Mavic wheel fix, Pratley putty to the rescue

DirtyFrank

Over the lst 6 months I have noticed my Mavic ST tubeless front wheel( ss NN ) losing air. It didn`t stress me much and i put it down to a slow puncture(pick a sealed hole)or maybe low sealant. I was pretty slack about it but the other day the wheel was totally flat so I might as well have a look. Filled the wheel with a bit of stans and pumped it up only to have sealent spraying out the valve opening. Stripped the wheel and found the valve seat opening in the rim was severly damaged/corroded. Maybe some spanner jockey at a bikeshop damaged it in the past or maybe it corroded from the sealant/water/cleaning solvent....... Who knows what but i.m.o. the rim is now finished and I am not to keen to replace it, and probably half the spokes as well in the rebuild process .The wheelset is now 6 years + old and has done well over 20K kilometers which is probably good going but not worth spending too much dosh on.( saving for that Tallboy ltc).post-5378-0-22644900-1409841916_thumb.jpgpost-5378-0-69543700-1409841973_thumb.jpg

1. So out comes the Pratley steel

2. Clean opening and remove all gunk.

3. No cracks radiating out from the opening so probably still structurally fine.

4. Plug it right through to the inner rim, nice and solid with a decent blob of Pratley`s steel, smooth it to the rim inner profile

5. Make pilot hole in soft putty ( Just to allign the the drill later )

6. Wait 24hrs for it to set and drill through with 6,0mm drill and ream the inner opening to fit the Mavic valve.

7. Tyre,stans, pump, sorted.

Just be aware that the rim will be quite unbalanced now. Unless you put a big blob of Pratleys on the opposite side as well?

Great ghetto fix.

Just be aware that the rim will be quite unbalanced now. Unless you put a big blob of Pratleys on the opposite side as well?

Great ghetto fix.

It'll be a couple of grams at most. No real difference unless he's doing 100 kph or so...

It'll be a couple of grams at most. No real difference unless he's doing 100 kph or so...

And that's precisely when you want it bounce around, right? :ph34r:

Edited by GreatGusto