Cycling to School

Pure Savage

Rode every day, rain or shine from about std 1 - until std 8. The alternative was to walk, my parents didn't care to drop me off, so was up to me to get to and from school. I had a pink girls road bike in the beginning, and then got my Mom's old Hansom when I was in std 4.

even in 'merica winter?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20km every day rain or shine, with either cricket or rugby togs on my back, satchel between my legs, compulsory helmet and school blazer (blazer was a killer in summer!)

Ja jis, forgot about the blazer!, blazer on warm winter days or Assembly days were awful, but soldiered through,haha

Maybe they should make cycling an extra mural activity. Like Rugby, soccer, cricket etc.

Also starting one for some of the small kids from our school on the 31st of this month. We took em to NF a few weeks back and they loved it.

I use to ride to school, remember the ride into Irene was always fun.

And then even when I got my car I use to cycle to school in Lyttelton.

Then things just got too much when I was riding my racing bike to school and caught 3 Grd 9 kids trying to cut my lock.

Needles to say being a matric student who was always in trouble i was not worried about the disciplin .

after I gave them the beating they would never forget! Needles to say they got into **** and I didnt :)

Now I cycle from Centurion to Sunninghill everyday. Love commuting.

Seeing all those frustrated people in traffic gives me joy when I get to the single tracks!

And the hotties at the robots....wow. They make any crummy ride worth it!!

Yip I use to ride to school, BMX, Raleigh Burner. It was all up hill going to school and all down hill from school to home.

Also did the cycling to school through my high school days and after school activities like hockey.. Times have changed. The local shop, bank and libraries dont have parking for your bicycle no more . . And people watching you "like what are you do doing" ! Guess they are think where are you going with your bike..aish..

Crazy stuff. I was at Blairgowrie High back in the 70's - there must have been 200 bikes in the racks every morning. Remember those wire carriers over your back wheel, and rubber bungie cords to tie the case on. (Well, that was still with the 3-speed Sturmey-Archer, but didn't look as cool with the 10-speed Peugeot "racing bike" - racing bars turned to the obligatory upright-and-backwards position of the time.

This Columbian honed his legs riding to school (up a mountain every day)

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_l6Oq6mYpdk/UoOnIHnCZbI/AAAAAAAAPMY/lCv0mANBW7k/s1600/9391754721_de1642f075_z.jpg

I had my biggest ever fall on a bicycle coming from school back in 1983 (those da6s the old Sub. B ). Fell myself into the hospital with a BMX on a nice long downhill before we got a very steep uphill before we got home. That sure were the days...................

Edited by BennieGerber