Single speed commute to work possible ?

JohnnyReggae

I have a 32km round trip to work and back for my commute using my 27 speed mtb, of which I only generally use about 5 gears ... usually to get going faster, but always end up in 1 particular gear for most of the ride.

So yesterday I decided to stick in that one gear for the whole commute. Surprisingly I managed it ok, despite it being quite a high gear, 42T in front and 18T at the back (Large chain ring in the front). The steepest climb I have from Main road up behind the Baxter Theatre was quite tough, but I still managed it.

On the ride as a whole I only "lost" about a minute or so going to work, and maybe a couple on the way home due to not being able to kick into a high gear to get more speed going. What I did find is that the ride was a lot easier mostly because I couldn't push myself hard going downhill so I just sat and enjoyed the ride.

Makes me want to do a conversion to a single speed :D Was great not having to think about changing any gears

SS is the best solution if you do lots of commuting ... will keep your running cost low low low!

SS is the best solution if you do lots of commuting ... will keep your running cost low low low!

That's the plan I rekon. I'd like to get rid of some of the cost of spares replacement, and also simplify the ride so that I have less mechanical issues. I don't have cash at the moment to accomplish it. I haven't looked into it to much yet, but what would a ball-park figure be to convert to a single speed ?

That's the plan I rekon. I'd like to get rid of some of the cost of spares replacement, and also simplify the ride so that I have less mechanical issues. I don't have cash at the moment to accomplish it. I haven't looked into it to much yet, but what would a ball-park figure be to convert to a single speed ?

You can go really Ghetto, but I recon you could do the following successfully.

Keep the front chainring and get hanger bolts or spacers to make the chain ring work as a single ring (Cost Cheap) or buy a proper SS chain ring around the R400/R500, but shop and search ... not so cheap

Tensioner ... Rapide sports have the on-one spring loaded tensioners for R185.00 ... worth every cent, don't skimp here

http://www.rapide.co.za/

Chain ... cheap as chips 8spd chain .... around R60/R70

Get old Cassettes from your LBS, break them up and use the plastic spacers to get your SS cog aligned with the front chain ring.

You can use one of the cogs from the broken cassettes to start with, but if you can lay down the extra cash a proper unramped cog is the way to go. Old cog = 0 ZAR, new SS one around R100.00

Look here and see what works for you .... the NW chain rings will also work well as a SS chainring.

http://www.rapide.co.za/c228/Single-Speeder.aspx#.U_tLKPm1ZMB

I have a 32km round trip to work and back for my commute using my 27 speed mtb, of which I only generally use about 5 gears ... usually to get going faster, but always end up in 1 particular gear for most of the ride.

So yesterday I decided to stick in that one gear for the whole commute. Surprisingly I managed it ok, despite it being quite a high gear, 42T in front and 18T at the back (Large chain ring in the front). The steepest climb I have from Main road up behind the Baxter Theatre was quite tough, but I still managed it.

On the ride as a whole I only "lost" about a minute or so going to work, and maybe a couple on the way home due to not being able to kick into a high gear to get more speed going. What I did find is that the ride was a lot easier mostly because I couldn't push myself hard going downhill so I just sat and enjoyed the ride.

Makes me want to do a conversion to a single speed :D Was great not having to think about changing any gears

On my old commute I used to do before which was pretty flat my fastest times were on my SS eventually it was all that I used and you just hit climbs harder and don't waste time "looking" for the right gear, but my current commute loop does not allow for SS (nor my commute partner) but it's still one of the best ,cheapest bullet proof way of commuting

You can go really Ghetto, but I recon you could do the following successfully.

Keep the front chainring and get hanger bolts or spacers to make the chain ring work as a single ring (Cost Cheap) or buy a proper SS chain ring around the R400/R500, but shop and search ... not so cheap

Tensioner ... Rapide sports have the on-one spring loaded tensioners for R185.00 ... worth every cent, don't skimp here

http://www.rapide.co.za/

Chain ... cheap as chips 8spd chain .... around R60/R70

Get old Cassettes from your LBS, break them up and use the plastic spacers to get your SS cog aligned with the front chain ring.

You can use one of the cogs from the broken cassettes to start with, but if you can lay down the extra cash a proper unramped cog is the way to go. Old cog = 0 ZAR, new SS one around R100.00

Look here and see what works for you .... the NW chain rings will also work well as a SS chainring.

http://www.rapide.co...px#.U_tLKPm1ZMB

WOW !! Thanks for the info Hairy :thumbup:

I was beginning to think that I would have to wait a few months before I could do something, but you have fuelled the fire even more now seeing that I can do it on the cheap to start with. Maybe I should go chat with Guy on my way home to see if I can source some old cassettes. I have 1 old one that I replaced a few months back.

Just another question on gear ratios. I see most front chainrings for SS are either 32/34/36, and rear go from 16-20. I assume I just choose a ratio that I feel comfortable with ? or are their certain recommendations ?

WOW !! Thanks for the info Hairy :thumbup:

I was beginning to think that I would have to wait a few months before I could do something, but you have fuelled the fire even more now seeing that I can do it on the cheap to start with. Maybe I should go chat with Guy on my way home to see if I can source some old cassettes. I have 1 old one that I replaced a few months back.

Just another question on gear ratios. I see most front chainrings for SS are either 32/34/36, and rear go from 16-20. I assume I just choose a ratio that I feel comfortable with ? or are their certain recommendations ?

The only rule is that you go with the ratio that works best for you

On my old commute I used to do before which was pretty flat my fastest times were on my SS eventually it was all that I used and you just hit climbs harder and don't waste time "looking" for the right gear, but my current commute loop does not allow for SS (nor my commute partner) but it's still one of the best ,cheapest bullet proof way of commuting

Tell your partner he is becoming a soft ass.

Tell your partner he is becoming a soft ass.

more like reckless, leaving me to ride alone :whistling: :whistling:

The only rule is that you go with the ratio that works best for you

and also the terrain which you are riding, and as you become stronger you can change your ratios

• 4 weeks later...

How'd the conversion and SS commuting go? I should have my new SS by Tuesday, and will be commuting with it from now on!

How'd the conversion and SS commuting go? I should have my new SS by Tuesday, and will be commuting with it from now on!

I've had to put it on hold for a little while. Seem to have damaged my right knee by pushing to hard in a low cadence trying to stick in 1 gear with my saddle too low. So have had to change a few things like saddle height and how much I stand up etc... So I'm currently nursing my knee, but still riding ... just taking it a little easier.

The SS thing is still definitely on the cards as I am getting more used to sticking to 1 gear and managing it quite well.

Archived