Effing import duties!

AndrewF

Morning hubbers.

My wife ordered me some clothing online for my bday coming up. She just messaged to say the post office slip states that it's arrived, but she has to pay 100% of what the items cost online. WTF?!

The items are clothing. Has anyone had an experience like this? 100%? That's insane! Is there any way to contest this?

Thanks in advance!

Scrumpy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning hubbers.

My wife ordered me some clothing online for my bday coming up. She just messaged to say the post office slip states that it's arrived, but she has to pay 100% of what the items cost online. WTF?!

The items are clothing. Has anyone had an experience like this? 100%? That's insane! Is there any way to contest this?

Thanks in advance!

Scrumpy

Clothing is the worst item to import but the import duty is not 100%. That is most likely VAT + duty + a handling fee.

Morning hubbers.

Thanks in advance!

Scrumpy

Clothing attracts about a 40% (supposed to anyway) and then 14% VAT.

Not sure if there was an invoice included with the parcel which they based the tax on or whether they took an average of normal cost and applied it.

As Helpmytrap says, there may also be a handling fee attached to it (e.g. if they opened the package to inspect)

Go to the SARS website - you can get the duty rates for anything from there.

Should not be more than about 40%.

Morning hubbers.

Thanks in advance!

Scrumpy

AFAIK it's 40% plus VAT. so closer to 60% in actuality - anyone else?

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Clothing is the worst item to import but the import duty is not 100%. That is most likely VAT + duty + a handling fee.

Yeah, depending on the handling fee, and cost of items, it may indeed come to 100% of the actual amount...

Make sure you present the real invoice - not a doctorred one.

I present bank statement and/or PayPal slip.

Subtract postage fees

Edited by porqui

not to brag, but two rather pricey articles of clothing sailed clean through yesterday. only paid VAT :P. so for me: 0% customs. for you, 45% :devil:

Read the sticky

Edited by Capricorn

Pre coffee Math fail on my part.

140% of the item price, plus vat = 159.6% of the original price (VAT is charged on Item Cost PLus Duty)

Hmmmm good point.

If it's a R100 item they add import duty @40% so total is R140 then they add VAT @14% so the total is R159.60

Total should be 59.60% duties and VAT.

The capearmpies are a genius.

Ok, so If she takes the invoice with to the post office, how the heck does she contest the charge? The PO are useless

Ok, so If she takes the invoice with to the post office, how the heck does she contest the charge? The PO are useless

It would probably need to be sent back to the Post Office depot where they have a foreign parcels counter.

Depends on how much the amount is, it might not be worth it.