Cape Town Cycle Tour (The Argus) 2015

Winstonian1984

I always understood the "hold your line" to be that two cyclist must be go around the corner the way you entered it like in the red lines on the picture

But it seems tandems want to or NEED to take the green line? Do I have it wrong?

attachicon.gifline.png

One of the reasons why tandems and singles in a bunch is dangerous, at least for racing. The dynamics for the two bicycles are different, not just the lines used, but also speeds at different places, eg. into corners, hills, etc.

I still one day want to race a tandem. Sounds exciting and fun!

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have done a few training rides with friend who rides tandem with his daughter and you get to learn the dynamics of riding a tandem even though your not on the bike with them, even just watching how they need to ready themselves and count down for a climb out the saddle, takes great skill.

They loved making me chase on the downs and flats, and then I would give them stick up the hills, great fun ^_^  

Pfft! Tandems , Can't think of anything worse..... Imagine the person on the back,  inches away from ass sweat. 

Highlight: Seeing so many people still come out and ride, and enjoy it.  :thumbup:

Low-light: Seeing members of "Cape Town Giants" shouting at people to get out the way as they are racing past. To put into perspective, I was riding in 8D which is not the racing end of the field. So if you come past with a 2C number shouting at people you can GAFY.

How is this for an idea?

Considering the same Nolan Hoffman won both last years and this years race I don't think the route changed much of the outcome!

As I have ridden 32 of these events and some 14 Giro del Capo (which I am glad to say the Tour de Boland have filled this gap) I liken the Cycle tour over the years to cricket!

With the Giro - The Argus was like a 5 day match!

At 109 km it was like a limited 50 over match!

At 47km its like a T20!

Which is best to watch of spectators - the T20?

I am now starting to think the 1st Cape Town Cycle tour by default choose the correct route and should always just be 47 km unlike what The Argus tour which was at 109km.  Their should be limited / NO prize money for the Cape Town Cycle tour but still seeded categories and all other prizes. Lets face it one of the original draw cards to the Argus was been legally been able to ride the M3 - now we did it in both directions! To shut off 1 freeway for the whole day of a year just for cyclist sounds quite appealing - and hopefully would mean they could increase entry to say 120 000 cyclist!!! The Cycle tour is one of the few events which sees half its profits going back to cycling via PPA. The other half to Rotary. Considering how the deep south / souther suburbs has expanded in population over these 32 years - how much longer will residents still allow the greater peninsula to be shut down for half a day - while the Atlantic sea board for most of the day?

Now why would the “Pro’s” ride and if they were not riding who would you compare your times too?

Simple at 12h00 or 13h00 The Cape town cycle tour has a criterium on the route of the recent Engen Crit at or if possible the proposed F1 route at Green point stadium. This would allow for a great live cycle race in front of the riders  who were interested in watching and had finish the Cape Town cycle. On this event their need to be huge prise money and say the 1st 75 from the morning race are allowed to race! The same can be done for the ladies!

How does that should to fellow hubber and basically growing the sport of road cycling as far more people will find just 47km far more achievable?

How is this for an idea?

Considering the same Nolan Hoffman won both last years and this years race I don't think the route changed much of the outcome!

As I have ridden 32 of these events and some 14 Giro del Capo (which I am glad to say the Tour de Boland have filled this gap) I liken the Cycle tour over the years to cricket!

At 47km its like a T20!

I am now starting to think the 1st Cape Town Cycle tour by default choose the correct route and should always just be 47 km unlike what The Argus tour which was at 109km.  Their should be limited / NO prize money for the Cape Town Cycle tour but still seeded categories and all other prizes. Lets face it one of the original draw cards to the Argus was been legally been able to ride the M3 - now we did it in both directions! To shut off 1 freeway for the whole day of a year just for cyclist sounds quite appealing - and hopefully would mean they could increase entry to say 120 000 cyclist!!! The Cycle tour is one of the few events which sees half its profits going back to cycling via PPA. The other half to Rotary. Considering how the deep south / souther suburbs has expanded in population over these 32 years - how much longer will residents still allow the greater peninsula to be shut down for half a day - while the Atlantic sea board for most of the day?

Now why would the “Pro’s” ride and if they were not riding who would you compare your times too?

Simple at 12h00 or 13h00 The Cape town cycle tour has a criterium on the route of the recent Engen Crit at or if possible the proposed F1 route at Green point stadium. This would allow for a great live cycle race in front of the riders  who were interested in watching and had finish the Cape Town cycle. On this event their need to be huge prise money and say the 1st 75 from the morning race are allowed to race! The same can be done for the ladies!

How does that should to fellow hubber and basically growing the sport of road cycling as far more people will find just 47km far more achievable?

Not so keen, the first 5000 cyclists will be pretty bleak about missing out on chappies and suikebossie.

It was nice once off, but after one year you will lose your international contingent and the guys from JHB. It will dwindle in numbers and become a non event.

Don't touch whats not broken.

Also the route was not closed to traffic, people were stopped at Buitenkant for cars to cross, people got lank bleak about that.

The pro cycling calendar needs the Cycle Tour to gain exposure for sponsors and riders, downsizing this would really negatively affect SA pro cycling.

It was a nice once off. let 2016 bring back a proper 109km of suffering :D

Guest Smimby

How is this for an idea?

Considering the same Nolan Hoffman won both last years and this years race I don't

*Snip

Not the same, this years Nolan has 364 day more experience and it older by 365 Days.

:whistling:

Not so keen, the first 5000 cyclists will be pretty bleak about missing out on chappies and suikebossie.

It was nice once off, but after one year you will lose your international contingent and the guys from JHB. It will dwindle in numbers and become a non event.

Don't touch whats not broken.

Also the route was not closed to traffic, people were stopped at Buitenkant for cars to cross, people got lank bleak about that.

The pro cycling calendar needs the Cycle Tour to gain exposure for sponsors and riders, downsizing this would really negatively affect SA pro cycling.

It was a nice once off. let 2016 bring back a proper 109km of suffering :D

"the first 5000 cyclists" to get the sport to the next level we need an event with like 120 000 cyclist how do we do that?

I was not awear of the Buitenkant issue - but this would definately need to be sorted!

"The pro cycling calendar needs the Cycle Tour to gain exposure for sponsors and riders, downsizing this would really negatively affect SA pro cycling." The idea would be that the pro's wuld get 3 hours of TV - 1 hour in the Cape Town Cycle tour and 2 hours in the Crit plus all the live specators - live specators hopefully would mean apersonell connection with some riders and bring RSA cyclist back into house hold names like it once was!

Highlight: Seeing so many people still come out and ride, and enjoy it.  :thumbup:

Low-light: Seeing members of "Cape Town Giants" shouting at people to get out the way as they are racing past. To put into perspective, I was riding in 8D which is not the racing end of the field. So if you come past with a 2C number shouting at people you can GAFY.

agree these moffies think they own roads in and around Cape Town. Come and try that down Bottelary Road over weekends guys.... :w00t:

"the first 5000 cyclists" to get the sport to the next level we need an event with like 120 000 cyclist how do we do that?

I was not awear of the Buitenkant issue - but this would definately need to be sorted!

"The pro cycling calendar needs the Cycle Tour to gain exposure for sponsors and riders, downsizing this would really negatively affect SA pro cycling." The idea would be that the pro's wuld get 3 hours of TV - 1 hour in the Cape Town Cycle tour and 2 hours in the Crit plus all the live specators - live specators hopefully would mean apersonell connection with some riders and bring RSA cyclist back into house hold names like it once was!

Meh, I know personally I would struggle to click enter knowing only 47km and rather boring scenery.

The vibe from this year is not sustainable, it will fizzle out and the support from the side of the road will disappear. We can have the Crit the day before the event as a prologue to the main event. Best of both.

By getting 120 000 on bikes for one day, will this increase the sport, surely getting 3000 people regularly at all the fun rides is better for sustainability of the greater cycling communities.

#hammer

How is this for an idea?

At 47km its like a T20!

To me riding the Argus is about

1. The scenery
  2. The vibe

That is the "Competitive edge" that race has

Take that away and you'll see it dwindle like the rest of the races across SA.  There are such a variety these days which is awesome!

Started at the back of the last bunch, think we got away at 10h00

Slow traffic

People crying about all the hills  :clap:

Lots of people pushing their bikes

Great atmosphere

We stopped at all the waterpoints, chatted to some people and had a great time.

Will I do it again next year if its only 47km, No thanks

To me riding the Argus is about

1. The scenery
  2. The vibe

That is the "Competitive edge" that race has

Take that away and you'll see it dwindle like the rest of the races across SA.  There are such a variety these days which is awesome!

That was the vibe about the Argus - but the Argus is no longer!!

Potentially the Cape Town Cycle tour should be going back to the routes of the Argus a protest ride - The Cape Town Cycle tour possible should be something between a "moon light mass" and a funride. The 109 km is as pointed out is suitable for like 5000 people but I recon 47km is suitable for 120 000 people. A closed freeway is "safe" from motorised vehicles and easiest to managed as not too many driveways!

The ride would have value for these reasons:

1. Closed freeway

2. Timed

3. Still able to compare times against the best rider in RSA and maybe the world not to mention your work colleagues / friend.

4. Able to grow the sport even further and hopefully put more bums on bikes and thus raise further awareness of cyclist on the roads.

5. A Pro race to follow that the masses can watch live (kind of like the final stage of TDF but shorter circuit).

To name some!

As long as their is a stage race (Tour de Boland) in the Western Cape before the Cape Town cycle tour for the more competitive - all the racing snakes will be their!!!

Started at the back of the last bunch, think we got away at 10h00

Slow traffic

People crying about all the hills  :clap:

Lots of people pushing their bikes

Great atmosphere

We stopped at all the waterpoints, chatted to some people and had a great time.

Will I do it again next year if its only 47km, No thanks

All of the above happens when it is 109km so why would you not do it again? At 109km its just more the double the amount of problems / tears? I rode it twice last year 1st group $ and also last group 10h00 so I saw all of what you saw - just for 6 hours instead of 3 hours! Or are you saying in the last group you would also not do a 109km event?

How's this for an idea...

Don't change a thing

Too late the name has changed! Plus change is a good as a holiday!

Archived