Chain Reaction not supplying certain brands to SA

davem

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think Matt Holmes (author of the letter) did himself any favours, read the comments, most of them are telling him to put on his big girl panties. Had to chuckle at the guy who suggested that "perhaps a letter to Tim Berners Lee complaining about the advent of the internet" would be more apt!

RaeFace disappeared off their product lists for SA a while ago, but I found them elsewhere on line.

Also, my last experience with CRC ended in wasted time: a refund, after they sent it DHL against my instructions, it got seriously messy and the service to sort it out was terrible, haven't been back.

What are your and everybody's thoughts about the letter? And wider, about CRC's business model?

The letter is 3 years old and while I feel for them, the way we do business worldwide is changing, all the time.

Being in the retail game (sort of), the major retailers are screwing the manufacturers on margin and trying to cut out the middle man. Great for the consumer, but by cutting out the middle man they're also cutting the number of consumers.

I see CRC (and other online sites) and the bike shops being in a similar boat. I think the online business is great for keeping prices from escalating but they don't deliver a service you'd normally get from having a good relationship with a bike shop.

In both cases, the major retailers/online are about pushing higher volumes for lower margins.

As long as I can get what I want for the best price, I'll go wherever that price is best (clothing excluded).

Since the Garmin repair centre was moved from Laser Park, the service IMO has deteriorated. If I phoned the old place for an accessory, they usually had stock and they would return my call. This new place has still not returned a single call - and they want my ongoing business when thet don't even have stock.

Now that CRC won't ship to SA, I need to make an alternative plan. Luckily Hong Kong has stock and I'll be there later this month.

bought my Garmin Edge 500 from CRC a while back :clap:

+1

And I bought garmin510 bundle for R3999 from cape union market (?)

What are your and everybody's thoughts about the letter? And wider, about CRC's business model?

Having spent nearly 20yrs in OZ,the winners are actually the customers.

Disregarding the strong AU$ today,even at 50cUS to the AU$ then,it seemed cheaper to buy online in the US

unfortunately for me.. e-commerce only just started going full speed around 10 yrs ago that side.. thereabouts,

Oz suffers the same issues as here..when it come to pricing and middle men,the only differenece is just minus a few zeros here and there...its still a rip off...

So... in summary...OZ is just as expensive as here, for locals there to buy sports,/music/luxury goods etc etc

The only advantage I can see is that more online stores post to OZ than to RSA..LOL

Disregarding the strong AU$ today,even at 50cUS to the AU$ then,it seemed cheaper to buy online in the US

unfortunately for me.. e-commerce only just started going full speed around 10 yrs ago that side.. thereabouts,

Oz suffers the same issues as here..when it come to pricing and middle men,the only differenece is just minus a few zeros here and there...its still a rip off...

So... in summary...OZ is just as expensive as here, for locals there to buy sports,/music/luxury goods etc etc

The only advantage I can see is that more online stores post to OZ than to RSA..LOL

Which brings me to another gripe I have about local pricing here,not necessarily bike related...

How come milk,bread,cereal and any other product manufactured right here in RSA,with its slave wage labour costs,happens to sell the same as $$ rated consumers goods overseas,which are manufactured with higher wages and costs?

That is where the problem lies..

Is it because of International market related prices?and dont want to rock the boat by applying the correct pricing formula for the local market?

Which could mean that exports pay retails prices for goods

and so... the Blue chip companies are coining it ..

and we wonder why slaves start to stike etc etc

Edited by exsanguinator

Which brings me to another gripe I have about local pricing here,not necessarily bike related...

How come milk,bread,cereal and any other product manufactured right here in RSA,with its slave wage labour costs,happens to sell the same as $$ rated consumers goods overseas,which are manufactured with higher wages and costs?

That is where the problem lies..

Is it because of International market related prices?and dont want to rock the boat by applying the correct pricing formula for the local market?

Which could mean that exports pay retails prices for goods

and so... the Blue chip companies are coining it ..

and we wonder why slaves start to stike etc etc

which brings me to another gripe I have about the naysayers that say RSA is going the Zim way etc etc...

Mates?not in our lifetime !

even if you are 18 yrs old today and legally allowed to post on forums...

There is too much money to be made right here in RSA by major corps,industry etc etc

Edited by exsanguinator

As do most smaller economies. Its really only the mighty US market that can withstand the onslaught of the internet sales industry, and even here there are signs of cracks in some of the smaller volume niche industries.

There are many alternatives to CRC, and I have not used them recently. E.g. I have found that bike24.com is normally cheaper

Don't mention Mavic!!!

Just place order in basket and then convert to rand.

Billing/delivery local SA address .

their system is geared for protectionizum!!

There are many alternatives to CRC, and I have not used them recently. E.g. I have found that bike24.com is normally cheaper

Fortunately, the same laws of competition apply to the online stores, so to keep them honest (ish) there's nothing to stop anyone from competing against the existing ones

Don't mention Mavic!!!

Just place order in basket and then convert to rand.

Billing/delivery local SA address .

their system is geared for protectionizum!!

In my experience Mavic is another product that CRC won't post to SA, so yeah, protectionism