Carbon damage - Repair?

stewie911

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad idea as superglue means nothing when it gets wet. Superglue with fibreglass? ? Uhm if you want to have it repaired rather do it properly with carbon fibre and the correct resin and hardner. With superglue and fibreglass you are just fooling yourself and you could have rather just sanded it smooth and put some clear over it as it will do the same job.

Superglue bonds anaerobically and can bond to anything if properly prepared. Epoxy does not bond chemically as it is inert - ie no etching agent. The resins used building cf frames have high shrinkage properties to grip the cf - just like reinforced concrete. If you want to use resin you have to strip the layup on either side of the fracture to an angle of 45 degrees to obtain a wedge action.The superglue can be purchased from hobby shops as can the fibreglass cloth - used to be made by K&B. The sanding is important to create filler material.

Does water not affect "raw exposed": carbon?

Thats not raw.

As to your question, it will only affect the carbon if it there is dirt and crap coming in and grinds away at the carbon. Like around the bb shell, carbon cranks etc. You will be suprised at how many carbon cranks i have repaired lately.

is it just me or does this not look bad at all? Keep riding :thumbup:

Yeah, quite superficial

I have a similar scratch and have used clear nail polish as a barrier

is it just me or does this not look bad at all? Keep riding :thumbup:

I am no expert, but I think that because the resin has already been applied the carbon would not actually be totally raw...its just one or two layers of the carbon that was damaged, therefore there will be more layers which are still in tact.... I might be wrong!

You are quite correct there. Infact this particular case looks more superficial and not into much carbon.

Superglue bonds anaerobically and can bond to anything if properly prepared. Epoxy does not bond chemically as it is inert - ie no etching agent. The resins used building cf frames have high shrinkage properties to grip the cf - just like reinforced concrete. If you want to use resin you have to strip the layup on either side of the fracture to an angle of 45 degrees to obtain a wedge action.The superglue can be purchased from hobby shops as can the fibreglass cloth - used to be made by K&B. The sanding is important to create filler material.

Stront!

Superglue is not meant for carbon repairs!!!!

You are quite correct there. Infact this particular case looks more superficial and not into much carbon.

My thoughts exactly - pat her sorry for the making her slightly less pretty and keep riding :w00t:

Take your frame to Annette of Cycledelic in Benoni. She will repair back to looking like new! 083 5541810

Stront!

here i was, just having a run of the morning Friday cuppa java - until i read this, coffee out of ones nose is rather unpleasent, shot for that BogusOne.....

This must be "reply of the week" short, concise and very much to the point.... :thumbup:

Another person doing awesome carbon repair work is David van Straaten (Henley-on-klip),did some repairs for me,and I am highly impressed. Pm me for his details if interested.

• 1 month later...

Does water not affect "raw exposed": carbon?

from my experience, what water does to a compromised area on a carbon frame... the exposed threads soak up whatever amount of water it can. from there, it doesn't seem to eat away at the uncompromised areas of carbon, but it does leave the damaged area in a weak state- better to keep dry.

Stront!

Um, I am going to disagree here...I fly and build model planes, among them some are some competition level Discus launch gliders made from carbon. I have repaired wings and fuselages using "superglue" as it is commonly known but its proper name is cyanoacrylate - and water does not affect it once dry. I also use fibreglass with cyano as well...Guess what? It works and works well.

There is a very big mythological following to carbon and in its essence its actually a very basic material to work with and repair. I have done a course or two at AMT Composites and learnt a lot from their courses...

The grade of carbon used in the majority of bicycle manufacture is a lower grade of carbon and this results in more layers needed to get the strength required...

Here is a vid showing the stresses that the gliders I mentioned go through on launch..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onFAnlK0M_4

WTF are you roadies on about ,treat Carbon fibre as glorified fibre glass, Go buy some CF resin, mix and apply... For **** sake!!  

It's not that technical guys

Archived