

Entry Level TICKR belt retails for R899

Im ordering the Garmin Fenix2. Very good reviews and imo looks better than the Suunto. And getting an awesome deal on the garmin with autostyle vs what its sold for in the shops.

All I can see on the autostyle website is the Fenix 1... can tell it apart cos the Fenix 2 is exclusively a black background watch. The one shown is black text...