Cannondale vs Giant 29er MTB

Furbz

Hi All,

need some advice.

i currently ride a 2012 Giant XTC Composite 0 (standard kit with tubeless conversion)

and i am seriously tempted by the follow 3 Cannondales

2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 3

2013 Cannondale F29 Carbon 2

2014 Cannondale F29 Carbon 2

All of the above have the same carbon frames and forks.

The 2014 Carbon 3 has basic WTB wheels. and i like the paint job.

spec'd is mid level Sram. allu bars etc

then the 2013 Carbon 2 has Stans ZTR Crest wheels. carbon crank and bars. save seatpost. Sram kitted.

and to boot its not that much more than the 2014 Carbon 3.

only think is the white grey is def not my first choice in bike colours...

Finally the 2014 Carbon

it is kitted with XT throughout. easton ea70 xtc wheels. and otherwise the same as the 2013 model..

its a fair bit more expensive over the 2013 model BUT its the paint job i want...

so is it worth moving to cannondale?

i hear once you go cannondale you never go back.

or is my current steed more than adequate?

Edited by Furbz

The flash is an awesome bike and the lefty completes the package. Once you ride a lefty, every other fork is sub standard. I would go for the one that has the bet components because everything is pretty much the same across the frames

sold my sc highball carbon HT recently & bought a 2014 scalpel, no jokes its insane how good the lefty is compared to Fox I rode with. The rear shock locks out really stiff so to me its as good as a HT. Think about the scalpel best of both worlds. Try buy better components option, small price to pay for a big advantage

so the carbon 3 is out...

and the 2013 Carbon 2 can be kitted with XT for about the difference in the bikes... R9k for full XT from CWC cycles...

wheel wise which are better?

the easton EA70's or the crest XTR's?

next issue.

according to www.competitivecyclist.com i fall directly in-between a small and a medium size frame

would going for the smaller frame be the better option rather than riding a frame ever so slightly to large?

Maybe find out what size is available. I know small is sometimes hard to find.....making the decision easier

Maybe find out what size is available. I know small is sometimes hard to find.....making the decision easier

they have both in store...

i recon i am going to go in store and set the saddle height to my current setup.

then check which looks more correct for the bike

I bought the 2013 Carbon 3 and did a few upgrades, first thing was to go to Crests so if you can do that from the start go for it!

Echoing the comments regarding the lefty. I went from a SID Ti 100mm to the PBR 90mm and I can't believe the difference! That left it just amazing from absorbing vibration to taking big knocks.

Honestly see if you can take a F29 for a test ride, maybe via Bruce's in PTA, but get your credit card ready when you come back.......

I fit an angled headset and a set of ZTR Archex hoops on my similar Giant and it transformed the bike. I made the head angle 1 degree slacker, and in hindsight should have gone 1.5 to make it 70 degree.

On the other hand of you are itching for a new bike, go buy a Cannondale and enjoy it.

I am 5ft 11.5 inches and 82 kg I ride the Medium carbon flash. The 2014 with the full xt. I fall in-between M and large but am really comfortable on the Medium. the 90mm travel on the lefty is adequate for xc. I rode a BMC carbon Hard tail before this bike and I am really happy with the Cannondale. Note though the bar height on the Cdale is tall and it is a mission to get the bars way down. I am actually enjoying the more upright position and it has not compromised my climbing.

thanks for the help guys,

i've ridden the very entry level bike on the pump track at cyclelab. it was a large and even with the basic spec i couldn't get over how good the lefty felt.

hence my interest in changing bikes...

i'll keep you posted with my decision!

Can't comment on the actual bikes but Cannondale is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cooler/hotter in my eyes... If you love her, you will ride her (the bike)

I can post pics of the Flash 3 updated with sexy wheels and parts etc. to get you motivated...... ;) Good luck on the purchse. The thrill is in the chase!

Also, overheard a salesman in Cyclelab Fourways this weekend, telling a customer that the cannondales will be going on special form the 25th of this month.