2 x 10 or 3 x 10

RMmtb8r

Who else went to 2 x 10 and then back to 3 x 10?

Almost felt with my weight on the downhill I was running out of gears on the 2 x 10.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to 2x10. It's not bad, but thinking of going back to 3x10. I understand the appeal of 2x10 and even 1x10, but it's just not as practical. I prefer having all the gears available.

Shimano have just brought out the new Di for MTB and guess what... Triple crankset only.

I can now see on the downhill side that my speed has increased going back to 3 x 10. Interesting that the Di is only in the triple blade.

I went to 2x10. It's not bad, but thinking of going back to 3x10. I understand the appeal of 2x10 and even 1x10, but it's just not as practical. I prefer having all the gears available.

Shimano have just brought out the new Di for MTB and guess what... Triple crankset only.

Incorrect, available in 3,2, or 1x11

Went from 3x8 on 26 inch wheels to 2x10 on 29 inch wheels. The easiest gear in both cases is the same (in terms of distance traveled per pedal stroke), but on the 2x10 setup I loose only the very last/hardest gear compared to the 3x8. For mountain biking I think the 2x10 setup is ideal (maybe even 2x9), but for road it may not be (in which case 28-42 chain rings will be much better than 24-38).

If you had a 3x10 setup on a 29er, switching to 2x10 will probably give you a very big handicap because you loose several and not just one gear when it comes to the last/hardest gears.

Do you spend a lot of time on tar?

Edited by johanpre44

I went from 3x10 to 2x10 to 1x10, 10 gears is enough.

Less is more!

I recently changed my 3x8 to 1x8 and love the simplicity. To my surprise I found that I can still climb the hills, kind of you use what you have! Don't think I will be hitting any amazing top end speed with this setup, but if I work on increasing my climbing speed it may just average out.

Don't see the big issue here.

It's all about the ratio's

in a 2 x 10 you have 20 options,

in a 3 x 10 you have 30 options.

But in the end those options are based on the biggest and smallest rings front and biggest and smallest gears in the back.

You can make the biggest and smallest smallest rings front the same on a 20x10 and 3x10 and same applies to rear.

All that changes is the jumps between the options.

G

I'd you don't get the ratios right, the overlap can be a problem. With a 24/38, at about 15km I only have 1 gear option and I have to continuously change front small to big on the front. It's do-able, but can get annoying!

I want to change to 2X10 or 1X11. I currently run a 3x10 but I usually always ride the middle ring. Only use the big ring for the long downhills.

I'm similar, or I might use the small hills for those short hell climbs. or those long hellllll climbs that never wanna end,

Pretty sure I can reconfigure into a 2x10 but what for, considering the cost.

G

I want to change to 2X10 or 1X11. I currently run a 3x10 but I usually always ride the middle ring. Only use the big ring for the long downhills.