Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

Was the placement of open air urinals without any form of shield appropriate where 35 000 cyclist need to check in? 

How windy was it?

It can be a dangerous situation with all those gusts.

:huh:

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aggh no man that sucks. I hope you werent goign too fast though as all these bike racks have a max speed limit. I know Thule states not more than 120Km/w

Sucks big time, just correction, I was on the old west coast rd not the N7, got the roads mixed up, I staid over in Melkbos, it happened between melkbos and tableview

Was the placement of open air urinals without any form of shield appropriate where 35 000 cyclist need to check in? 

Haha!

Didn't notice that!

Here are some pics from the weekend from the GoPro. Trying to load the whole thing to the youtube.

This is the close call on the M3, with the guy dodging the sign.

post-11806-0-22132400-1425898494_thumb.jpg

This youngster, I keep forgetting his name is a serious talent for the future, raced with him for 2 seasons now and is impressive!

post-11806-0-61700900-1425898393_thumb.jpg

post-11806-0-75155800-1425898347_thumb.jpg

post-11806-0-16522400-1425898357_thumb.jpg

post-11806-0-93418400-1425898364_thumb.jpg

post-11806-0-29676500-1425898377_thumb.jpg

post-11806-0-49928600-1425898386_thumb.jpg

post-11806-0-04039100-1425898405_thumb.jpg

post-11806-0-46961600-1425898428_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics from the weekend from the GoPro. 

What group were you with?  VA/VB? 

This youngster, I keep forgetting his name is a serious talent for the future, raced with him for 2 seasons now and is impressive!

Devin Shortt - u/16 National Road Race champion

Guest Smimby

The problem comes when they are behind you, you go wide and cut in on the corner while they see a gap that soon closes. The logical thing to do would be to simply remain behind me and take advantage of a tandem kicking out of the corner at speed for a nice slipstream. Hearing the shrieks of a lady rider followed by the sound of a wheel locking up is never pleasant. The swearing at me and my partner afterwards was also VNSL 18. Fortunately we all stayed on our bikes.  

Everyone is says to keep your line, but now I see that it is common practice for tandems to cut the corner....surely this is dangerous as MOST riders dont know that is what you going to do?

Think the new start loading procedure works well with the A-H pre-loading chutes. Maybe for next year they can also have a separate 1X, 2X holding area.

Pictures or it didn't happen! :ph34r:

Here are some pics from the weekend from the GoPro. Trying to load the whole thing to the youtube.

Please let us know if you manage to upload to youtube, I was in your group. Also meant to film the ride but remembered too late on saturday to pick up the GoPro mount.

Guest Smimby

I have to agree. Anyway what does it mean? If they mean I need to hold their line they need to be in front of me, otherwise I can't see them.

If they are behind me they can see what my line is. It is MY LINE after all.

You don't here these comments in the racing bunches and they are all over the road all the time. No one cares, they just know where everyone is and work with what they have.

I always understood the "hold your line" to be that two cyclist must be go around the corner the way you entered it like in the red lines on the picture

But it seems tandems want to or NEED to take the green line? Do I have it wrong?

post-29158-0-87935300-1425900422_thumb.png

I always understood the "hold your line" to be that two cyclist must be go around the corner the way you entered it like in the red lines on the picture

But it seems tandems want to or NEED to take the green line? Do I have it wrong?

attachicon.gifline.png

A tandem captain that knows his story will "hold his line" in a group. If he doesn't, then he is stupid and will do the same thing when riding a normal bike. That said, tandems can build up speed like you cannot believe on the down-hills. They don't brake as sharply as a single bike and cutting a corner like that is one way of making it around if you carry too much speed into it. Again, a good tandem captain will brake earlier for a sharp corner and not have that problem.

Archived